Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 411481 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #3025 on: 29 July, 2023, 08:04:01 am »
Arse biscuits.

Recovered the server disks (and did a fresh backup of _everything_)
Stated reading up on NUT, looks like I can run the client on my NAS so server, desktop & NAS can all gracefully shut down.  Didn't get it done yet :(
This morning the kitchen clocks are in blinky blinky mode again, 4th time this month  >:(  Effing sort it out Western Power.
Server and desktop both off :( :(  Both fired up ok :-)
Examining logs it seems the power was only off 07:12 to 07:15 this morning.  My UPS claims to have a run time of 1hr 3 mins which is about right for the load and age & capacity of the flatteries.   Bollards, more expense.

Do I get another APC SmartUPS & transfer the batteries or go for a new one from another brand?  This is the 2nd failed in 11 years.

2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3026 on: 29 July, 2023, 08:31:37 am »
Is it a failing UPS, or just that the batteries need to be replaced?
I've tended to stick with APC, though for home I normally buy second hand high high end ones rather than small SOHO, and replace the batteries - which is helped by having a rack to mount them in. I've had two APC failures in the last 20 years or so, both were over a decade old in my ownership and bought second hand, but batteries seem to last about 5 years. The "proper" ones are built to a much higher standard than the little ones - but you say you use SmartUPS rather than BackUPS so are probably on them anyway.
https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/ is my goto company.

Nowadays I've got three in the house; one powering the entertainment stuff and DECT phone basestation in the living room (avoiding the irritation of a short blip shutting stuff down and losing recordings), one running the server, and one running the rest of my networking kit (router, switches, access points etc.) which is pretty low load compared to the server. Segmenting it means in a long cut the server goes off fairly early as that's the highest load, but the network etc. stay up for hours so I can continue to work and use the internet from laptops during extended outages.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3027 on: 29 July, 2023, 01:23:51 pm »
I'm in the anything-but-APC camp, after acquiring an assortment of APC UPSes in various ratings courtesy of Mr-Barakta's-Dad's former employer over the years, plus one that I paid real money for when I was a PSO with a prepayment electricity meter.  They were all fine apart from the batteries, and one case of physical damage.  The ones we put into service all eventually did the classic APC thing of shunting to battery to test the battery and thereby interrupting the power when it turned out that the battery wasn't up to it.  Which it inevitably wouldn't be, because they'd all cook the batteries over the course of about three years.  In my mind, a UPS has one job, and it isn't causing power outages.  If the battery is shagged it should sound an alarm, switch to bypass mode and stay there, FFS.

(Similarly, the BHPC owns a small modern(ish) APC unit, which is utterly useless for the use-case of giving you enough time to feed the infernal combustion engine more petril if it conks out mid-race, on account of fussiness about voltage and/or frequency (I didn't have a meter to hand) causing it to run on battery until depleted and then shut down.  For added lols, its sole means of communicating with the user is a single unmarked blinkenlight and a beeper, which is insufficient to determine that this is what it's doing without reference to the destructions.  I've since molished a sensible redundant power supply for the Box of Winky Lights™ to avoid this problem.)

Anyway, a little later, also courtesy of Mr-Barakta's-Dad, we acquired a Chloride online UPS with a 3kVA rating, which was utterly bulletproof.  The original batteries lasted years, as did the ones of half the capacity that I replaced them with.  Its only weakness was a proprietary management interface that I couldn't find any specifications for, and being too heavy to lift without pyramid-building tactics.

These days we've got a now-discontinued VFI 1.5kVA rackmount thing that works well, albeit with ridiculous fan monitoring that made replacing the fans with something quieter an issue, and a smaller Salicru unit (chosen entirely on account of its dimensions) protecting the downstairs network stuff.

My conclusion is that you get what you pay for, and that online (dual conversion) UPSen are considerably better engineered than the offline type.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3028 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:50:38 am »
I typed a long reply explaining why it had to be the UPS not the batteries.  That included a side rant about another bloody power cut over the weekend when fortunately I'd shut down everything as I was out.  Then I realised I had made a false assumption that the batteries would degrade gracefully as that is what I've always seen with UPS in the past.
So I dug out some 50W resistors & found I have a dead cell, voltage is fine under no load but one battery drops instantly to 10V under load. Replacement batteries ordered.  In the middle of typing an earlier iteration of this post I had yet another bloody power glitch and I think my server and desktop are both unwell again.

