Author Topic: Welsh Coast-to-Coast (was "I may have some time on my hands...")  (Read 22061 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Welsh Coast-to-Coast (was "I may have some time on my hands...")
« Reply #25 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:52:06 pm »
These links won't load on my computer. They time out. [error response].

I have just been informed that our server is down for some reason. Dez is on the case.

Working for me now.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #26 on: 03 August, 2013, 04:58:28 pm »
There should be a welsh national cycle route thereabouts. Poss NCR 8?

I have just realised that much of the route I have plotted is the Lôn Las Cymru! I knew of the existence of this route but didn't know where it was until now.

What a happy chance!

« Reply #27 on: 03 August, 2013, 08:46:38 pm »
My best bet would probably be to try and join you at Machynlleth or Maentwrog, then pootle back to Porthmadog-ish and a station via a visit to Aunty Megan :)

« Reply #28 on: 03 August, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
Do the campsites need booking in advance, btw?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #29 on: 03 August, 2013, 08:54:22 pm »
Re campsites, normally, no, but I shall be phoning them all to check that they are still open!

I have booked a night at my brother's place in Shrewsbury for the Sunday night, so I am pretty sure that I will be just pottering around Lleyn on the Saturday - unless the weather is crap.

Curiously enough, he has to go out fairly early on the Monday morning as he's taking his bike to the Lleyn peninsula for a few days.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #30 on: 03 August, 2013, 09:09:51 pm »
I've just looked at the trains from Mordor Central to Mach/Penrhyndeudraeth - it takes two extra hours to get to the latter from Mach! That's a train going at Wowbagger speed!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #31 on: 03 August, 2013, 09:34:28 pm »
Here are the campsite I have in mind:

Llanthony:

http://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/uk/wales/monmouth/monmouthshire/135-llanthony-priory

Rhayader: choice of

http://www.wyesidecamping.co.uk/home.html

http://www.gigrin.co.uk/and/caravan_and_camping.html

Machynlleth:

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=5965

Maentwrog

http://llechrwd.co.uk/

Porth Colmon

There are two marked on the OS map but ukcampsite.co.uk doesn't seem to list them. This one, a couple of miles away, sounds pretty good.

http://www.penrallt.co.uk/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: I may have some time on my hands from 12th Aug.
« Reply #32 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:45:06 pm »
OK - I have bought some tickets. Just me, Mrs. Wow has other plans.

Southend to Chepstow, 12/8/13, arrives 13.50
Hmm, I'm usually pretty well endowed with free time on Mondays (unlike weekends  :() so I might just pootle across the bridge and wave you off. Or even ride a mile or two (but no more, I'll have to get back soonish) with you. I don't think I've ever noticed any evidence of a railway station in Chepstow but obviously there is one.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #33 on: 03 August, 2013, 10:59:31 pm »
There was last time we got on/off a train there, and a little company towards the Devauden road would be very welcome!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2013, 12:47:57 am »
Humbug.  This is all looking distinctly like the sort of thing I'm going to be annoyed to miss.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2013, 05:03:34 am »
No chance of changing your other plans, Kim?  :demon:

I was nattering briefly to my brother last night. He know Wales better than anyone I know but was rather uncommunicative about the route. I also sneaked a look at Crazyguyonabike and there are some very toothsome photos of the sort of thing I can expect.

I am getting stupidly excited about this now.

« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2013, 06:41:03 am »
Ooh that should be a cracking week.  I'll see what I cando about getting
 The Monday off work to ride the first bit with you.

If you like I can knock together some GPx route suggestions. 

Llanthony is lovely - I have toyed with idea of organising a forum camping weekend there in fact - the ride up from Chepstow is fantastic.  The downside is that that  campsite is likely to be packed in the school hols with disadvantaged youth groups from Brixton and Haringey.  If you call at the farmhouse on the left as the lane goes off into the abbey they used to let you camp on their little field by the river. 

You will of course need some pub recommendations :) 

A day one lunch suggestion would be the Clytha Arms: 

http://www.clytha-arms.com/

And when you hit the Llyn peninsula this is a very nice pub with good food:

http://www.tafarnyfic.com/index.htm

It's very friendly but you won't hear much, if any, English spoken so practising some absolute basic welsh would pay dividends.

