Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 32501 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2018, 08:18:47 pm »
Nothing brewing here, I tried one of my barley wine yesterday, mellowed very well since bottling. Now nice and rich and raising. The hops are still there but less harsh
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

citoyen

• Cat 6 Racer
« Reply #251 on: March 03, 2018, 07:12:40 pm »
Called in at the homebrew shop earlier to get what I needed for a batch of Coopers Saison. Hoping to get that on the go tomorrow...

...and it's already bubbling away nicely. OG of 1063, so should be quite lively.

Now down to 1008, so 7.2% abv. Tastes good too - I used loads of Saaz hops so it has a nice spicy flavour. Not as funky as I like my saisons, probably could have had the fermenting temperature higher.

« Reply #252 on: March 04, 2018, 12:58:48 pm »
Set a couple of Turbo Ciders away this morning. 3.5l* of apple juice, 0.5l cranberry, cup of tea (4 bags), yeast**, nutrient.

*2l now, 1.5l added in a few days.

** 2 Different yeasts - Gervin and Harris cider yeasts

Set another couple away - 2.5l of apple juice, 0.5l of blueberry juice, cup of tea (4 bags, gives me about 200ml), Harris cider yeast and nutrient. I'll add another 1/1.25l of apple juice in a couple of days.

I've got a Brewferm Diabolo to go in the big bucket, last one turned out very nice.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #253 on: March 12, 2018, 06:43:57 pm »
Did you take a Final Gravity reading ? If yes, what was it ? (ie: VSOF being no longer visible does not mean that the beer is ready...)
Brew lives in the FV for two weeks and the fermenting is well and truly over. I can't remember the numbers but both about 1005-7 and started above or near 1050.

What was your fermentation temp? (Too low can lean to sluggish fermentation or stuck fermentation, meaning there is still unfermented sugar in the beer)

Were there any changes in temp ? (Yeast do not like swings in temp. If it drops quickly by only a few degrees you can shock the yeast)

Dunno, I know the start temp (about 22-26c) was good and then the temp slowly drops over the week to about 18c. Come second week it did get a wee bit nippy (16c) as I do not have heater or anyway to control heat. This system has worked fine for about 15 brews.

How clean are your bottles? (do you do separate cleaning / sanitisation soaks?)

10 Empty bottle into a glass, rinse dregs out, squirt in some starsan, store, drink content in before mentioned glass
20 GOTO 10 if not have had enough
30 WHILE 10 (always drink while brewing) take out of storage dunk into a pot of VWP, rinse in clean water, squirt starsan, fill with new beer
40 GOTO 10

When is the last time you replaced all of your hoses / filling equipment that touches beer ?
Just got a new valve from Coopers when I wore out the old one. Rest still the same.

The fun part is the brew afterwards other than being a bit tame in taste (20g Cascade didn't have enough oomph in the flavour department as I had hoped, but hey it was a leftover brew) they are behaving well.
http://www.letusbeheard.uk March in London on October 19th and on the 12th Rally 4 Our Rights

ElyDave

« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2018, 04:30:47 pm »
My barley wine has also ended up a bit gassy, with one bottle frothing over about three seconds after I opened it.  With no glss to hand, the only vessel available was my mouth. Never mind.

This was did actually have a bit higher FG than planned, but was stable when I bottled it. I put it in smaller bottles than usual, just 330ml vs the usual 500ml so may have overdone the priming sugar.

I had planned to do a batch in March, but have had no chance to even order ingredients.  I fancy making a single hop pale ale, targetting about 4-4.5%, nothing too strong but well hopped, maybe with a touch of star anise and raspberry.

ElyDave

« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2018, 09:09:58 am »
Rhubarb wine started - extracting the juice under sugar

Planning to brew my rhubarb beer this weekend as well, I had kept a sample of yeast in the fridge from the trub of my last batch made with an English ale yeast and bramling cross hops which turned out nice and fruity.  I threw in a bit of sugar and put it on the windowsill and it appears to be reactivating nicely  :thumbsup:

ElyDave

« Reply #256 on: July 06, 2019, 04:29:10 pm »
It's rhubarb wine time again.

This year will be rhubarb and rosehip as i found a bag of dried rosehips when I rearranged my office this week.  Dry extract method started on the rhubarb, 2lb of it with 1kg of sugar.

Will leave that a couple of days and add the juices to some hot-water-extracted dried rosehip juices with more sugar.