Fuckety poo.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3029 on: 12 August, 2023, 12:03:17 pm »
Windows, if I tell you to “update and and shut down” then that is what I expect you to do.  Then I could have restarted the box this morning and let it strut its funky backup stuff while I shog off and do other things, like put myself outside an acceptable quantity of Brown Drink.  Instead I had to stop the backup from starting, shut down everything that autostarts, check updates from “Settings”, twiddle my thumbs while you installed Stuffs you should have installed yesterday and only then “update and restart”.  The forthcoming USAnian road trip terminates in Seattle this year, Microsith.  You have been warned.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3030 on: 20 August, 2023, 12:39:06 am »
Here's an idea, Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia.  When you update Chrome on my fondleslab, howzabout you put the previously-opened tabs back where they were before?  Chrome can manage this perfectly well under Windows so I'm pointing the finger at you, o Descendants of Jobs.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3031 on: 20 August, 2023, 01:14:15 pm »
OH JUST COMPILE YOU FUCKER

(This post sponsored by Microsoft Windows)

« Reply #3032 on: 22 August, 2023, 01:25:23 am »
Why do you die now macbook laptop.

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3033 on: 22 August, 2023, 12:53:04 pm »
To the Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia: just support Chromecast like every other major streaming service will you?
Pen Pusher

ian

« Reply #3034 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:01:08 pm »
My wife Chromecasts her New Zealandish aerobicisers from her iPhone to the TV with no hassles. Work those abs, agh agh agh.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3035 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:08:17 pm »
Oh lookee here!  Different Windows PC wants a reboot to finish installing some wanky update.  Close apps, click “Update & Restart”.  Box reboots; decides it wants a reboot to finish installing the same wanky update.

Microsith: just do as you’re fucking told, m'kay >:(

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3036 on: 22 August, 2023, 10:41:57 pm »
My wife Chromecasts her New Zealandish aerobicisers from her iPhone to the TV with no hassles. Work those abs, agh agh agh.

Probably not ones streamed from Apple TV though.
Pen Pusher

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3037 on: 23 August, 2023, 01:11:52 pm »
O hai American Airlines!

Your online check-in procedure is a thing of beauty right up to the “get boarding pass” moment, whereupon you enter your e-mail address, tap the button and…

…nothing happens.  Had to do the whole palaver again from a Proper Computer and print the damn' thing.  Mend it.

Kthxbai

« Reply #3038 on: 27 August, 2023, 06:44:25 pm »
So I don't have my Mac charger with me, but that's OK, it can charge by USB.

Hmm. Plugged in with a handy USB A to USB C cable it's refusing to draw more than 0.45 of an Ampère. Which is both strange, since my power bank happily draws a whole Amp, but also not very helpful as the lapdog uses up at least 0.05 of an Amp more than that whilst in use.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3039 on: 27 August, 2023, 10:17:59 pm »
Helped the youngest offspring and friend move home this weekend. Virgin (spit) managed to disconnect their internet at the old house a day early - not ideal as they both work from home.

So in the new house, the internet wasn't live even though Virgin said it should be. Bit the rant bit - this is what the online docs said about the issue:-

Green power light is flashing and WiFi light is green
This means the Hub is on, but your WiFi isn’t. It’s likely to be a loose connection in your home. Make sure the white cable is plugged firmly into the Hub and at the Virgin Media socket on the wall. If you’re using a splitter, make sure that’s firmly connected, too.

Perhaps it would help if Virgin didn't confuse internet (or WAN) and WiFi? The WiFi is working fine on the hub. Can connect to it, log in and access diagnostics on the hub. No problem at all with WiFi. The problem is that the hub isn't detecting the RF signal on the incoming cable for the internet. So, still may be a loose connection (or in this case more likely that they just haven't turned it on at their end), but definitely NOT a WiFi issue.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3040 on: 30 August, 2023, 12:23:29 pm »
Android!

