Author Topic: Scorchio...  (Read 45732 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Scorchio...
« Reply #500 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:39:26 am »
Aircon aside, one of the coolest places on a hot day is under a large tree.  It's not just the shade, it's the constant transpiration from the leaves.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #501 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:40:06 am »
House is 21C this morning. Lovely.

« Reply #502 on: 20 July, 2022, 09:44:36 am »
Google, Oracle cloud servers wilt in UK heatwave, take down websites • Clouds burst as nation hits 40C.  Safe, or at least not the D**ly M**l.

That is my fault. Only yesterday I said to MrsC "Big data centres won't have a problem, they'll have adequate cooling."

Ha Ha Ha

The microsith experiment with submerged data centres is starting to look like a Really Good Idea.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #503 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:23:48 am »
The microsith experiment with submerged data centres is starting to look like a Really Good Idea.

Give it another few years and there will be a lot more submerged data centres - mainly those in places like Lincolnshire.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #504 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:27:10 am »
Aircon aside, one of the coolest places on a hot day is under a large tree.  It's not just the shade, it's the constant transpiration from the leaves.

Indeed, transpiration is basically plants sweating, so causes considerable cooling beyond just shading. People are idiots though and they're going to burn and I'll be likely dead when it happens, so I'll ha-ha up from Hell, where at least it will have the benefits of being relatively cool. Hope the extra parking was worth it, I'm sure your kids will enjoy fighting to the death over the last potato.

In other, less climatic and more climactic, news I caught The Mouse (again) and deposited it over the fence. Would have taken it further but I was scared it might do mini-kung fu on me and it wriggled free.

« Reply #505 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:28:21 am »

Give it another few years and there will be a lot more submerged data centres - mainly those in places like Lincolnshire.

I had a customer for years on the Suffolk / Norfolk border. He was the data centre manager and for years he was worried about it flooding what with it being about 0.1mm above seal level.

It burnt down ...
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #506 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:29:36 am »

There's over 50 DC's in the Amsterdam area. Some of them make a thing about their datafloor being above sea level. There's one in science park that is basically built on stilts, creating a covered parking/loading/unloading area, so they can claim the important bits of the DC are above sea level.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ian

« Reply #507 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:30:47 am »
I've a feeling that our children won't be googling the location of the last potato on earth.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #508 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:35:42 am »
I just spent about 45 minutes in the sea with some friends, then we had a drink in one of the few establishments that serves on the beach, followed by an ice cream from a parlour across the road. Very continental!

Now, there are some quite dark clouds building up to the south and west. i'm crossing my fingers, but the Met Office gives it only a 10% chance of doing anything.

The beach was still absolutely heaving when I went down for my second swim of the day at around 8.30 yesterday evening. Was hoping to enjoy the sunset but it had clouded over by then. Still stiflingly hot though.

Then I got rained on while cycling home - a few heavy spots for about a minute, then it stopped.

We had thunder and lightning overnight, but no real rain.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #509 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:46:53 am »
21C outside in Liverpool, 24C at my desk. Overcast & breezy.  No rain overnight.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

rogerzilla

« Reply #510 on: 20 July, 2022, 10:57:28 am »
Building data centres under the sea or in the Arctic only helps to some extent - you only remove the requirement for forced cooling/chilling (under 40% of the total).  There's still the power consumed by the servers and other infrastructure (distribution equipment, etc).

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #511 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:25:30 am »
I've a feeling that our children won't be googling the location of the last potato on earth.

No need.

He is here.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #512 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:41:03 am »

No need.

He is here.

My son is a chef. He said it is 44C in the kitchen (actually that was on Saturday).

Malthouse is kind of right - it is difficult to define a temperature range that works for all workplaces. Law does need fiming up and clarifying though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #513 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:53:32 am »
I think we still view climate change within the indulgent bounds of our comfort – we might need a/c or to rethink our beachfront property aspirations. It'll be terrible, of course, if our ice creams melt too quickly, and no one can dispute the inhumanity of such a sticky fingered fate. Humans are quite adaptable and can live hot places and figure out mitigations.

The stuff we eat, however, is less adaptable and you can't eat an a/c machine (or, generally, that's an ill-advised menu choice).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #514 on: 20 July, 2022, 11:54:36 am »

My son is a chef. He said it is 44C in the kitchen (actually that was on Saturday).

Malthouse is kind of right - it is difficult to define a temperature range that works for all workplaces. Law does need fiming up and clarifying though.

When I worked in the brewery we would regularly climb into the boiler while it was still very warm to start cleaning it. It cooled down very quickly once we started spraying cold water about, but it was very humid.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #515 on: 20 July, 2022, 12:26:49 pm »

I had a customer for years on the Suffolk / Norfolk border. He was the data centre manager and for years he was worried about it flooding what with it being about 0.1mm above seal level.

It burnt down ...