Llany over to Mach is a grovel whichever way you go, but the B road via Staylitte is quiet and lovely with stunning views on the top.  The A470 takes a massive detour for good reason! :)

« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2013, 09:14:36 am »

Current thinking is to get a silly o'clock train to Machynlleth for 9ish and then cycle up to the campsite near CAT for breakfast. Does that fit in with your general morning timings, Wow, or would you be wanting to hit the (comedy off) road earlier?

Humbug.  This is all looking distinctly like the sort of thing I'm going to be annoyed to miss.

Aw. Might be able to sort you out with a near-live datastream, if that helps?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #38 on: 04 August, 2013, 10:48:11 am »
There was last time we got on/off a train there, and a little company towards the Devauden road would be very welcome!
It would be worrying if there hadn't been.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #39 on: 04 August, 2013, 02:15:18 pm »
That sounds like a splendid plan, Nikki.. What is your preferred breakfast? Maybe the CAT will be open and we can get something there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #40 on: 04 August, 2013, 03:09:43 pm »
No chance of changing your other plans, Kim?  :demon:

The CrinklyClan are visiting.  Sans bikes.  Ironically, on the way to Wales...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #41 on: 04 August, 2013, 03:10:46 pm »
That sounds like a splendid plan, Nikki.. What is your preferred breakfast? Maybe the CAT will be open and we can get something there.

Health warning:  The CAT don't serve anything that I would describe as 'food'.  Bloody hippies...

« Reply #42 on: 04 August, 2013, 04:14:34 pm »

Health warning:  The CAT don't serve anything that I would describe as 'food'.  Bloody hippies...

Website says hot food not served until noon, so I'm guessing it's muesli before then?

I still don't own a stove, but I could bring supplies from Brum if that helps?

Will attempt to do something daring like book my train tickets, too...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #43 on: 04 August, 2013, 04:23:47 pm »

Website says hot food not served until noon, so I'm guessing it's muesli before then?

It's hot muesli after then.   :D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #44 on: 04 August, 2013, 06:23:35 pm »

I still don't own a stove, but I could bring supplies from Brum if that helps?

Will attempt to do something daring like book my train tickets, too...

Rationalising stuff is good. I have a stove, pans and a bottle of paraffin so they will do for both of us. The paraffin will last us pretty well the whole trip (Jan and I had enough for the whole week in Guernsey). If it looks as though we are running low on paraffin then there are good hardware shop in Dolgellau. Some supplies are to be welcomed. What is your normal diet, Nikki? I eat pretty well anything but coleslaw, which is an abomination unto every deity that man has invented, and some he hasn't. I will take some porridge oats with me, teabags, squeezy honey, and I tend to buy milk as I go (Kim may well have told you about this). Lunch in pubs/cafés works for me, and evening meals as we see fit. I'm happy to cook stuff: rice with something, fresh pasta with stuff in it (spinach is OK), dried pasta with some sort of sauce. I'm just aware that we need to carry dried stuff around and it's good to consume it as we go. Rice is much more camping-friendly than pasta as it is much denser, but you tend to eat the same weight of either. It's useful to have some instant calories in the form of fig rolls, dates or geobar-alikes. If you like bacon for brekkie, that's fine, so do I, but the washing up is a pain. Oh, I will take washing up kit as well.

I'm still deciding on which tent to take. I'll probably go for the Hilleberg, for the space. The extra kg can be lost somewhere else.

I'm going to have to get my stuff together at the end of this week as we have a busy three days Fri, Sat and Sun doing family things on Fri and Sat and riding with Auntie Helen on Sun. I'll probably need to do a bit of laundry as we go as I don't think I've got enough cycling shorts for the whole trip and besides, they are about the bulkiest of the garments I'm likely to take, with the exception of warm tops, which I'm hoping will not really be needed and therefore can be reduced to Just The One.

It is possible that, if the weather looks decidedly unbeachy, I might decide to head up to Holyhead, just to say I'd done the Welsh End-to-End, to add to my collection of such things, but if there's a chance of Fri pm & Sat on a beach, then that's my preference. Did you say that you planned to visit an aunt somewhere, Nikki? There are only three trains out of Pwllheli on Sunday 18th so I think I'm going to buy a ticket and reserve a place for the 1348 but try to catch the 1128, for which I would want to be away from the campsite at around 9 - it's 15 miles. The ticket is valid on both trains, it's just that I can reserve a bike space on the later in case I can't get on/miss the earlier. I will delay buying this until we reach Pwllheli on the way through. Then I will have a good idea what the weather is going to be like. If I end up in Holyhead there is a far greater choice of trains.

