Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 170482 times)

Kim

• Timelord
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1950 on: November 11, 2019, 05:34:26 pm »
This thread needs a nod to the jam-filled babbage engines of the QE Audiology department, which are at least as problematic as the symphony of cavitation and related rattles emanating from the heating pipes below the the fitting room floors (the one direction the rooms aren't soundproofed in, naturally).  Much Type-2 fun was had trying to get Cochlear's version of The Devil's Radio to work, with success appearing to hinge on the audiologist getting fed up at the critical moment and leaving the room in search of a working computer.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1951 on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:49 am »
Windows 10 May 2019 update, why have you been hiding on my machine?  Why won't you update and just give me an error 0xc1900223.  Even using the update assistant and creation media instal on this machine fails with the same error.  Yes I have searched and basically the nuke from orbit clean instal option seems to be the way forward.  Going to leave the laptop running as I'm trying the media tool download again and update this machine.

I have been messing around for 13 odd hours, well started at 11ish and have been coming back to it every so often.  Have upgraded the OH machine, and her 'work' laptop that a friend donated to her as her school laptop is still dead and never to be fixed by the school IT department. 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #1952 on: November 18, 2019, 02:21:11 pm »
The problem was solved by downloading the update iso, installing on a usb and then installing the update.  The update took 6 or so hours.

ian

• fatuously disingenuous
    • The Suburban Survival Guide
« Reply #1953 on: December 06, 2019, 09:11:49 pm »
Apple music. Generally good. But.

Why fucking duplicate all the stuff I've purchased from Apple in my library? For which the only solution seems to be to go to my purchased history and hide it. Album by album.

One I'm ruler of everything, my mercy will be carefully rationed.
!nataS pihsroW

« Reply #1954 on: December 23, 2019, 04:22:01 pm »
A small component has failed on my mobile phone. A single sensor, the proximity sensor.

This turns off the screen when making calls and the phone is held to your face. Now it is faulty - the screen goes off as soon as I try to call and it cuts off the call.

Used to be possible to disable the sensor, but no more, not in later versions of Android. Nothing else wrong with the phone, it is just useless for making phone calls . . .

So I'm kind of forced into getting a new handset. Just because of one sodding sensor. Really bugs me.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1955 on: December 23, 2019, 09:34:16 pm »
Could you use a headset?  Or hold the phone flat and outwards like the Young People do?

I've long thought that Android would greatly benefit from an about:config style setting editor, so we're not at the mercy of whatever the molishers of the particular build thought to include in the GUI.

« Reply #1956 on: December 24, 2019, 10:37:30 am »
Could you use a headset?  Or hold the phone flat and outwards like the Young People do?

I've long thought that Android would greatly benefit from an about:config style setting editor, so we're not at the mercy of whatever the molishers of the particular build thought to include in the GUI.
Nope, the sensor is borked, so it cuts the screen as soon it thinks I'm making a call. Now also screws up calls.

Recent Android updates removed the option to disable the proximity sensor.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1957 on: January 12, 2020, 05:23:46 pm »
Strava appear to have done something to their API, b0rking the perfectly good stravaup Small Shell Script (is the author OTP?  I can't remember).  I CBA to investigate, but I expect the underlying problem is that I'm not a major manufacturer of PE-related gadgets.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1958 on: January 14, 2020, 01:13:55 am »
I have spent the evening writing cargo-cult VBA for munging BHPC race results on the dubious basis that it'll save time in the long run.  It almost works (I'm currently defeated by the syntax for making it sort an arbitrary number of rows.  Why is it always the easy stuff?).

That isn't the rant.

The rant is that the Netgear USB WiFi dongle (required for notwork access on the 'mature' BHPC laptop) appears to have bricked itself while I was fighting with Excel.  It's utterly dead.  No error messages (apart from the "cannot access stackoverflow, how are you going to write computer programs now?" in FireFox).  No blinkenlights.  No inserted-a-USB-device noise.  Nothing in lsusb if I plug it into a proper computer.  Nothing.   ???

« Reply #1959 on: January 15, 2020, 08:02:30 pm »
Download the amazing RubberDuck addin and prepare to be astonished by the code inspections