Here is what your “alarm” function is supposed to do:

• at the programmed time, play “Intermission” by Tool to wake me up.

Here is what your “alarm” function is NOT supposed to do:

• play “Intermission” an hour and a half before the programmed time
• not play “Intermission” at the programmed time

It’s not rocket surgery.  Sort it out u muppets!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3041 on: 30 August, 2023, 12:33:37 pm »
Helped the youngest offspring and friend move home this weekend. Virgin (spit) managed to disconnect their internet at the old house a day early - not ideal as they both work from home.

So in the new house, the internet wasn't live even though Virgin said it should be. Bit the rant bit - this is what the online docs said about the issue:-

Green power light is flashing and WiFi light is green
This means the Hub is on, but your WiFi isn’t. It’s likely to be a loose connection in your home. Make sure the white cable is plugged firmly into the Hub and at the Virgin Media socket on the wall. If you’re using a splitter, make sure that’s firmly connected, too.

Perhaps it would help if Virgin didn't confuse internet (or WAN) and WiFi? The WiFi is working fine on the hub. Can connect to it, log in and access diagnostics on the hub. No problem at all with WiFi. The problem is that the hub isn't detecting the RF signal on the incoming cable for the internet. So, still may be a loose connection (or in this case more likely that they just haven't turned it on at their end), but definitely NOT a WiFi issue.

They're probably using WiFi in the colloquial 'network connection' sense that most people seem to use these days.  I'm not sure if that adds clarity.

(Calling a modem/router/switch/access point device a 'hub' is also confusing, but anyone who knows what a hub is is used to hub meaning something else.)

« Reply #3042 on: 06 September, 2023, 11:22:33 am »
Github, specifically github enterprise.

Takes everything usable and good in git and chucks it out. Everything hidden behind a bloody stupid gui that is even less intuitive than git's command line commands.

FFS, all I want to do is pull a repo, check which branches exist. Is there a simple way of doing that? Is there fuck.

I could write down every git command an entire Dev team needs to know on a single piece of A4. Github? Who bloody knows.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #3043 on: 06 September, 2023, 01:04:02 pm »
They just did the same in a The Inquiry programme saying that people WFH might suffer stress if they had poor Wifi. The WiFi connection is completely in their control and easily fixed. A poor internet connection less so.

Oh and a hub is the thing that goes round the axle.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3044 on: 06 September, 2023, 01:29:17 pm »
Well yes, but a hub is also a layer 1 network device, and every other building in a university.

« Reply #3045 on: 06 September, 2023, 06:27:55 pm »
Well yes, but a hub is also a layer 1 network device, and every other building in a university.
Also seems to be a term for a cafe in certain workplaces (mine and the last place MrsC worked)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3046 on: 06 September, 2023, 06:36:49 pm »
Quote from: mrcharly-YHT
FFS, all I want to do is pull a repo, check which branches exist. Is there a simple way of doing that? Is there fuck.
Atlassian Sourcetree an option for you?  I've been using it for 5 or 6 years now and although it is slower than command line git the GUI more than makes up for the few seconds here or there waiting for stuff to refresh.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3047 on: 06 September, 2023, 07:47:19 pm »
Here, we use Fork as a git GUI client, and it seems to be pretty good.
I'm using a free version, because I'm only an occasional user.

https://git-fork.com/

chopstick

• aka "freiston" in other places
« Reply #3048 on: 06 September, 2023, 10:06:32 pm »
Also seems to be a term for a cafe in certain workplaces (mine and the last place MrsC worked)
As I recall, my last full-time permanent job used to hold daily team meetings called hub meetings.  They decked the office out "google office" style with fake living rooms in the middle of open plan office space - looked liked a mock-up in a department store/Ikea to me.  But we weren't allowed to sit down in the meetings.  They also had weird American Football stylee work practices, with "scrum masters".  Glad I don't work there any more.

ian

« Reply #3049 on: 06 September, 2023, 10:12:54 pm »
Welcome to Agile!