Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 414393 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #1900 on: 24 September, 2019, 10:41:56 pm »
I just did some time-based maths in LibreOffice calc, and it didn't fuck up the data formats.   :o

If it weren't for being Not Excel and therefore largely useless, that might make it better than Excel...

ian

« Reply #1901 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:35:13 am »
What's that Mothership? Download Microsoft Teams?

ian

« Reply #1902 on: 25 September, 2019, 08:51:24 pm »
OMG, my medical practice has online appointment booking, sez so on their curiously 90s web page. It's like the web before pictures.

But wait, you need to have received an actual registration letter. And then you can type the long number from the letter onto a form (which you have to print) and hand in. There's probably another form you have to fill in before they send you the letter. It's hard to tell. I'm pretty sure for level 17 of the application process you have to find and use a fax machine, level 31 includes carbon paper, and the final boss level is finding a copy of your medical records on microfiche. What's that? BONUS LEVEL. Battle the Cerberus of reception!

Honestly, all I want to do is book a fucking appointment without hanging on the telephone line at 8.30 a.m. (everyone likes this system says their web page, more fun than a prostate exam).

I may as well just go to the walk-in centre, they might have a GP chained up in the back.

And I bet the fuckers still haven't got a bike rack and will look at me like I've done a big poo in front of them if I turn up with a Brompton.

Phil W

« Reply #1903 on: 25 September, 2019, 09:00:48 pm »
I went to my GP surgery with my driving licence. One of the receptionists set me up and printed me a letter with login details there and then. I had to request access to my detailed medical record but I was able to do that online once logged in.

ian

« Reply #1904 on: 26 September, 2019, 09:25:56 am »
Yeah, but I'd have to be there to that, and I don't want to take a thirty-minute trip. It was just my brief excitement at seeing a book an appointment online link quenched. They used to have an open surgery in the mornings which was good, you could just turn up and wait. Now it's the scrum. I just called and ring ring ring until I gave up. I will try again later.

ian

« Reply #1905 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:49:59 am »
 Come on, transferring a phone number on your own systems can't exactly be an edge case.

And over a week and a couple of phone calls later, the solution to this conundrum is to 'go to a store' apparently. How in the merry fuck can transferring a phone number to a new SIM be that much of a challenge?

I really hate call centres, with their solid, impenetrable walls of scripted ignorance, the deep moat of misunderstanding where every explanation will founder and drown. Somewhere in the castle beyond, I know there's someone who can press a magic button and make it all right, but I can't get there, forces are racked against me. Ah, they're pouring boiling oil of foolishness from the battlements again. Is there anything else we can do to help you? someone shouts down. Then attempts to shoot me with an arrow.

Withdraw for another day, this isn't going to be a short siege. Honestly, I think I'm going to need a trebuchet.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #1906 on: 29 September, 2019, 02:08:29 pm »
 Come on, transferring a phone number on your own systems can't exactly be an edge case.

And over a week and a couple of phone calls later, the solution to this conundrum is to 'go to a store' apparently. How in the merry fuck can transferring a phone number to a new SIM be that much of a challenge?
Probably easier to switch to a completely different network.
They are obliged to give you a PAC, so they should have proper process for this. You can request a PAC by text, no need to speak to any call centres.

ian

« Reply #1907 on: 29 September, 2019, 06:32:44 pm »
I'm transferring from T-Mobile to EE. T-Mobile being wholly a part of EE (that they're killing off in the UK). It's shouldn't be rocket science. (The benefit of staying with the same network is that my wife has oodles of data on her contract and she can gift half of it to me.)

To be entirely fair, they've been giving me free data for the better part of a decade, so I suspect my details are lost in some kind of purgatory, probably implemented in SAP.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #1908 on: 29 September, 2019, 06:54:12 pm »
I've been watching Pingu trying to install Ubuntu, that failing, then trying to restore Win 7, that failing, then trying to install Win 10, then nuking it all from orbit before starting again.
All weekend.
It's been quite tense in here.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #1909 on: 29 September, 2019, 07:07:34 pm »
I've been watching Pingu trying to install Ubuntu, that failing, then trying to restore Win 7, that failing, then trying to install Win 10, then nuking it all from orbit before starting again.
All weekend.

Hah! I have been updating Windows10 on an old laptop which also boots into Ubuntu.
Every Win10 restart boots into Ubuntu by default and waits for me to change back to Win. I've been at it since Saturday lunchtime.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #1910 on: 29 September, 2019, 08:42:00 pm »
All weekend.

Hah! I have been updating Windows10 on an old laptop which also boots into Ubuntu.
Every Win10 restart boots into Ubuntu by default and waits for me to change back to Win. I've been at it since Saturday lunchtime.

