Author Topic: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill  (Read 60950 times)

Edd

Re: A random thread for the wildlife stuff - you know the drill
« Reply #475 on: January 17, 2020, 11:51:23 am »
Horse on a bus (and associated puns)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51146051

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #476 on: January 17, 2020, 11:56:19 am »
Was it a (Grand) National bus?
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

« Reply #477 on: January 24, 2020, 11:14:27 am »
I heard the first dawn chorus of the year today  :thumbsup:
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #478 on: January 24, 2020, 06:13:54 pm »
A flock of starlings flew over the garden at dusk this evening  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Eating's a serious business. Don't bollocks around wagging your tail.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #480 on: April 14, 2020, 09:29:16 am »
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #482 on: April 26, 2020, 05:58:43 pm »
Bloody hell! How did that get approved?

Back to what I came here for: urban foxes. I'm wondering how they're doing, with some of their major food sources closed down. I know that foxes round here scavenge behind fast food places & restaurants, & there've been no discarded scraps in those places for them for weeks. Has anyone noticed hungry foxes?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #483 on: April 26, 2020, 06:20:24 pm »
Was in our local shopping centre the other day and heard an odd sound like a squeeky pedal kind of skreetch.  Looked up and and spied a pigeon sized bird on a ledge about 8 stories up.  Then saw another nearby.  When they flew there was definitely crescent shaped wings.  Got home and listened to bird calls and I'm pretty sure they were peregines.

If this works top of that brick building.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.292162,-0.7555549,3a,75y,106.13h,97.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sZm9EfUoKOsF_U3_eccc_iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB&authuser=0

Is there a reporting procedure?

« Reply #484 on: April 26, 2020, 06:50:27 pm »
I’d suggest the BTO as a starting point.

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #485 on: April 26, 2020, 07:10:30 pm »
WHAT THE FF?
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/apr/17/falconers-to-be-allowed-to-take-wild-peregrine-chicks-from-nests?utm_term=RWRpdG9yaWFsX0d1YXJkaWFuVG9kYXlVS19XZWVrZW5kLTIwMDQxOQ%3D%3D&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK
>:(

Bloody hell! How did that get approved?

Back to what I came here for: urban foxes. I'm wondering how they're doing, with some of their major food sources closed down. I know that foxes round here scavenge behind fast food places & restaurants, & there've been no discarded scraps in those places for them for weeks. Has anyone noticed hungry foxes?
Haven't seen any local foxes since lockdown.
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

« Reply #487 on: May 03, 2020, 05:06:43 pm »
Opened up the nest box today, as we haven’t seen the bluetits recently. A fully formed nest, but no sign of eggs having been laid. Cleaned it out and repositioned slightly so the entrance is more easterly.  Perhaps another pair will use it for a late brood. Hopefully, as we’ve had nests in there for the last 5 or 6 years without fail.

« Reply #488 on: May 04, 2020, 04:29:44 pm »
I had a big fox in my garden a few weeks back. Meant I had to build a secure run for my chickens but suspect its down to the school field behind me being quieter. There's a sports centre in the other side that's normally fairly noisy in evenings. I think the chickens have been ignored now in favour of the rabbits of which there must be over a hundred on the field. The fox may as suggested up thread be having to supplement its usual scavenged diet.

« Reply #489 on: May 17, 2020, 03:13:34 pm »
I have a bumblebee nest in one of my raised beds at the allotment. Little tunnel into the ground, bees going in and out.

A pea seeding is growing next to it but I didn't water as I didn't want to drown the bees.

Am best not going too close as they fly guard outside if I do.

GC

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #490 on: May 17, 2020, 03:49:58 pm »
Ground dwelling bees have taken up residence in my shed which is rather inconvenient. They seem to resent my presence.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #491 on: May 23, 2020, 05:43:04 pm »
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i