I'll PM you my mobile no. and email address.

« Reply #45 on: 04 August, 2013, 09:56:23 pm »
Outward ticket bought!  :thumbsup:

My normal diet is along the bacon - hot muesli1 spectrum. Though the former could well be what's needed after a 5am start and a journey from Mordor!
Not doing alcohol or tea are probably the main things that will throw you :)

I'll need to keep a bit of an eye on budget re cafes and pubs etc, but can chip in for paraffin etc for any campsite meals.

I don't remember there being much around Maentwrog (other than the lovely-looking campsites, glimpsed from the car!), so perhaps I should bring bacon and also rice-y stuff for 2 for supper?

There's a big Tesco on the Tremadog side of Porthmadog, not too far from your planned route, that could be a good place to stock up for the last couple of days. LL49 9NU. It's open 'til midnight according to their website. IIRC a big camping store around the corner on the A497 too, if needed.

My Westwards local knowledge fizzles out pretty soon after that.

[1] My usual breakfast nowadays! I seem to have settled here en route to trying to like porridge!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #46 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:04:18 pm »
Excellent about the ticket!

Bacon is fine. If you prefer your muesli cold, no problem. We could always go down the bacon butty/muesli route.

Do you drink coffee? If so, I'm perfectly happy to do so too. I will probably shove a few teabags in because they weigh next to nothing and take little space. I tend to be a creature of tea-for-breakfast-coffee-at-11ses habit but there's no reason for me to do that.

Alcohol is easy. I don't mind not drinking it. I might get the odd bottle of ale to keep me company in the evening. We can steer clear of pub meals all together if you like: bread/salad/ham/cheese for lunch from a local shop and a drink of your preference. Don't worry about the cost of the paraffin. If we use £1.50's worth I'll be surprised. Since we might be doing a little more cooking than Jan and I did, then it's worth sticking a bit more in if I have the space. My stove can burn petrol, diesel, paraffin, white spirit, meths and barbecue fluid. I have only tried paraffin though and I'm not that keen to play with petrol without a responsible adult present.

I reckon that we will have to buy our dinner in Dolgellau on the way through for our Maentwrog night. I don't think there is a single shop in the place. There is a pub. Oh, apparently there are shops in Trawfynnydd village - http://www.walesdirectory.co.uk/Towns_in_Wales/Trawsfynydd_Town.htm refers.

Blink and you might just miss Trawsfynydd village centre. The village is to be found via a short detour from the main highway, ensuring Trawsfynydd is a peaceful backwater. With two grocery stores, a butcher, baker, post office and a newsagent the shopping is adequate for restocking the larder on a self catering holiday but its not exactly Oxford Street. Then you don't visit North Wales for the shopping. And hey! …there are two friendly public houses from which to choose.

Having just strolled through the village on Streetview, I don't think I'd like to bet my evening meal on it being open!

« Reply #47 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:14:12 pm »
Bacon is fine. If you prefer your muesli cold, no problem. We could always go down the bacon butty/muesli route.

I'll do the washing up duty :)

Do you drink coffee?

Nope, not that neither!

Alcohol is easy. I don't mind not drinking it.

Oh, don't feel you shouldn't on my account, just a) don't put any extra in the hip flask for me and b) you're navigating :)

I have only tried paraffin though and I'm not that keen to play with petrol without a responsible adult present.

I reckon that we will have to buy our dinner in Dolgellau on the way through for our Maentwrog night. I don't think there is a single shop in the place. There is a pub. Oh, apparently there are shops in Trawfynnydd village -
[...]
Having just strolled through the village on Streetview, I don't think I'd like to bet my evening meal on it being open!

*nods*
I've only ever been to the nuclear power station there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #48 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:23:19 pm »
Do you have any hot drinks? We might not need so much paraffin after all!

« Reply #49 on: 04 August, 2013, 11:32:21 pm »
Not really. Nothing that needs catering for, anyway. Just do what you'd normally do.

I may force a hot chocolate down in a windswept cafe somewhere  ;)