Lapdog nuked from orbit and now running on Win 10. We'll see how long that lasts  :-\

Chris S

« Reply #1911 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:30:30 am »
Fucking networks. Why is networking always so shit?

c:\users\chriss> nslookup myserver
Server: router.asus.com
Address: 192.168.1.1

Name: myserver
Address: 192.168.1.168

c:\users\chriss> ping myserver
Ping request could not find host myserver.

WHY. THE. FUCK. NOT? YOU JUST TOLD ME ITS FUCKING ADDRESS!!

ETA: Before anyone says - I'm connected to it by IP address over there ----->. It's just DNS being shite as usual.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1912 on: 04 October, 2019, 11:37:07 am »
I'm going to guess it's Windows's fault (search domains or something?  who knows...), though unisex spaceadmins can enjoy a similar now-it-works-now-it-doesn't experience by installing the NotworkMangler tool.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1913 on: 06 October, 2019, 06:06:40 pm »
Apologies, this rant crosses many YACF boundaries, but here goes:

So I bought a 2017 27 inch iMac from John Lewis in July 2018, cos they offer a two year warranty at the same price as anyone else reputable?. It was delivered by DPD.

The internal hardrive is now borked. Which happened during the latest Apple software/security update on Friday. The borking has been confirmed after two phone calls with incredibly fast talking Apple support people. I needed two stiff drinks and two lie downs after both.

John Lewis telephone tech support advise to send it back to them (my nearest JL store in Chester, where there just happens to be an official Apple Repair facility) via DPD, and the cost of sending would be refunded to me by JL.

Being that kinda person who retains all original packaging and boxes piled up in his spare bedroom (also bike boxes and wheel rim boxes and tiny little rear deralleur type boxes), I still had what the iMac was delivered in - and by the look of the labels, had probably come all the way from China via another country and possibly 2 John Lewis locations. Even though the packaging didn't give one/me much confidence - I have to accept that cardboard and that vile white stuff, protected MY iMac all the way to ME.

The reason for needing to send it being a) I don't have a car/motor thingy, b) only have some bicycles and two still fit legs, c) cos I live at the bottom of Snowdon and d) cos I can't use public transport (mental health panic issues), even if I wanted lug around a 14kg box of a now duff Apple.

Specifically iMacs are on DPD's prohibited list.

So started an order with DPD just so I could get to their 'online chat' or any faux personal/helpful? communication and get some kinda confirmation about this prohibition.

I was reluctant but willing to accept all risk against loss or damage, as there's no other way am I going to be able to return it without hiring a car (or seeking above and beyond reasonable help from moton friends, regardless the expense would be so far in excess of the circa £17 courier fee)

So DPD 'online chat' person when asked coud I send an iMac accepting all risks, says "no problem". I'm kinda thinking whoa, and asked for confirmation of said 'online chat' person's declaration - pointing out there is some confusion on the DPD website about what's PROHIBITED or just not covered by any indemnity on their behalf.

Then he categorically states NO - you can't send an iMac via DPD. But couldn't explain how they came to deliver it and probably hundreds over the years sold by John Lweis and others.

He then changes tack, and says yes I can book a collection, but if the contents get scanned whilst in their realm, it will be returned to me. He suggested NOT all parcels are scanned for their contents, so it might be fine and get back to John Lewis in Chester.

So my risk has doubled from damage or loss between here and Chester, to it doesn't make it cos it's randomly scanned and possibly damged or lost in its return to me.

I'm thinking i need to wean myslef completely off this crap and go as far off grid as possible, ie run away, and hope my sanity can recover?

ian

« Reply #1914 on: 06 October, 2019, 06:37:18 pm »
I don't understand, just ask JL to arrange collection. You don't need packaging or anything else. The point of a warranty is that it's their problem.

In other news, EE have given up trying to transfer my number to a new SIM. It's already transferred they claim, though they can't really argue with the fact that my phone thinks it's on a different number. They can't just give me the magic code because it's already happened even though it hasn't. Why don't you just give me a new SIM, I say, since it seems the obvious solution and start the bloody process again. For some reason they seemed reluctant to do this because 'it wouldn't work.' News update. It didn't work, it can't not work less. I may have got a bit ratty at this point because everyone at EE seems a bit bored and not especially competent when it comes to mobile phones, which considering their business, probably isn't a recommendation. So yeah, let's go with new SIM. Oh no, it turns out, they can't because I don't have photo ID, which seems suddenly to be a thing that wasn't a thing when they gave the last SIM two weeks before. But I can do it online, which OK, but you know that you told me to visit a shop, which I'm doing and frankly I can think of more fun things to do on Sunday afternoon.

Anyway, EE, shower of shit. I left before I got seriously annoyed because at the end of the day, it's just a phone number.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1915 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:06:33 pm »
I don't understand, just ask JL to arrange collection. You don't need packaging or anything else. The point of a warranty is that it's their problem

As far as I can understand (and it's diffucult enough without a fucked up head) ALL the small print, plus after to speaking JL tech support, paid for return to base is only applicable for the first year of the usual manufacture's warranty? This iMac is 15 months old after purchase.

