Author Topic: CTC rebranding  (Read 55794 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: CTC rebranding
« Reply #500 on: 16 August, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »
After 20 yrs of membership I decided it was no longer for me so cancelled my DD.   I thought this would trigger some for of communication, but I've had nothing.

Maybe they assumed there would be some attrition so decided not to bother chasing people.

ditto - cancelled my DD and membership lapsed in July, not heard anything from them yet.
If they had pursued you, would you now be flooding this thread with positivity?

No, thought not.

There are a number of broken records being played here.

Me? I dont see any credible national competition to the CTC. They are still doing 95% of the stuff they were doing for me 20 years ago. (and their lawyers are currently extracting compo for my smashed teeth. stitches in forehead. et al ... )

If you havent got anything constructive to say, I'm not particularly interested in your continued whining.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #501 on: 16 August, 2016, 08:26:47 pm »
Bit aggressive, no ?

TBH I had moved on from the CTC, hadn't been on a club run for years and had disassociated myself from the DA Committee that I spent 10 years running audaxes for.

The rebrand just pushed me to do something I should have done years ago.

« Reply #502 on: 16 August, 2016, 10:33:31 pm »
I've also cancelled my DD after being a member since the early nineties. Why, well at the end of the day I wanted to be part of a club that helped cyclists not a charity that promotes cycling. It may not sound much but the difference is enormous.

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #503 on: 16 August, 2016, 10:44:50 pm »
I've also cancelled my DD after being a member since the early nineties. Why, well at the end of the day I wanted to be part of a club that helped cyclists not a charity that promotes cycling. It may not sound much but the difference is enormous.
Please explain your views more fully
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #504 on: 16 August, 2016, 11:45:55 pm »
After 20 yrs of membership I decided it was no longer for me so cancelled my DD.   I thought this would trigger some for of communication, but I've had nothing.

Maybe they assumed there would be some attrition so decided not to bother chasing people.

ditto - cancelled my DD and membership lapsed in July, not heard anything from them yet.
If they had pursued you, would you now be flooding this thread with positivity?

No, thought not.

There are a number of broken records being played here.

Me? I dont see any credible national competition to the CTC. They are still doing 95% of the stuff they were doing for me 20 years ago. (and their lawyers are currently extracting compo for my smashed teeth. stitches in forehead. et al ... )

If you havent got anything constructive to say, I'm not particularly interested in your continued whining.

Usual to get a reminder, no?

Actually I did get something from them - an invite to free cycle leadership courses in Englandshire.  What a bag of bollox for someone who lives in the Outer Hebrides.

Oh, and what are my examples of continued whining on the subject?

Just get over the fact that Cycling UK are not everyone's cup of tea - and BC membership is now nearly double that of CUK ;)

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #505 on: 17 August, 2016, 06:45:31 am »
ditto

Oh, and what are my examples of continued whining on the subject?

Just get over the fact that Cycling UK are not everyone's cup of tea - and BC membership is now nearly double that of CUK ;)
You have plenty of company - incessant droning here from your fellow BC fan-boys. Same posts, different user-ids. If there are more of you, you must be right I guess!

Nothing to do with the millions ploughed into promoting them by Rupert Murdoch of course. I'm sure you've carried out a careful analysis of which body does more for cycling (in the Outer Hebrides and elsewhere), and are not so easily swayed.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
« Reply #506 on: 17 August, 2016, 08:17:03 am »
CTC/CUK the future in like of British Cycling membership success?

QUESTIONS

What has CTC/CUK to offer?

Should CTC/CUK redefine it relationship with its users and potential user of its goods and services.

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

« Reply #507 on: 17 August, 2016, 08:30:13 am »
I'm sure you've carried out a careful analysis of which body does more for cycling

Not really, since I know the answer, I'm just still sulking, although BC's antics lately have probably tipped the balance back, which means it's probably about time for CTC / CUK to do something else ridiculously stupid.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #508 on: 17 August, 2016, 08:36:47 am »
I'm sure you've carried out a careful analysis of which body does more for cycling

Not really, since I know the answer, I'm just still sulking, although BC's antics lately have probably tipped the balance back, which means it's probably about time for CTC / CUK to do something else ridiculously stupid.
;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #509 on: 17 August, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »
I only renewed with CTC because I needed the insurance for the FNRttC and for the Friday's Tour.
Other than that, I wouldn't have bothered or I would have gone elsewhere.
I have affiliate membership so they don't get as much money off me and I didn't tick the "charity" box so they can't claim the tax back.

« Reply #510 on: 05 December, 2016, 09:38:54 pm »
As I've posted before I wasn't very happy about the direction Cycling UK had gone after the rebrand and decided I wasn't going to renew my membership when it came up for renewal in January. With that date rapidly approaching I cancelled the Direct Debit on the Banks website and thought as a matter of courtisy I'd send an email to CUK advising them of that and please don't attempt to take a DD.

I got a polite email back acknowledging the cancellation, but not a single question as to why. If CUK bothered to look at their records they'd have noted my wife & I had been members since 1994, but no, not one question or a link to a simple survey to as my thoughts.

So was I just another number, am I one of so many they fell they can lose a few an it doesn't matter. Or more likely do they care?
Apparently not.

hillbilly

« Reply #511 on: 03 February, 2017, 07:25:43 am »
I've also not renewed my membership after a mere 12 years of being with them.  It felt increasingly like an organisation overly focussed on urban commuting issues, rather than the community of cyclists who shared my love of the sport. Nothing wrong with that, but just not for me.