You’ve got to watch out for seals 🦭 leaving the taps on.

ian

« Reply #516 on: 20 July, 2022, 01:12:47 pm »
I once spent a hot summer being dressed up in PPE and breathing apparatus to be lowered on a rope into a large silo filled with the bastard cousin of Angel Delight with just a shovel. This might sound like certain people's favourite sex dream, but I was 'the unblocker' who had to dig out any blockages at the bottom of the silo (which meant five minutes of sweaty shovelling and then being hauled back up so I could go and hit the duct at the bottom with a big mallet, before returning to the tank to shovel some more). Yes, I know, this could have been a far more efficient two-man job, but that's not the way the real world works. This used to happen about every 30 minutes and took 15 minutes to unblock, the rest of the time was spent sitting around waiting for it to happen.

Anyway, I sweated a lot, and quite probably it was my perspiration that inspired many of the blockages in the first place as the Devil's Delight* clumped up.

*to this day, I have no idea what it was, but it looked, tasted, and smelled like Angel Delight.

« Reply #517 on: 20 July, 2022, 01:13:51 pm »
Slept appallingly badly last night, woke for the umpteenth time before 4am, thought sod it and went for a ride. It was positively inspiring to see the sun rise and feel a cool breeze as i pootled along. Also saw loads of this years fallow/red fawns in Bradgate park, normally they have long since disappeared into hiding before I get there.

A

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #518 on: 20 July, 2022, 03:17:26 pm »
Also yet to put in an appearance is the our-favourite-telco engineer.  The job was being "prepared for allocation" last night, but progressed to "ready for allocation" at audax o'clock this morning, followed shortly by an "the engineer has been allocated".  I'm not sure if the Openreach API has the ability to return "engineer is off sick with COVID-19" or "engineer diverted to deal with embarrassing fire", so anything's possible.

Or even “engineer has executed HCF instruction”?

The engineer - we'll call him Kelly - eventually showed up, and while he reeked of smoke, didn't actually appear to be on fire.

Something at the exchange end might have been, though, as he spent nearly as long on hold to some internal service line to find out why it wasn't working as he did drilling holes in things and tying optical string to the front of our house.

Anyway, things are starting to cool off and this post brought to you without the aid of any kind of DSL.

« Reply #519 on: 20 July, 2022, 05:05:26 pm »
I did a route check for the Carlisle-Newcastle FNRttC yesterday.
Chilly (well sub 20 deg. C) on the way to MCR airport station at 06.00.
Temperatures in Carlisle seemed OK for the ride to Twice Brewed where I'd arranged to meet friends. The hills were a different matter.......
I was light headed when I locked the bike up and I downed 3 pints of lime and soda without them, apparently, touching the sides. I also filled up my 620ml bidons (I'd emptied both in the 43(ish) km from Carlisle Station).
At Hexham (64km in and largely downhill from Twice Brewed) the temperature was getting extreme and I'd emptied both bidons again. I bought bottled water, orange juice and "borrowed" some salt to fill them both (water only in one) for the rest of the ride. I also bought  a milky coffee in a can which I downed before we set off again.
Some of the rest of the ride was extreme, particularly the heat reflected off the tarmac, and my Garmin was indicating 40 deg.C at times. I was also getting cramp on the (more than I remembered) hills.
Both bidons were empty when we got to the 'Spoons on the Quayside where I had another pint of lime and soda and a refilled bidon of water.
Getting to my hotel involved more cramp (it was up near the station) but the aircon in the room was an absolute joy.
Lots more water was drunk, I had 2 pints (beer) with dinner then slept ever so well in the cool, cool room.
I pee-ed twice between Carlisle and my hotel in Newcastle; it was fairly clear. Bibs were covered in salt and my shirt was twice its' normal weight and was damp to the touch before I washed it.
This morning, legs were still a little crampy (if that's a word), it seemed cool outside and even cooler when I got back to MCR.
I'm still drinking loads and I'm still not pee-ing much.
I estimate 2x620ml before Twice Brewed, 3x584ml at Twice Brewed, 2x620ml before Hexham, 2x620ml at Hexham + the coffee, 1x584ml +1x620ml at the 'Spoons then 2x584ml beer later on.
Brutal.
Nice and cool back in MCR.
I think I've pee-ed 3 times today...........

Sorry if that's TMI.
I'm hoping to sleep well tonight.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #520 on: 20 July, 2022, 05:15:59 pm »
It has come to my notice that there is a branch of the Met Office's website where amateur weather geeks can post their data.

It's called the Weather Observations Website (WOW).

I must sign up!

(Bugger. The username "Wowbagger" has already been taken).
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #521 on: 20 July, 2022, 05:18:28 pm »
Forecast to hit 28C here. Thought we were done with this nonsense for this year.

While we might be done with the 30C+ temps for now, it's likely we'll get another bout of it before the end of September.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #522 on: 20 July, 2022, 05:25:33 pm »
The inside temperature has not fallen below 28°C all day today.

The outside temperature has been >26°C since about 11am. The maximum was 28.3°C. It's now 26.8°C. I shall be heading for the beach again around 6pm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #523 on: 20 July, 2022, 05:37:18 pm »
Outside is currently 28.1°C
Inside is 27.3°C
I've been back in the Aircon at work today.
The biggest difference I've found in the humidity.
Monday and Tuesday it was ~20%
At 05:30 this morning it was 65%
It is currently 40%.

rogerzilla

« Reply #524 on: 20 July, 2022, 08:28:44 pm »
It rained here heavily for 90 minutes and is now 19 degrees outside  :thumbsup: