Author Topic: The computing stuff rant thread  (Read 414167 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The computing stuff rant thread
« Reply #3150 on: 10 November, 2023, 04:11:34 pm »
Printers are sent from hell to make us miserable

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3151 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:27:42 pm »
True that
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #3152 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:34:22 pm »

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3153 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:43:22 pm »
^True

Anyhoo, I came here to vent so...

Fucking arsey cuntnugget shitface bastardy wankstains at Faecbook.cunts.  They've suspended my account again (3rd time? 4th time?).  Posted something offensive?  Nope.  Barely posted anything at all seems to be the crime.  Can't tie me to any other devices?  Ahhhh tough titty - that's deliberate you turd headed shitgibbons, I only log in to your cesspit from one device.  Can't read my phone numbers out of my phone?  Oh how my heart bleeds for you you pustules on the rim of a camel's hemorrhoid, that's because I don't have your spyware on my phone.  Can't read my browsing history?  Boo bastard hoo.  That's because I only log in on a desktop browser (opera) that never _ever_ gets used for anything else.  Can't tell where I am?  Mwahahahaha you squirrel winnet (and thank you Opera VPN).  Can't find my phone number in anyone else's phone you... you... (struggling for new invectives now, I give up) devil's buttplug, that's because I've never given that number to anyone.  I keep it active only to receive the confirmation texts from you each time you fuckers suspend my fucking account.  Can't match my photo that you demand to any others you've hoovered up?  Good.  Excellent.  That'll be because I made an effort to make myself unrecognisable in the one and only photo of me that you will get.

So what have I done wrong on faecbook?  Given a shit about my privacy - that's what.

ICBA to pen keyboard a side rant so can we just imagine another 10% of the above for my local cycling club that won't fucking move off fucking faecbook because 'it's easy' and 'what everyone uses' despite the constant and I mean constant complaints from your members about the utter shitness of tying us to faecbook.

And, breathe.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #3154 on: 10 November, 2023, 06:52:30 pm »
jeezo

ian

« Reply #3155 on: 10 November, 2023, 09:03:48 pm »
I used Facebook for one group only, so have minimal interaction, but I have to ask, when did that UX appeal to anyone? It's like they got the guy who did Geocities to run into a wall several times, drink a bucket of malt liquor, and then design them a website for free.

Afasoas

« Reply #3156 on: 10 November, 2023, 11:28:08 pm »
^True

Fucking arsey cuntnugget shitface bastardy wankstains at Faecbook.cunts.  They've suspended my account again (3rd time? 4th time?).  Posted something offensive?  Nope.  Barely posted anything at all seems to be the crime.  Can't tie me to any other devices?  Ahhhh tough titty - that's deliberate you turd headed shitgibbons, I only log in to your cesspit from one device.  Can't read my phone numbers out of my phone?  Oh how my heart bleeds for you you pustules on the rim of a camel's hemorrhoid, that's because I don't have your spyware on my phone.  Can't read my browsing history?  Boo bastard hoo.  That's because I only log in on a desktop browser (opera) that never _ever_ gets used for anything else.  Can't tell where I am?  Mwahahahaha you squirrel winnet (and thank you Opera VPN).  Can't find my phone number in anyone else's phone you... you... (struggling for new invectives now, I give up) devil's buttplug, that's because I've never given that number to anyone.  I keep it active only to receive the confirmation texts from you each time you fuckers suspend my fucking account.  Can't match my photo that you demand to any others you've hoovered up?  Good.  Excellent.  That'll be because I made an effort to make myself unrecognisable in the one and only photo of me that you will get.

So what have I done wrong on faecbook?  Given a shit about my privacy - that's what.

ICBA to pen keyboard a side rant so can we just imagine another 10% of the above for my local cycling club that won't fucking move off fucking faecbook because 'it's easy' and 'what everyone uses' despite the constant and I mean constant complaints from your members about the utter shitness of tying us to faecbook.

And, breathe.

and the other side of the coin is WhatsApp. Also owned by Faecesbook Meta. Caring about privacy == social exclusion.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #3157 on: 11 November, 2023, 10:56:05 pm »
^True

And, breathe.

Right, I'm back in and this time they may have let slip what my crime is/was.  I did not know that to use the cesspit for free you are required to accept cookies.  I shall do so in future (since Opera is set to discard all on exit anyway) and see what develops.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Afasoas

« Reply #3158 on: 13 November, 2023, 06:30:10 pm »
Okay big SAN vendor. When you sell the features of your product on their "version independence" and then don't botther to document that a certain flavour of storage replication is not 'version independent' anywhere sensible, the only acknowledgement being a paywalled knowledgebase article that you can only find when presented with a particular error message, you can consider yourselves twunts of the largest humanly comprehensible magnitude.

Thank goodness we found this absolute show stopping problem in a dry-run before it became a disaster, as it seems absolutely impossible to recover the situation in a "nice" way when you are neck deep in the dung.

This latest eposide of "SANs ruin lives" will probably see me awake until 1 AM to keep our ridiculous big bang migration on track, is just the latest example of why I harbour a massive irrational hatred of the things.
Whatever the problem is, a SAN is never the right solution.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3159 on: 23 November, 2023, 09:00:58 am »
Yahoo! Mail!

Why! Are! You! So! Fucking! Shite?

Also, laptop!  Plz to not disconnect from wifi in the middle of the night.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #3160 on: 28 November, 2023, 11:03:21 pm »
We just had everything that usually connects to wi-fi disconnected. Main desktop, spare desktop, this laptop, Mrs B's work laptop, & my phone (but I didn't notice because it connected via the phone network). Mrs B didn't check her phone, or how her work phone was connecting.

Logged into ISP through phone & their software said "We'll reset your router if you press the button", so I did. Several minutes later (much less than the 20 they threatened) all was well again.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3161 on: 06 December, 2023, 12:00:20 am »
Oversize load traffic mod!  You used to work and now you appear not to.  Doubly so for the wind turbine blade sort it out u muppet*!

* /me

« Reply #3162 on: 14 December, 2023, 04:32:33 pm »
Word 365 chose to update itself.  This has changed all my macro settings so that all the lovingly created macros I have made over the years are now disabled.  I have gone through all the trust centre settings and they are all set to allow everything.  However it is still blocking macros but not all the time!

rr

« Reply #3163 on: 15 December, 2023, 09:25:58 am »
Something really weird going on with word, yesterday I tried to say a large work document and I got an error message saying can't say because it contains personal information. Duh, that's the whole point of the document.

« Reply #3164 on: 15 December, 2023, 12:10:07 pm »
Had it updated to the new 365 version?  Seems very safety first.

« Reply #3165 on: 15 December, 2023, 01:44:53 pm »
I've no idea what flavour of Excel my work computer uses, but for the last few weeks every time I open a file it won't let me copy anything into or even out of it, apparently for my own safety. These are files created by me, on the same computer. So I have to go through and tick a number of boxes telling myself I accept the risks. This is quickly getting tedious.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

ian

« Reply #3166 on: 16 December, 2023, 01:42:54 pm »
It’s basically training you to automatically click ok to any and every dialogue box.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #3167 on: 16 December, 2023, 04:24:00 pm »
"Cover our arse" security from in-house IT.   So when the security auditors/vetting types come around they can say, "Yes we are secure.  See all these popups?  That'll stop all those nasty malicious VB scripts/macros dead in their tracks."  Of course it's as secure as Swiss cheese on a hot summer's day, partly because as Ian points out everyone drops into, "click through these pointless effing popups without reading them" mode very, very quickly, but hey; doesn't matter, *their* arses are covered if shit hits the corporate network.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #3168 on: 17 December, 2023, 06:13:21 pm »
It’s basically training you to automatically click ok to any and every dialogue box.

I just bought some new boots. On line. There's a pop-up: Your Order Is Complete! Big button says "Continue". Underneath there is some small grey text: By clicking above, you can join our partner programme for 18 pounds/month and claim your reward.

There's an "X" button in the corner, but it doesn't exit. Nor does the ESC key. Only possible response is to close the browser window (being careful not to press space or enter). FFS this sort of thing should be illegal. Not sure whether to initiate a chargeback now or wait a couple of days and see if the boots turn up, the website looks otherwise legit.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3169 on: 18 December, 2023, 04:03:23 pm »
I’ve come across that once or twice, and I’m pretty sure the last instance was a well known retailer. It’s just shit.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3170 on: 20 December, 2023, 08:34:37 pm »
Mrs Barakta's-Mum appears to have let the nice person from HP, who phoned up to help with her printer, remote into her laptop.  They told her it was full of gremlins, apparently.

So, since you'll never get more sense out of her than that, the machine needs the fdisk treatment, and all her passwords need changing.  None of which will happen in a timely manner because anything involving computers is permanently at the bottom of her things-to-do list.

>:( >:( >:( :facepalm:

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #3171 on: 22 December, 2023, 12:57:01 pm »
O hai map mod creators!

Canada uses the metric system.  So kindly:
  • put "imperial_units: false" in your province/territory definition files, and
  • sort your fucking speed limits out

That way I will not be made to run the risk of speeding fines by not crossing the Prairie Provinces of Canada™ at barely above a walking pace.

kthxbai

« Reply #3172 on: 22 December, 2023, 07:06:16 pm »
I have huffed and I have puffed but cannot get my Samsung phone to connect with my Win 11 pc via blue tooth. The PC has the latest long range TP BT 5 dongle installed. We get connected eventually but not paired. Also receiving not connected messages on phones whilst PC states connected. Ho hum. Gone through the drivers, updates, airplane mode liturgy etc, to no avail. The phone connects instantly to other BT devices such as my Rockpod speaker. Daughter No 2 also had a go with her phone but with no success either.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3173 on: 22 December, 2023, 09:20:57 pm »
Ah, Bluetooth, Windows. Good luck with that.

ian

« Reply #3174 on: 23 December, 2023, 11:54:59 am »
O hai map mod creators!

Canada uses the metric system.  So kindly:
  • put "imperial_units: false" in your province/territory definition files, and
  • sort your fucking speed limits out
That way I will not be made to run the risk of speeding fines by not crossing the Prairie Provinces of Canada™ at barely above a walking pace.

kthxbai

In my experience, Canadians do seem a bit confused, and work more on the theory of metric units than the practice, which is variable. The problem with Canadians is that they're the least suitable people for a place like Canada. But what can you do?