Author Topic: 'Must See' London.  (Read 2288 times)

'Must See' London.
« on: 05 June, 2013, 02:46:55 pm »
With people coming from all over the world, it's worth considering what to see in London. One focus might be a trip on the 'London Eye'. I see that it's £500 for a private bubble with up to 25 occupants. It's unclear whether an allocated time is available for the same amount. Other possibilites are bus or river tours. These work well for groups. Those coming individually could get to break the ice on the Saturday.
Obviously the pure option is a sightseeing bike tour, but the logistics of losing participants is a bit of a nightmare.

LEE

Re: 'Must See' London.
« Reply #1 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »
I regard the London Eye as a must see for tourists.
It helps put London in perspective. All my forrin friends have loved it.

The open-topped buses are great.  Again you get to see London (rather than being underground) and can treat them as a hop-on, hop-off taxi to most touristy places.

It's just too big a place to walk around and see the sights I think, you end up so knackered.  I've made that mistake so many times.  I much prefer an upstairs seat on the bus and to let London pass by.

My main piece of advice is get there early.  It doesn't even matter what the attraction/transport is because, whatever it is, it will get packed beyond the possibility of any enjoyment after about 10am.

Bloody tourists.

« Reply #2 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:12:51 pm »
My favorite recommendation for first-time visitors to London is to take one of the tour boats from Westminster Pier on Embankment out to Greenwich. You get to see lots of famous landmarks on the way down the river, accompanied by some appropriately touristy commentary, then can stroll up the hill in Greenwich Park for the views over the city and a look at the meridian, followed by a pub lunch back down by the river and maybe a wander around the market. Makes a hassle free, reasonably inexpensive and interesting day out and helps get one oriented to the city's geography. Best done in good weather, of course.

« Reply #3 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:32:46 pm »
One motive I have in suggesting a trip is to get some footage of participants with some touristy backdrops and to record some inital impressions before they start. I did some of the touristy bits in Paris prior to PBP 1999, and it was hard work. A pre-arranged schedule would take the legwork out of getting a feel for London if you've come a long way.
The Blue-Sky option is a champagne reception in a private bubble on the London Eye at sunset. The achievable option is an open-topped bus tour organised around the check-in.

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 05 June, 2013, 03:44:19 pm »
A free option is Waterloo bridge after dark. I still get stunned by the skyline from there even after living on London for 14 years. But I'd second the Eye as a great tourist experience. A cheaper alternative that can be combined with a boat trip to Greenwich is the new(ish) Airline between the Dome and Royal docks. The views aren't as good as from the Eye, but it does cost less than a fiver and works with an Oyster card (which is also worth recommending to anyone travelling by public transport while they are here).

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #5 on: 05 June, 2013, 06:28:19 pm »
My favorite recommendation for first-time visitors to London is to take one of the tour boats from Westminster Pier on Embankment out to Greenwich. You get to see lots of famous landmarks on the way down the river, accompanied by some appropriately touristy commentary, then can stroll up the hill in Greenwich Park for the views over the city and a look at the meridian, followed by a pub lunch back down by the river and maybe a wander around the market. Makes a hassle free, reasonably inexpensive and interesting day out and helps get one oriented to the city's geography. Best done in good weather, of course.

Or take a boat ride out to Hampton Court and back. A few nice things to see along that route too.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #6 on: 05 June, 2013, 07:05:10 pm »
The open-topped buses are great.  Again you get to see London (rather than being underground) and can treat them as a hop-on, hop-off taxi to most touristy places.

It's just too big a place to walk around and see the sights I think, you end up so knackered.  I've made that mistake so many times.  I much prefer an upstairs seat on the bus and to let London pass by.
2nd-ed. And you might even get an amusing guide/driver.

When I did this (decades ago now) they were also massively cheaper than the Eye - should appeal to us Audax tight-wads!

Walking round can be lovely, but not if you want to bag more than a few nice spots. Probably best to schedule in a short walk - ideally round one of the parks, maybe taking in Buck Pal - as a small part of the day.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #7 on: 05 June, 2013, 07:12:52 pm »
You could combine the bus and boat ideas with a Duck tour. It carries up to 30, and bespoke tours are possible.

