Author Topic: Fitting Marathon Pluses - what's the secret?  (Read 20300 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Fitting Marathon Pluses - what's the secret?
« Reply #100 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »
You need to wear Pippa's shoes.
Sorry, can't link the picture.  I'm on the mobile.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #101 on: 17 May, 2011, 06:53:49 pm »
I am probably one of the weakest people in terms of upper body strength and hand strength that I know, and yet I managed to fit a Marathon plus to my son's wheel using just 1 lever, my hands and bare feet and didn't really have any problems  ???

« Reply #102 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:24:33 pm »
I've got some Velcro cable ties that really help. My method is to get about 1/4 of the tyre fully seated and then compress the tyre as much as possible using the Velcro tie to give you the required slack to get the rest on. They are also helpful for loose cables and much quieter and easier on the paintwork than plastic ties.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #103 on: 17 May, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »
Sometimes they're OK and sometimes they are complete beasts.  Fitting Butterfly's new 28 last week to a Sputnik was really difficult, whereas putting one on my Mavic A319 was a doddle.

AWL, if they'd been unfolded for a while, then there should have been no difference from the normal M+.  Guess you were just unlucky with the rim.
Getting there...

« Reply #104 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:27:34 pm »
I am probably one of the weakest people in terms of upper body strength and hand strength that I know, and yet I managed to fit a Marathon plus to my son's wheel using just 1 lever, my hands and bare feet and didn't really have any problems  ???

Strangely, I got them (partially, as it turns out) on to the rim without levers at all. That wasn't the issue. It was just that the bead wouldn't fully seat on the rim however much I thought I'd pressed it on round the whole rim. Inflating the tyre just forced the bead off. I'll name the rim tomorrow once I've been into the garage. The same rim has just had Schwalbe Land Cruisers on it & Marathon Slicks before that without hint of an issue.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #105 on: 17 May, 2011, 09:45:27 pm »
Well I've fitted Marathon 25s, 28s and 32s to various rims without special problems. They do pop off slightly more than others, but it never seems hard to make them "catch". I even got a brand new pair Of Plusses on with no use of levers (or ties or straps or other mechanical assistance) at all a week or two back, and I often end up using a VAR lever.

Sorry, but I'm not sure what the problem is :-[

« Reply #106 on: 18 May, 2011, 12:29:10 pm »
Sometimes they're OK and sometimes they are complete beasts.  Fitting Butterfly's new 28 last week to a Sputnik was really difficult, whereas putting one on my Mavic A319 was a doddle.

AWL, if they'd been unfolded for a while, then there should have been no difference from the normal M+.  Guess you were just unlucky with the rim.

yep, I actually got a blister on my thumb fitting them to Sputniks but no problem on the Mavic A719s
Nuns, no sense of humour

« Reply #107 on: 18 May, 2011, 01:31:08 pm »
Strangely, I got them (partially, as it turns out) on to the rim without levers at all. That wasn't the issue. It was just that the bead wouldn't fully seat on the rim however much I thought I'd pressed it on round the whole rim. Inflating the tyre just forced the bead off. I'll name the rim tomorrow once I've been into the garage. The same rim has just had Schwalbe Land Cruisers on it & Marathon Slicks before that without hint of an issue.

I had the same problem with a Marathon on one of my bikes recently - just wouldn't stay on.  Had to ride Dorset Coast with far less pressure in the tyre than I like.  Fortunately it was the front one.  Now removed, and Gatorskins fitted.

« Reply #108 on: 19 May, 2011, 06:43:57 am »
Well, this Alex G2000 is the rim, so I can't see what all the fuss was about. The M+ tyres should fit...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #109 on: 19 May, 2011, 10:26:10 am »
i think an oversize rim might be a problem. i didn't have any problems fitting my m+'s couple of times (on mavic a319 and rigida snyper), but i needed to use tyre levers, which i don't normally need for lighter tyres.

