Author Topic: Are LCC in LaLa Land?  (Read 25392 times)

Re: Are LCC in LaLa Land?
« Reply #125 on: 25 October, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »
Milton Keynes and Stevenage has the best segregated facilities in the UK. The Milton Keynes Redways aren't "busy" even in rush hour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #126 on: 25 October, 2013, 05:15:18 pm »
I was reading something about Stevenage the other day and it said bikes are 2.7% of traffic there, whereas according to this, they're almost 12% in London. Why? Maybe because commuters into London usually originate in London, whereas residents of Stevenage are likely to travel to other towns (or have come from other places into Stevenage)? I don't know but it's a possibility. There are figures from 1850 there which show walking to be almost double all other methods together - probably cos nobody travelled far to work back then. So we have a bind - people won't cycle or walk cos it would take hours, and they can travel so far to work cos they have cars, trains and so on.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #127 on: 25 October, 2013, 05:16:05 pm »
but how does the visiting or new resident find their way around the red routes? My memory from about 20 years ago was that navigation was horrendous.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #128 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:11:45 pm »
but how does the visiting or new resident find their way around the red routes? My memory from about 20 years ago was that navigation was horrendous.

I don't think it's improved, from what David tells me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #129 on: 25 October, 2013, 07:22:48 pm »
Cycle-paths are impossible to navigate for non-locals - it's the law.

If they were as simple as the roads network, cyclists might use them for journeys of several miles or more. We wouldn't want that!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #130 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:36:13 pm »
I was reading something about Stevenage the other day and it said bikes are 2.7% of traffic there, whereas according to this, they're almost 12% in London. Why? Maybe because commuters into London usually originate in London, whereas residents of Stevenage are likely to travel to other towns (or have come from other places into Stevenage)? I don't know but it's a possibility.

Because unlike London, Stevenage has a well-designed high capacity road network that makes driving quick and easy.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #131 on: 25 October, 2013, 09:51:14 pm »
^^This

London has more cyclists, train passengers and bus passengers partly because it has a massively subsidised public transport system compared to the rest of the UK, but mainly because driving a car in the centre is almost impossible. People will always go for what is easiest.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #132 on: 25 October, 2013, 10:23:23 pm »
Good thread and interesting reading. I have to agree I'm another one that thinks that particular bus stop design pictured upthread is very bad and am surprised any cycling organisation would think it a good idea. It does'nt seem to be acceptable to bus passengers or cyclists. Did the trials contain pensioners and children?  And I thought well designed cycle infrastructure could be used by new and experienced cyclists alike, but the cyclists on here seem against it, it seems to increase the liklihood of conflict between pedestrians and cyclists. Like many others I'd avoid that and continue with the motorised traffic. That does'nt seem a sound design model. Jane how did your 'sort of road planning meeting along CSH4' go? Any updates?

We're told the current system has'nt recruited the required/desired number of cyclists (whatever this magic number is?) and that segregation is the answer. Our road network has been over 100 years in the making, and lots of it followed much older routes going back many 100's if not 1000's of years. So developing any sizeable network is not going to happen overnight, or over a short period of time, I think most people realise that. But I concede you've got to start somewhere. But lets at least try and make any modifications to the existing network decent ones, otherwise we're just repeating the tokenistic inadequate cycle routes of the past, which frankly I see enough of already.

I've seen figures that decent cycling infrastructure costs between £200k and £1m per km, and in these penny pinching times that sounds a lot. And thats before any extra costs like all the extra storing and locking facilities for all these potential new cyclists' bikes. I know in terms of the rumoured costs of projects such HS2 that's loose change,  but I've not seen any figures banded around of what the LCC proposes as a sufficient budget to make its dream come true, and realistically what the chances are of getting that. I think the LCC needs to return to reality a little and concede that at best its going to happen in small steps over the course of many years. That being the case, here and now in the real world,  I find it a bit puzzling that there is such vehement opposition to cycle training. We are regularly told fear and intimidation is one of the reasons that deters potential new cyclists, but even with segregation are'nt these novice cyclists also going to be intimidated by cycling along with very large numbers of other cyclists? I consider myself a competent cyclist but cycling CS7 in rush hour roulettte, in the current 'not enough cyclists' climate, can be a hellish experience. I honestly feel I'm more likely to be taken out by another cyclist than I am by any motor traffic. I know training is percieved by some as being a skillset that needs acquiring and as such is another barrier to cycling, but not being able to ride a bike is a barrier to cycling but that does'nt mean we should'nt teach anyone to learn. I cannot see something that better equips cyclists to deal with the roads as they are now as bad thing.