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/place/116867-london-duck-tours

mikewigley

« Reply #8 on: 06 June, 2013, 10:33:17 am »
I'm signed up for the FreeCycle ride, 8 miles of closed roads in the centre of London, on the Saturday following LEL, and part of the Olympics legacy.  I'm not on the LEL Prologue so this will be my LEL Epilogue.  There's a route here http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Assets/London+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Prudential+RideLondon/London+Marathon+Digital+Assets/Downloadable/Prudential-RideLondon-FreeCyle-Route-2013.pdf

I'm rather assuming I'll be able to cycle 8 miles after LEL.  The daunting bit is that, instead of the usual city centre traffic, which I'm happy to mix with, there will be thousands of none and occasional cyclists out there with me.

« Reply #9 on: 06 June, 2013, 12:03:58 pm »
One motive I have in suggesting a trip is to get some footage of participants with some touristy backdrops and to record some inital impressions before they start. I did some of the touristy bits in Paris prior to PBP 1999, and it was hard work. A pre-arranged schedule would take the legwork out of getting a feel for London if you've come a long way.
The Blue-Sky option is a champagne reception in a private bubble on the London Eye at sunset. The achievable option is an open-topped bus tour organised around the check-in.

Could we charter a go or two on the London eye and organise a ride there for Saturday before LEL?

« Reply #10 on: 06 June, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »
Could we charter a go or two on the London eye and organise a ride there for Saturday before LEL?
I've seen too many stripped bikes in London: I wouldn't want anyone who'd just crossed the world and was about to do the ride of their lives to leave a bicycle unattended in central London.

« Reply #11 on: 06 June, 2013, 06:55:15 pm »
I've seen too many stripped bikes in London: I wouldn't want anyone who'd just crossed the world and was about to do the ride of their lives to leave a bicycle unattended in central London.

Easily taken care of. Plenty of eateries and a big enough piece of grass for a mass picnic near the London Eye, so while one group have a go on the big wheel, the others can keep an eye on all the bikes while they eat, then swap places.

« Reply #12 on: 07 June, 2013, 07:28:44 am »
Five years ago, thanks to British Air not having enough crew to fly an airplane back to Seattle, we were gifted a layover day.  Took the tube in from Heathrow, walked from Picadilly Circus to Trafalgar Square  to the House of Parliament to Buckingham Palace and then back to the airport.  In just a few hours walking we saw a lot, including many monuments to The Empire (the lions at Lord Nelson's feet are slightly oversize), as well as the stunningly understated memorial to the Women of WW2.  Certainly didn't see everything, but appreciated all that we did see.

So, along with any tour, just get out on foot and look around.

« Reply #13 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:02:22 am »
From my point of view I want a number of riders to film and interview prior to the ride. That's possible at the start and the prologue, but if anyone is doing a tour of London it might be a good idea to get together and do the sights together. I'd evisage meeting in central London without bikes and having a set agenda to minimise stress.
After the ride the bike event that Mem Sec has linked to provides just the sort of background I'd like. A lap of Honour on that route with successful riders in LEL tops on traffic free streets, intercut with interviews would work well.

« Reply #14 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:14:20 am »
From my point of view I want a number of riders to film and interview prior to the ride. That's possible at the start and the prologue, but if anyone is doing a tour of London it might be a good idea to get together and do the sights together. I'd evisage meeting in central London without bikes and having a set agenda to minimise stress.

I still like my idea of using the London Eye as a centre point, which might be a good place for some filming. It has eateries where LELers can hang out at. It's handy for the Clipper boat which is a handy way of travelling in London along the Thames and you get a different view of London that way. Plus others can travel there via bike or tube.
Also, how about a ride of the London Sightseer 100km on the Saturday? (which could also visit the London Eye, I guess)

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #15 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:22:26 am »
^ trouble is the saturday is needed for registration at Loughton

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #16 on: 07 June, 2013, 11:51:44 am »
^ trouble is the saturday is needed for registration at Loughton

That's why I'm thinking ahead about a minimum stress sightseeing option for those coming on their own but wanting some company.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 07 June, 2013, 12:41:33 pm »
Rolling round the full Sightseer takes a surprisingly long time. The reduced average speed is very necessary.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18 on: 07 June, 2013, 04:13:33 pm »

You could always just pick the 'normal' buses and take on an unofficial tour.

If you're happy with potentially waiting a little bit then some of the old hop-on / hop-off Routemasters still run on the 15 route (runs down Fleet Street). That'll take you from Trafalgar Square, past the Royal Courts, through to St. Pauls and on to the Tower of London.
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)