Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45480 times)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #100 on: 02 July, 2015, 11:52:13 am »
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #101 on: 02 July, 2015, 12:12:45 pm »
Well that's it then.  Rain here in Bournemouth so no photos of our lovely beach in the paper tomorrow.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #102 on: 02 July, 2015, 12:17:18 pm »
This morning driving towards Rotterdam I saw a Smart car plastered with advertising - Ski Maintenance!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #103 on: 02 July, 2015, 04:24:42 pm »
36 deg C at Heathrow yesterday and I was just a few miles down the road at Henley. I reckon more people were wasted by dehydration and heat than by alcohol. That must be a first.

« Reply #104 on: 02 July, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »
It's raining hard here - evening ride got cancelled. :-\

« Reply #105 on: 02 July, 2015, 06:59:01 pm »
Today has been cooler at 30 but tomorrow its going up again to 37.  I wouldn't mind an overnight shower as the grass is brown and crackles underfoot.  On the plus side the weeds seem to be dying. 

The cat ain't too impressed either
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #106 on: 03 July, 2015, 08:04:16 am »
36 deg C at Heathrow yesterday and I was just a few miles down the road at Henley. I reckon more people were wasted by dehydration and heat than by alcohol. That must be a first.

Wednesday was pretty awful.  Apparently they'd ran out of beds in the medical centre by 2pm cos of all the people collapsing...  St Johns ambulancers all very busy and all the bars in the enclosure told to stop charging for water.  Order was restored yesterday and water was back at $$$HOWMUCH??

Vince

« Reply #107 on: 03 July, 2015, 11:29:34 am »
Its so hot, the butter has run out of my lunch time baguette!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #108 on: 03 July, 2015, 12:05:31 pm »
This morning was lovely but the haar had come in by the time I left the dentist, so I guess I'll be finding a jacket for my next trip out. :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #109 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:24:51 pm »

Should have stuck to the Pimms, all that lemonade helps  ;D
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #110 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:26:48 pm »
I understand that 15% of electricity produced in this country this afternoon will be from solar.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #111 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »
This morning was lovely but the haar had come in by the time I left the dentist, so I guess I'll be finding a jacket for my next trip out. :(

Oh I remember that. A chilly grey weekend in Portlethen, then at work on Monday those from inland were burnt to a crisp!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #112 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:29:08 pm »

I understand that 15% of electricity produced in this country this afternoon will be from solar.
It'll be handy for the air conditioning.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #113 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:37:42 pm »
Note to self.

When temp is in mid 20s, DO NOT try wrestling with a bottom bracket.

Hot, sweaty and smelling of copperslip...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #114 on: 03 July, 2015, 01:49:59 pm »

It's going to struggle. The theoretical capacity of UK solar systems is a bit ofer 20% of our current demand, but looking at the numbers, all but 1% of the grid generation seems to be accounted for by non-solar methods: -
http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #115 on: 03 July, 2015, 02:17:44 pm »

It's going to struggle. The theoretical capacity of UK solar systems is a bit ofer 20% of our current demand, but looking at the numbers, all but 1% of the grid generation seems to be accounted for by non-solar methods: -

Does that actually track small-scale feed-in generation (which must account for most of the UK's solar capacity), though?  I'd have thought it would simply appear as a reduction in demand...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #116 on: 03 July, 2015, 02:29:03 pm »

Does that actually track small-scale feed-in generation (which must account for most of the UK's solar capacity), though?  I'd have thought it would simply appear as a reduction in demand...

It doesn't appear to, which is why I added up all the others. However you'd expect a bigger drop in demand on sunnier days (or at least in the sunnier months) if that was the case, which I can't see in the (admittedly limited) demand graphs below.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #117 on: 03 July, 2015, 02:37:32 pm »
Maybe asterix has it? :)

Chris S

« Reply #118 on: 04 July, 2015, 05:47:34 pm »
Can't believe I'm typing this, but today's 30c was actually quite pleasant - certainly  a blessed relief from yesterday's 38!

Still hot, but starting to feel like it's more tolerable. Our DNF was certainly the right decision - yesterday was like a furnace, and I suspect we'd have come apart at the seams trying to audax in that.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #119 on: 04 July, 2015, 06:41:19 pm »
38 degrees is tough, no doubt about it.

During our 1000 brevet in Israel a couple of years back, climbing up from the Dead Sea at midday, it was 47 degrees and I couldn't even walk up the hill in that. After napping in the shade for a couple of hours at a lookout, it dropped to 37 and we could actually ride uphill, albeit slowly. It was fun watching our average speed vary inversely with temperature through the event. We made the finish with fewer than 10 minutes to spare, so much tighter than we prefer.

35 degrees today in Paris with a 1000km UAF to Nice starting tomorrow. Plenty of sunscreen and water is on the cards.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #120 on: 04 July, 2015, 09:06:37 pm »
Metaphorically, I hope! ;) ;D
Sounds a tad messy for the organiser otherwise...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #121 on: 04 July, 2015, 09:24:57 pm »
During a UAF brevet, the organiser often carries the brevet cards.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 04 July, 2015, 10:20:24 pm »
Have a good ride, anyway!

« Reply #123 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:10:39 am »
We got our thunderstorm at last  :thumbsup:

It's only 19c now.  Freezingggg..

Vince

« Reply #124 on: 05 July, 2015, 06:13:18 pm »
Checking my Garmin from yesterdays ride, I had a maximum temp of 39 degrees. The tunnels were 15 degrees less.
216km from Marsh Gibbon