« Reply #512 on: 03 February, 2017, 12:02:26 pm »
This is my 29th or 30th year of membership. I continue it, like other, for the insurance. I probably wouldn't otherwise.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #513 on: 03 February, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
Our family membership is due this month which ins't cheap. I'll probably renew as I want the insurance but I'm not completely happy about it.  I give monthly to out local cycle campaign and tend to believe that its money better spent. 

« Reply #514 on: 03 February, 2017, 03:20:34 pm »
Does your cycle campaign group have associate membership with CTC and can you get insurance through them at a lower overall price?

Edit: I meant 'affiliate':

http://www.cyclinguk.org/membership/affiliate-membership-for-cycling-clubs-and-groups-of-all-types-and-sizes

« Reply #515 on: 03 February, 2017, 03:42:06 pm »
London Cycling Campaign offer 3rd party insurance  with same insurers as Cycling UK for £9.50. Cover is world wide any bike and is open to any UK resident. Curiously its not currently included on the LCC services web page.

http://lcc.org.uk/pages/third-party-liability-insurance
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #516 on: 03 February, 2017, 06:21:45 pm »
Our family membership is due this month which ins't cheap. I'll probably renew as I want the insurance but I'm not completely happy about it.  I give monthly to out local cycle campaign and tend to believe that its money better spent.
If you only ever ride on "local" roads, then it probably seems very well spent - for you.     :P

Actually I don't blame you - it's a sad result of the recent "unfortunate" CTC changes that lots of riders are defecting to selfish local campaign groups. :(

CTC does a hell of a lot for ALL UK cyclists - stuff like law changes being the obvious one. Peeps seem to be losing sight of this, which I think is a shame.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #517 on: 06 February, 2017, 06:18:34 pm »
I understand what CUK are trying to achieve with all the changes they have recently pushed through.  I simply don't feel particularly connected or enthusiastic about them anymore.  The sacking of Chris Juden rankled a bit too.

« Reply #518 on: 06 February, 2017, 06:52:28 pm »
I understand what CUK are trying to achieve with all the changes they have recently pushed through.  I simply don't feel particularly connected or enthusiastic about them anymore.  The sacking of Chris Juden rankled a bit too.
More than a bit with me!
One other severe criticism I had - which seems to be being addressed in some small part - was the apparent wholesale dumping of the CTC heritage. I Get the sense that the modernisers haven't entirety had their own way.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #519 on: 07 February, 2017, 10:44:28 am »
CTC does a hell of a lot for ALL UK cyclists - stuff like law changes being the obvious one. Peeps seem to be losing sight of this, which I think is a shame.

Perhaps if CTC stopped banging on about "projects" they might retain members .
To me, "projects" is every bit as local and self centred as the campaign groups which you dismiss. Some people value  the local connection more than the national aspect.
It is good that  CyclingUK is getting people on bikes somewhere miles away , but I know of at least 2  local groups doing it just as effectively without any support from Godalming.
 We joined as cycle tourists  and the pleasure of riding with a local group.
 As CTC no longer offers what we joined for we have not renewed our membership.
The departure of CJ was the final straw.
I wish CUK no ill , but we decided it was no longer money well spent.

« Reply #520 on: 07 February, 2017, 04:14:42 pm »
I've also not renewed my membership after a mere 12 years of being with them.  It felt increasingly like an organisation overly focussed on urban commuting issues, rather than the community of cyclists who shared my love of the sport activity. Nothing wrong with that, but just not for me.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
Re: CTC to change their name?
« Reply #521 on: 07 February, 2017, 06:31:53 pm »
Perhaps if CTC stopped banging on about "projects" they might retain members .
To me, "projects" is every bit as local and self centred as the campaign groups which you dismiss. Some people value  the local connection more than the national aspect.
It is good that  CyclingUK is getting people on bikes somewhere miles away , but I know of at least 2  local groups doing it just as effectively without any support from Godalming.
 We joined as cycle tourists  and the pleasure of riding with a local group.
 As CTC no longer offers what we joined for we have not renewed our membership.

Our local groups are still going strong - you are welcome to join me on a ride with them!

I'm not really clear what you think you have lost. Here's a good post from a few pages back:

Just what is it people want a national touring club to do?  Apart from financially supporting a national rally, like York, I can't think of anything that isn't either better done on a local level or isn't better done elsewhere.  When I started touring the information gathered and distributed by the CTC was invaluable, now I have Google.   The local groups have been poorly supported, but all the evidence is that this has been recognised and is being addressed.  It's easier than ever to set up a new group or affiliate a club.  And funding is available in addition to the allocation grant for any project you can make a simple case for.  IMO this is the role a national organisation with an interest in touring should be fulfilling, I hope the improvements I've seen over the last five years continue.   If that was all the CTC did it would be a pretty small club, and even as an old school touring cyclist I have to recognise that.  It's a big club with diverse interests, that's good for cycling even is it isn't necessarily the best for me.

Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #522 on: 10 February, 2017, 09:35:00 am »
Well I've finally decided to go and find my dummy and rejoin following the charity thing, has it really been that long  :o Nothing to do with the rebrand, need the insurance/access to legal and found something else to sulk about with someone else

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #523 on: 10 February, 2017, 10:06:24 am »
Well I've finally decided to go and find my dummy and rejoin following the charity thing, has it really been that long  :o Nothing to do with the rebrand, need the insurance/access to legal and found something else to sulk about with someone else
;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #524 on: 10 February, 2017, 11:26:39 am »

Me too :) We shall see . . . how it pans out and whether the 'decision' to rejoin feels right as time passes

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=111430