I agree wholeheartedly with the poster who said its being presented in binary terms. There have been personal attacks by some LCC members that leave a nasty aftertaste (not in this thread particularly but the discussion in general), and the debate seems to be framed in terms of having to be in one camp or the other, rather than having elements of both. It all seems a bit one dimensional. There's has not been enough talk in the wider debate of other points that will make a positive contribution, such as actual enforcement of 20mph zones, the HGV issue, maybe change traffic light phasing to give priority to cyclists, increased prosecutions of drivers who runover cyclists etc.

For the record I've not done cycle training nor am I a member of the LCC or CTC, I come from a bigger group, I'm simply a cyclist.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #133 on: 25 October, 2013, 11:55:49 pm »
^^This

London has more cyclists, train passengers and bus passengers partly because it has a massively subsidised public transport system compared to the rest of the UK, but mainly because driving a car in the centre is almost impossible. People will always go for what is easiest.
Yes. That's why all those Dutch cyclists look like ordinary bods, cos they are. According to the BBC people in the UK have the longest commutes in Europe at an average length of 8.5 miles taking 45 minutes. This sounds to me like slow driving but also a problem in getting people to work by bike, cos if you ride at say 12mph - seems like a reasonable speed for a non-cyclist on a BSO - then adding in stops at junctions and so on, your commute is going to take longer even though you're moving more of the time (and enjoying it  :)). It's like we can't change the way we get to work until we change the way we distribute work, housing, and stuff, but we can't change that because of the way we get to work - and we're in a slow spiral of choking gloom. We'll have to have a revolution, powered by cake.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #134 on: 26 October, 2013, 12:50:41 am »
We'll have to have a revolution, powered by cake.

I'll go for that! :D
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #135 on: 28 October, 2013, 10:40:38 am »
Some of you might be interested in this.  I have still to ride down this route.. will try and do so this week and see what I think of it in practice.  It has to be safer than what was there before.  Whether it's the best solution, I don't know. I'll reserve judgement until I've ridden it. http://ibikelondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/londons-first-truly-super-cycle-highway.html?m=1

« Reply #136 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:43:14 am »
Some of you might be interested in this.  I have still to ride down this route.. will try and do so this week and see what I think of it in practice.  It has to be safer than what was there before.  Whether it's the best solution, I don't know. I'll reserve judgement until I've ridden it. http://ibikelondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/londons-first-truly-super-cycle-highway.html?m=1

I rode from Bow roundabout to Stratford and back again at the weekend (with the building work not yet finished), and I think it looks a bloody menace.

The island bus stops look downright dangerous, with a twin 45 degree wiggle between high kerbs bringing you into direct conflict with pedestrians. There's no clarity yet on how junctions with minor roads will be handled - and I can guarantee that, no matter what the signs say, car drivers may wait for a gap in the cyclists before pulling forward, but will then sit across the cycle lane waiting to be able to pull into the main traffic lane.

Turning right is something I hadn't considered before reading the article you link to (probably because I never do turn right along there), but I'm not happy about being effectively forced to make a jug-handle/Copenhagen turn rather than simply merging across into the correct lane for where I want to go. And once you're in the cycle lane, you'll be pretty much stuck in it until the next junction, as although there are gaps in the dividing kerb, they're much too short to allow you to merge out into the L/H principal traffic lane - you'd effectively be pulling out of a junction, not changing lanes.

This of course means it's going to be much harder to use the flyover when travelling from Stratford towards Bow - you'll be forced onto the (slower, riskier) roundabout instead.

I already avoid the segregated lanes on the roundabout because they're simply inappropriate for my normal journey (turning right from the A12 Blackwall Tunnel Approach onto Stratford High Street, that road positioning would give me at least two opportunities to be crushed by a truck), but avoiding this lovingly provided lane is just going to look (and probably be) bloody-minded - it'll cause resentment or anger if I try it.

I shall have to try it once it's actually fully open and working as intended, and try to judge as I find rather than giving rein to the prejudices above.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #137 on: 28 October, 2013, 11:56:00 am »
Is there a plan for keeping them swept?
Getting there...

« Reply #138 on: 28 October, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »
New piece of newspeak: Cycle Proofing

http://www.ctc.org.uk/blog/chris-peck/cycle-proofing-what-does-it-actually-mean-in-practice

Sounds well meaning, but I fear will be misused to mean "There a crap cycle path over there, so for safety we will ban discourage cyclists from using this important road full of important people".