« Reply #1916 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:20:40 pm »
Do you have a Waitrose close enough to get it to? I've picked up JL packages from them, so they might conceivably be willing to help - given that DPD aren't.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #1917 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:44:29 pm »
Do you have a Waitrose close enough to get it to? I've picked up JL packages from them, so they might conceivably be willing to help - given that DPD aren't.

I suggested that this afternoon to the John Lewis tech support - after informing them of the DPD no-no/questionable no confidence response

Have to wait until tomorrow to talk to the reasonably local Waitrose at Menai Bridge. (30 miles as opposed to 60 miles to Chester) and would still need a friend with a car to help.

But JL tech support, questioned (didn't know) whether the small and obviously separate (kinda) Waitrose was geared up to receive large John Lewis items like 14 kg Apple iMacs?

We shall see?

One can understand JL's (limited) extra year warranty?

And unless one 'purchases' extended warranties which include 'return to base' costs?

I think I'm looking at some considerable expenditure - or try and sell the current HD defective 2017 iMac, to somene willing to take on a DIY HD replacement project in the full knowledge of the issue - and then buy another iMac and hope that lasts more than 2 years?

« Reply #1918 on: 06 October, 2019, 07:54:07 pm »
Also, Tesco: i'm really not at all sure that the clubcard with my name on doesn't "match" my online account to such a degree that they need to be separated.

ian

« Reply #1919 on: 07 October, 2019, 09:37:56 am »
Just tell JL to take it. I've done this. They send packing and return labels, you just arrange a time with the courier. The point of the warranty is that you're not out of pocket. It will go to wherever repairs them, not the store.

« Reply #1920 on: 07 October, 2019, 10:39:35 am »
A software update shouldn’t cause a hardware failure - I presume they talked you through trying an “Internet Recovery”?

If you’re willing to take the risk, playing dumb and booking the DPD delivery as instructed and seeing what happens would be my plan.

If it is just the hard drive that’s bad, booting it off an external drive or finding a local tech who can replace the internal one would solve the problem.

ian

« Reply #1921 on: 07 October, 2019, 10:55:45 am »
My experience is that items covered under the JL two-year warranty should be handled by them, that's the bonus, you get an extra year on top of the manufacturer's warranty. Beyond that, you're in Sale of Goods territory, so it's whatever you can squeeze out of them. Anyway, if DHL won't take it (and I've no idea why), then it's JL's problem regardless. Don't just send it back to them, they will reject it. It'll need a returns number etc.

If it's genuinely broken and you've effectively paid for the warranty, then use it, I don't see why you'd contemplate a DIY fix.

I'd also question why a software update would bork the hardware, and assuming it's an SSD, then they're generally pretty robust, though if there's spinning rust involved like a fusion drive, then mechanicals do happen. I'd also work through the recovery options before bothering to send it back, it'll redo the updates etc.

« Reply #1922 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:30:20 am »
Ian,
I had a similar frustrating experience with a new I phone as I changed provider at the same time (Three) - they said my number had been changed to the sim I obtained from the Three shop - phone not working.
After numerous calls to all the help lines in the total universe with no resolution I noticed that on my contacts page it said your phone number and it was the incorrect one (the one that came with the card) but at the top of the screen was EDIT so I tried it and could then input my correct number.

Bingo it all worked - none of the tech help told me that - obviously to simple to need to mention !!!

ian

« Reply #1923 on: 07 October, 2019, 11:38:24 am »
Yeah, I tried that, unfortunately while it appears to work (I can key it in and save it), it just resets to the new number the next time I look. I assume the temporary number is till assigned to the SIM in the phone which is either faulty or infested with an evil spirit or someone at EE simply hasn't checked the appropriate box. I've not been overly impressed with the competence of their staff who mostly seem occupied with looking vaguely bored.

I need to swap the old T-mobile SIM back, and just start the process again. Honestly, I'd tell them to fuck off, but my wife is on EE and she has data to gift me, which makes it a very cheap option.

« Reply #1924 on: 09 October, 2019, 10:21:05 pm »
My TomTom GO 520 won't connect to the traffic service. It demands that I connect to an app on my iPhone, and the app can see where all the traffic congestion is, but the sat nav itself can't. The help desk is a waste of space, and they told me that the traffic service only works with WiFi, which is complete bollox, as it's worked through Bluetooth for weeks at a time.

On a completely different connectivity issue, Microchip's PICkit2 hasn't been made for 10 years, and the really useful terminal emulator feature it's got hasn't been carried onto its successors.  Now on my new computer, the PICkit2 software keeps crashing, and it refuses to work at all if I've got the USB-c to HDMI converter plugged into the computer. So it looks like I've got to have another USB-serial adaptor and a new PIC programmer, and more cables, just to do what was easy 10 years ago.
Quote from: Kim
Paging Diver300.  Diver300 to the GSM Trimphone, please...