« Reply #110 on: 31 January, 2012, 05:11:09 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-XUFVrl0UT4&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/-XUFVrl0UT4&rel=1</a>

Before seeing this, I totaled 4 inner tubes whilst trying to fit a 700/35 M+.  :facepalm:

Using this method, it went straight on. :thumbsup:
Don't ask.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #111 on: 31 January, 2012, 11:11:13 am »
Once the tyres are a bit older and more pliable all you need to do is make sure the beads are pushed well into the rim as the tyre goes on and this will give you enough "slack" to get the last bit on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #112 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:37:09 pm »
I managed to fit a M+ to barakta's trike last week without resorting to either VAR lever or blood loss and harsh language.  It seems that, like flying, the secret is to get to the point where the bead's too tight to fit over the rim, then get distracted and forget that it's a Marathon Plus.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #113 on: 31 January, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
That must be the douglas adams method.

« Reply #114 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:23:51 pm »
Works for me :thumbsup:

« Reply #115 on: 01 February, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »
Rather to my surprise, I fitted my new Marathon Plusses to Geraldine the lovely Pilen without so much as a hiccup.  I was ready for a big fight and they just slipped on without so much as a harsh word or even a tyre lever!

Getting the buggers onto the Claud on the other hand involved much harsh language, tyre levers, cable ties, a BIG BLUE THUMB TM and in the end, a Charlotte!   ;D

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #116 on: 01 February, 2012, 12:42:58 pm »
Works for me :thumbsup:

Didn't work for me ...without cable ties.  The bother was well worth it, though.  I've had no p*nctures at all with M+.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #117 on: 01 February, 2012, 01:24:15 pm »
I'm glad I hadn't read this thread before I fiitted Pluses. I might have thought there was a problem. There wasn't.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #118 on: 01 February, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »
It's all about the size of the rim.  Some are fine, others leave you with very little slack, and are a complete bastard.

I suspect small wheels don't help either, as there's less bead to play with.

fuzzy

Fitting Marathon Plus and other Bastard Tight Fit Tyres's (BTFT's)
« Reply #119 on: 24 September, 2012, 11:46:20 am »
This is advice from Bryn, my LBS workshop manager (when did workshop managers start looking younger than coppers) on fitting BTFT’s (Bastard Tight Fit Tyres) such as M+’s as a replacement (i.e. when you are at home, not mending visitations at the road side).

Work from the non drive side.

Get the first bead on and insert the tube (partially inflate if you need to but only very partially).

Starting adjacent to the valve, get the second bead started- push the valve deeper into the tyre to give room. Work around the rim, keeping the area you are working on away from you until the bead starts to get tight. Make sure the valve is still pushed deeper into the tyre and then squeeze the inserted beads together so they sit in the middle (deeper part) of the box section.

If you have access to a work bench, place the wheel flat on the bench with the cassette/ QR against the edge of the bench to give you something to lean into and roll the bead into the rim using the heel of your hands/ base of your thumbs.

Job should be a good un’ (I’ll let you know tomorrow after I have fettled a new M+ on to my back wheel tonight).

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

fuzzy

« Reply #121 on: 24 September, 2012, 01:38:01 pm »

Sorry for the post necromancy but, just seen this reply.

Yeahbut Feline, I think I am correct in assesing that you are part of a profession which includes training (that you may have partaken of) that includes being up to your armpit in bovine outboxes :o

Fitting M+'s is prolly a piece of piss by comparison.

Re: Fitting Marathon Plus and other Bastard Tight Fit Tyres's (BTFT's)
« Reply #122 on: 24 September, 2012, 06:14:41 pm »
Just make sure you get it the right way round  :-[  ;D

Phil W

Re: Fitting Marathon Plus and other Bastard Tight Fit Tyres's (BTFT's)
« Reply #123 on: 25 September, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »
There's a reason they are called marathon plus's; and it's to do with the fitting ;D

I do like them mind and had a couple fo sets on my bike for 4 years till the end of last winter.

« Reply #124 on: 25 September, 2012, 03:46:50 pm »

Sorry for the post necromancy but, just seen this reply.

Yeahbut Feline, I think I am correct in assesing that you are part of a profession which includes training (that you may have partaken of) that includes being up to your armpit in bovine outboxes :o

Fitting M+'s is prolly a piece of piss by comparison.

Bovine outboxes are much softer and warmer than M+'s though! (The warmest place on the farm in winter, that's why we alternate the arms  ;D )