Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 138214 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #750 on: 14 June, 2023, 08:51:04 pm »
Great

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #751 on: 21 June, 2023, 04:38:08 pm »
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/21/orca-rams-yacht-off-shetland-first-such-incident-northern-waters

You're goin' to need...

That's really interesting that the Portuguese population of orcas seems to have been telling the Orcadian orcas what to do.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #752 on: 10 July, 2023, 11:55:40 am »
Schloß Von Brandenburg has a new fence in its back garden.  Complete with a new hole.  In it.  Said hole being the work of hangry badgers.

I may have laughed, just a little.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #753 on: 22 July, 2023, 10:04:35 pm »
Badgers are good at that.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #754 on: 23 July, 2023, 07:49:06 pm »
Saw an adder and a marmot today.

I then discovered that adder/viper is Kreuzotter in German. I thought a Kreuzotter was a sweet whiskers mammal that eats fish and lives in streams. No, that’s a Fischotter.

Very cool to see a Kreuzotter and a Murmeltier though.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #755 on: 23 July, 2023, 09:45:18 pm »
Saw an adder and a marmot today.

I then discovered that adder/viper is Kreuzotter in German. I thought a Kreuzotter was a sweet whiskers mammal that eats fish and lives in streams. No, that’s a Fischotter.

Very cool to see a Kreuzotter and a Murmeltier though.

Always thought it was Natter. But a quick Google has shown me that Kreuzotter is a synonym. Every day is a school day.

Indeed it is very cool to see both in a day. Though I've seen both individually, never together, and I would have thought their preferred habitats were rather different.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #756 on: 24 July, 2023, 12:41:30 pm »
This was up a mountain - 1280 metres for the marmot, the viper was at under 1000 metres. Lush forests with streams for the viper, open grassland for the marmot.

Pics or it didn't happen:

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #757 on: 30 July, 2023, 08:57:51 am »
Last week the (20 acre?) field behind our cottage was finally cut. It usually goes for silage but this year the yield for that was so good it was left for hay. Every day since the cat has brought in 1 or 2 mice.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #758 on: 19 August, 2023, 11:50:11 am »
I think I have a homing slug.

Starting at some point during July, whenever I emptied the rain gauge after a wet day, there was a slug in there. Never before, in many years of emptying the rain gauge, has a slug ever been in there. But since the July wet spell, it has. I'm pretty sure it's the same one - greyish and medium-sized, as slugs go - and it was there again this morning. Each time it's been in there, I shake the rain gauge's inner cylinder quite hard, and the slug flies ten or fifteen feet across the garden.

Perhaps I should start regular checks throughout the day to see when it turns up again. I can't think of a way of fitting a miniature tracker to a slug...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #759 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:20:42 pm »
Killer cats!
Once a nation of cat-lovers, attacks on other animals and recovery in local fauna is reshaping attitudes toward felines

Tess McClure
Tess McClure in Auckland
@tessairini
Fri 18 Aug 2023 21.00 BST
Out in the bush beyond his house, John McConnell walks with his gun, looking for the glint of eyes in the darkness.

McConnell, 67, lives outside Auckland and spends much of his time planting native trees on this block of land, trying to restore parts of it to their original state to draw back the chorus of native birds. At night, he heads out to hunt the predators that threaten them: possums, rats, and these days, any un-collared feline unlucky enough to end up in his sights.

“I shoot them,” says McConnell. “Seriously. If it’s a cat and I know whose it is, I’ll leave it. But if it’s a stray cat – it’s a gonner,” he says. “Even if it’s domestic and it’s out at night, I’m getting to the point where I’d shoot those as well, because they shouldn’t be out.”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/19/bird-killing-machines-new-zealand-cools-on-cats-to-protect-native-wildlife
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #760 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:22:18 pm »
I read some time ago that (in the UK, but presumably it would be the same worldwide) well fed pet cats kill more wildlife than ferals, because they're in better hunting condition.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #761 on: 22 August, 2023, 07:39:10 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #762 on: 22 August, 2023, 08:31:52 pm »
I read some time ago that cats are most likely taking the weak ones that may not survive anyway.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #763 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:47:45 am »
I read this morning that hoopoes have bred in Leicestershire.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #764 on: 27 September, 2023, 12:51:31 am »
Encountered a pheasant on today's ride.  Regular readers will recall that my preferred bicycle is hors de combat, so I was on the Red Baron, which is notable for its ability to reach R17 without any significant effort if it's even vaguely downhill, which in this case it was, and its low tolerance for surface imperfections and (in as much as I've tested it) head-on impacts with mentally deficient wildlife.  As such, I delivered a torrent of harsh language.  True to form, the pheasant reacted in the stupidest way possible, which meant that instead of the usual running from side to side, it decided to sit in the middle of the road until belatedly deciding that a vertical takeoff was in order.

As I remarked to barakta earlier, pheasants don't have a lot of thrust...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #766 on: 08 October, 2023, 01:26:41 pm »
I have just read that a sparrowhawk has just been released after spending four days roosting in the rafters of Chelmsford Hobbycraft.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

« Reply #769 on: 13 October, 2023, 04:08:41 pm »
We have a “bug hotel”. It had some closed cells - until the bluetits found it and pecked them all open.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #770 on: 23 October, 2023, 11:59:11 am »
Friday and all weekend a bee has been buzzing around our living room.  A very noisy buzz it was, too, which eventually became quite irritating.
No amount of guidance towards open windows with wafting newspapers would encourage it out.
Well, this morning as I sat with the remnants of the week-end papers with my coffee, it dawned on me that the incessant droning had ceased.
Good, it's found it's way out at last.  Then,
Oh there it is. Trussed up and hanging from the top of the window frame. A spider's packed lunch.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #771 on: 05 November, 2023, 08:26:56 am »

Britain’s ‘loneliest sheep’ rescued after two years at foot of cliff

The sheep, called Fiona and wearing a huge fleece, had been stranded at the foot of cliffs on the Cromarty Firth for at least two years, with an animal welfare charity having deemed rescue attempts “incredibly complex”.

The rescue mission was organised by Cammy Wilson, a sheep shearer from Ayrshire and a presenter on the BBC’s Landward programme, after seeing media coverage of Fiona’s plight.

Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #772 on: 05 November, 2023, 03:44:25 pm »
Went to a bonfire and fireworks last night (with samosas and mulled cider) and discovered that foxes are really not bothered by humongous gert fires.

« Reply #773 on: 05 November, 2023, 06:56:42 pm »
Move Faster and Bake Things

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #774 on: 05 November, 2023, 07:05:11 pm »
Ewetube?