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #139 on: 28 October, 2013, 01:52:20 pm »
The TfL right-turn method does look very cumbersome. The Copenhagen way relies on there being an empty ASL or crossing to turn round in. Turning right across three lanes of busy, probably fast traffic, is off-putting at best, often scary and dangerous at worst. The whole road is made of ugly.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #140 on: 28 October, 2013, 02:33:58 pm »
What you will find is that this facility is not something that you can use at your normal 'trying to keep up with the traffic' speed. These facilities are nto designed for today's cyclists, they are designed for those who want to cycle but will not cycle in the way that Jon, or myself would wish to.

if you (as a battle hardened London cycle commuter) go and ride in the city in the Netherlands then you will get annoyed at the pace of the cycle traffic. it moves at a fairly steady pace, much like the traffic on the road moves at a steady, busy pace. It is not a training ride or a lung bursting commute, but an amble at a functional but not sporty pace.
Expecting a vista of wide open roads that you can blast along at your own speed is as much a fallacy as the open roads in a car advertisement.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #141 on: 28 October, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »
What you will find is that this facility is not something that you can use at your normal 'trying to keep up with the traffic' speed. These facilities are nto designed for today's cyclists, they are designed for those who want to cycle but will not cycle in the way that Jon, or myself would wish to.

if you (as a battle hardened London cycle commuter) go and ride in the city in the Netherlands then you will get annoyed at the pace of the cycle traffic. it moves at a fairly steady pace, much like the traffic on the road moves at a steady, busy pace. It is not a training ride or a lung bursting commute, but an amble at a functional but not sporty pace.
Expecting a vista of wide open roads that you can blast along at your own speed is as much a fallacy as the open roads in a car advertisement.

I have to say that this sort of patronizing tone really gets my goat.

I'm not a superman, I'm just a fat old bloke who rides a bike.

Why am I as a cyclist, who manages to use my bike safely, expected to put up with substandard facilities so that some day, someone might just feel brave enough to ride their bike?

You've had 35 years of faffing around with facilities and they are all crap, and non cyclists are even more convinced that cycling is really dangerous. Now you expect us to put up with more faffing, in the name of 'Dutch' standards and cycle proofing.

If someone wants to ride a bike they will, if they can't be arsed and someone asks them, they will think of the most acceptable excuse.

Give up.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #142 on: 28 October, 2013, 03:30:10 pm »
And, should you ride in the road, drivers will feel they have free licence to drive you into the kerb, because 'you should be on the cycle path'  ::-)
Getting there...

« Reply #143 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:26:05 pm »
Ahh YACF. The last refuge for middle aged men who like riding in heavy traffic.

spindrift

« Reply #144 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:27:40 pm »

if you (as a battle hardened London cycle commuter) go and ride in the city in the Netherlands then you will get annoyed at the pace of the cycle traffic.

I've done fifty thousand miles in London and am never anything other than utterly serene when I cycle in The Netherlands.

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #145 on: 28 October, 2013, 05:34:37 pm »
I'm not a superman, I'm just a fat old bloke who rides a bike.

I must have been cloned in my sleep!
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #146 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:03:11 pm »
To try and get some real world perspective as to how much it costs moving forward (*cringe*I can't believe I actually said those words, slaps self in face as punishment) to fund the 'first proper' cycle route, does anyone have any idea of the cost of this 1.5km section in both directions?

« Reply #147 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:14:50 pm »
Ahh YACF. The last refuge for middle aged men who like riding in heavy traffic.

I'm not just middle aged, I am fat and slow as well.

Put your thinking hat on.

What properties might middle aged men, who like riding in traffic have?

Hints:
  • Do you get to be middle aged if you crash a lot?
  • Do you enjoy cycling if you find it stressful and scary?

And yes we are an arrogant lot, we wouldn't have each discovered our own version of VC, if we weren't arrogant enough to ignore the signs, the paint, the behaviour of most other cyclists and the odd policeman.

None of the above are safety issues, they are all, partly the fault of 'Bicycle Advocates' who bang on about how scary cycling is is and how you need protecting from the traffic.

ian

« Reply #148 on: 28 October, 2013, 06:52:56 pm »
I suspect most non-cyclists have no idea who these 'bicycling advocates' you're so keen to disparage are, nor are they being told it's 'scary'. I further suspect they may use their eyes and ears and see the roads they'd have to cycle on and not unreasonably may think "that's not for me". It's ironically far more patronising to suggest that other individuals are incapable of making their own decisions and that they're making 'excuses' if they don't follow you and jump on their new bike and do a few laps of rush hour E&C.

Experienced cyclists may know that it's not as dangerous as it seems, but you need to empathise with someone who doesn't have that experience. I'm not seeing a lot of that empathy to be honest. Just the usual bullshit about 'having done this since the time of the dinosaurs' and if I can do it, so can anyone else. Well, whoopee for you. And you know what, even some 'experienced' cyclists don't particularly like mixing it up with busy traffic. There's plenty of roads and places in London I'd avoid on a bike.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #149 on: 28 October, 2013, 07:03:37 pm »
When I ride in London, I do it for fun. It's exciting, stressful, and gets the heart rate up -especially if the experience is spiced up by a few angry cabbies, RLJ-ing fellow 'cyclists', and some added bus and tipper-truck fun.

Exactly the cocktail that's designed to attract non-cycling folk to come and join in the fun, eh Ian? Can't think why the roads aren't mobbed with POBs on BSOs on their way to commuting nirvana.

;)  8)