Author Topic: A visit to Dog Trust  (Read 33276 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: A visit to Dog Trust
« Reply #100 on: 17 October, 2013, 06:47:04 am »
Glad to hear it's going better!

« Reply #101 on: 17 October, 2013, 07:52:13 pm »
We traced where she came from! Well, almost - she was found straying, probably dumped, with her sibling on a busy road in Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland. We got in touch with the rescue centre there who were so happy to hear from us and sent us a photo of her when she arrived, looking rather bedraggled but with her usual smile!

We blogged about it here: http://woofy.woollypigs.com/2013/10/pet-detective/

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #102 on: 17 October, 2013, 08:48:02 pm »
I thought I recognised the name. We stayed at Carrick-on-Shannon for a night on our Irish End-to-End over 4 years ago. The N4 is the very busy main road from Sligo to Dublin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #103 on: 17 October, 2013, 08:56:32 pm »
She and her brother were found there on the N4, bedraggled, no collars, unchipped, not spayed, by a woman who took them in for three weeks while attempting to find their owners. None were found, so she and Squishy went to the local rescue, then to Darlington Dog's Trust. Tilley then chose a rather odd couple to be her new owners. :) 

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #104 on: 18 October, 2013, 04:02:37 pm »
That blog was lovely to read, I'm glad Tilley's new staff member is better behaved  ;)

« Reply #105 on: 19 October, 2013, 11:07:52 am »
She certainly is. :) I'm doing firework desensitisation with Tilley at the moment; she is lying flat out on the floor looking totally not bovvered.

[Edit - Squishy was rehomed again :) ]

In other news, we thought her brother, Squishy, had been rehomed, but it turns out he's back at Darlington Dog's Trust. Poor lad! Anyone want to rehome a gorgeous, energetic, affectionate little collie cross who needs lots of time and training? When we met them together, Squishy was actually the calmer of the two!

« Reply #106 on: 22 October, 2013, 10:43:05 am »
For those interested, Squishy has now been reserved so will hopefully be going to a good home soon.

« Reply #107 on: 24 October, 2013, 05:29:21 pm »
She certainly is. :) I'm doing firework desensitisation with Tilley at the moment; she is lying flat out on the floor looking totally not bovvered. ...

That's good. ;D

For all that every year we get the "Keep your pets indoors on Firework night" blurb, with Diwali and people of all religions general ignoring specific nights, the firework season is probably a couple of weeks long.

Luckily, none of my cats have ever really given a monkeys about fireworks going off.  I've had both Talisker and Zev on my lap when a firework has gone off outside, making me jump in surprise and neither cat has been in the slightest interested or shocked!  I'm not sure about Kai, but he's generally got a pretty relaxed view of life, and I doubt I'd be able to easily "acquire" him to keep him indoors anyway! (He's was outside for the previous firework night, and didn't appear as a shivering nervous wreck).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #108 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:04:51 pm »
Poor Tilley has to have an x-ray tomorrow morning under anaesthetic because her elbows (the right one in particular) are causing her jip.  :( She limps quite often, her right elbow has started clicking when she walks and the vet said she couldn't get a full range of movement when she manipulated it. Tilley was very good while being prodded and pulled about, licking the vet's face and trying to eat her diamond ring.

I'm sure her recently-discovered love of jumping onto the windowsill to try to chase birds is not helping her condition...

« Reply #109 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:17:06 pm »
Best wishes to Tilley for tomorrow.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #110 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:20:00 pm »
Hope Xray goes well and it's something the vet can fix reasonably easily.

« Reply #111 on: 27 November, 2013, 03:24:44 pm »
Thanks both. I am worried, as ever. Woolly is calm, as ever, as we are doing everything right.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #112 on: 27 November, 2013, 04:05:20 pm »
Hope all goes well

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #113 on: 27 November, 2013, 06:22:29 pm »
Good luck for tomorrow. X-rays are expensive businesses.

« Reply #114 on: 27 November, 2013, 06:27:59 pm »
We are pleased we took out insurance now (though the excess is rather ouch - £90). There will possibly be an arthroscopy too, if the x-ray shows it might be needed and the right vet is around.

So far she has cost us £114 in vet's bills, but only £45 relating to this limping condition.

« Reply #115 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:13:18 am »
She's just coming round from her x-rays.

Unfortunately, she has a condition the vet called short radius syndrome in both her elbows and will have to have surgery next week.  The vet said it is fixable 'to a certain extent' and the aim will be to have her pain free and moving as normally as possible, but she may always have problems with her joints.   :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #116 on: 28 November, 2013, 12:39:56 pm »
That's sad. It has crossed my mind that, although she is quite a small dog, her legs and paws do seem to be disproportionately slender for her size. I wonder if this is a contributory factor?

« Reply #117 on: 28 November, 2013, 12:46:23 pm »
I'll ask the vet. It is a hereditary condition which usually affects large breed dogs. Surgery (from what I've read on t'internet) involves scraping away bits of cartilage, followed by a pain relief regime.

Thank goodness we insured her with PetPlan on a lifetime cover policy.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #118 on: 28 November, 2013, 01:00:04 pm »
She's a poor little scrumplet and no mistake.

« Reply #119 on: 28 November, 2013, 01:09:05 pm »
I am glad she is with us. At least we can do everything possible to give her a good quality of life. If she'd been adopted by someone without insurance, well, her life would have been very different.

Once we've met the head vet I shall contact the Dogs Trust and ask them to pass information about her condition to the new owners of her brother, Squishy, who may also be afflicted.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #120 on: 28 November, 2013, 01:10:51 pm »
Her legs are not the right size to what she thinks they are, she often don't know how to use them. Oh the joy of "hole in the fence dogs" you don't know what bits you get :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #121 on: 28 November, 2013, 03:51:50 pm »

Unfortunately, she has a condition the vet called short radius syndrome in both her elbows and will have to have surgery next week.  The vet said it is fixable 'to a certain extent' and the aim will be to have her pain free and moving as normally as possible, but she may always have problems with her joints.   :-\

So basically, your dog's got barakta arms (sort of).  I suppose being dog-shaped makes it manifest as a elbow problem rather than a club wrist, which can only be a good thing.

Fingers crossed for the surgery.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #122 on: 28 November, 2013, 11:54:23 pm »

So basically, your dog's got barakta arms (sort of).  I suppose being dog-shaped makes it manifest as a elbow problem rather than a club wrist, which can only be a good thing.

Fingers crossed for the surgery.

Barakta arms were my thoughts too when I saw this on Facebook!

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #123 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:13:10 am »
Poor Tilley, I hope the op helps.

What beers does the Barakta Arms sell?

IGMC

« Reply #124 on: 29 November, 2013, 10:16:22 am »
I just said "Barakta Arms" to Tilley. She gave me her paw! Aww.

We see the surgeon this morning at 11.00. We're also looking into canine hydrotherapy and massage, which our super-duper insurance will cover up to £1000/year.

Thanks for all your good wishes for Clicking-Tilley.