Author Topic: Genesis Equilibrium 20  (Read 16904 times)

Genesis Equilibrium 20
« on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:46 pm »
I'm looking at getting the current model (725 frame with 105 groupset).

Any views/opinions welcomed.

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
Re: Genesis Equilibrium 20
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 04:15:53 pm »
Cheeky threadbump as I'm about to pull the trigger on one too, pending a test ride later this week.

Very keen to hear about people's experiences with these - although considering how many I've spotted lately, the silence isn't necessarily a bad thing...  :-\

fossala

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:42:03 pm »
I had a tiagra model (10). It was a fine bike for commuting.  Not very good a head on impacts with cars at 30mph+...

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:00:52 pm »
Received it and ridden 2 x 200kms on it, a very smooth ride and sound groupset.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »
Chap in the club I ride with has one and is very fast, but it might have more to do with him than the bike.

I'm quite keen on the disc equipped edition myself.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:12:59 pm »
Sorry, never spotted the original post. I bought frame & forks only and built it up into a winter bike October 2011. Perfect for that purpose and audaxes for which it get's used when the weather's not so clean. I can't think of any faults. It's not quite so comfy as my best bike (custom Ti) but I think that is probably largely due to me not quite replicating the geometry of the custom bike and the fact that I transferred bars, stem and seatpost to the Genesis to upgrade them on the best bike. The other bike is lush but I'm not at all disappointed to use the Genesis instead.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:56:53 pm »
I had a 10, and used it for commuting.  Very comfy, not too harsh and looked good.

Sizing did not suit me, but I suspect I have odd proportions.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 04:30:44 pm »
I've just built one from the 20 (725 chromoly) frame and forks. Only 20km so far but very pleased with it. Finishing touches needed but it climbs very well and is very smooth.

9kg fully assembled on a 52cm frame - who says steel is heavy?! 105 triple groupset and Pro LT finishing kit

Seems better value to build from frame and forks than buy a ready built bike - but then I have that opinion on all bikes and have less compromises.

Full test to take place on next weeks 100k Copdock circuit Audax
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

dubya

• You can't stop the waves,but you can learn to surf
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 02:01:24 pm »
I've just built one from the 20 (725 chromoly) frame and forks. Only 20km so far but very pleased with it. Finishing touches needed but it climbs very well and is very smooth.

9kg fully assembled on a 52cm frame - who says steel is heavy?! 105 triple groupset and Pro LT finishing kit

Seems better value to build from frame and forks than buy a ready built bike - but then I have that opinion on all bikes and have less compromises.

Spooky, I have just done the same.  Genesis Equilibrium Red Frameset + triple 105 groupset.  Sits on Spa 105 / Rigida Chrina wheels.   And I'm breaking the bike in on Copdock Circuit too!  See you there...

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:49:14 pm »

I agree. I reckon I can build the bike myself with full 105 and better wheels/finishing kit for a couple hundred cheaper than an off the shelf model.

I might wait until 105 5800 11 speed is out in June and build it myself.

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:00 am »
The bike didn't quite make it to the Copdock Audax. I was ill the week before so hadn't managed enough testing to get the handlebar height where I wanted it so decided not to ride a 100k Audax with 2" of steerer tube sticking out of the stem and the faithful Trek took me round instead.

I had a day off yesterday to finish the Genesis and a 20 mile test loop proved my inital thoughts - it's lovely!

Sorry didn't see you Dubya, I've only just caught up with this forum post. Had a wonder round the start and didn't see your Equilibrium I'm afraid. Will look out for you next time. Mines in the cream colour with black Mavic Aksium wheels if you ever spot it come and say hello.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:29:01 pm »
Getting close to pulling the trigger. Need to sit on a few though.

What size do people feel this bike would be best for me? I'm 5'9 with 31" inside leg. Genesis size guide isn't too helpful.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
Update

The Equilibrium went over 900km earlier this week on the way to watching the TDF. It's proving to be very comfy and long days in the saddle are a pleasure. On 25mm Schwalbe Duranos and Mavic Aksium rims there is hardly any road buzz and only substantial potholes put it off it's stride.

I rode it over the three main hills on stage 1 of the Tour in Yorkshire and it climbed very well - I was glad I fitted a triple though but I'll put that down to my weedy legs! Descending at up to 64kmh (according to my wireless basic Cateye computer) it was also very stable and I had full confidence in it.

Glover Fan, I ride a 52 (I'm 5'4 with 28" inside leg) which matched the size of my 2007 Trek 1.2 (in fact they seem to have very similar geometry). I took a punt before sitting on any and got the size right - guess you should start with your current size and sit on a few as you say.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 06:59:06 pm »

What size do people feel this bike would be best for me? I'm 5'9 with 31" inside leg. Genesis size guide isn't too helpful.

Well... I'm 5' 9" with a 31" inside leg (as per my M&S trousers anyway... haven't physically measured it).

I have a Genesis day01 in a 52 frame which fits me beautifully.  I'd assumed that I'd need a 54, based on my other bikes being 54 and 55, but the guy in the shop reckoned 52, and it turns out he was right.  The way it is set up, the riding position is almost identical to my 54cm Felt.

Not sure how the geometry compares with the Equilibrium though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 09:14:48 pm »

Well... I'm 5' 9" with a 31" inside leg (as per my M&S trousers anyway... haven't physically measured it).

I have a Genesis day01 in a 52 frame which fits me beautifully.  I'd assumed that I'd need a 54, based on my other bikes being 54 and 55, but the guy in the shop reckoned 52, and it turns out he was right.  The way it is set up, the riding position is almost identical to my 54cm Felt.

That's interesting.

I looked at the geometry and the 54cm Genesis looks a smidgen bigger than my 54cm Focus. I was leaning towards the 52cm and was shocked when I read that someone who is 5'4 and 28 inch inside leg was riding a 52cm!

I want this bike to be perfect as I'd like to do longer audax rides and a LEJOG on it, so needs to fit well. Will have to sit on one in a shop, even though I intend to build one up myself.

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:21 am »
Glover fan

I'm 5ft 9 and 31 inch leg.  I went for a 56 which us perfect for me.  I think you live bristol way, so feel free to come round and try it for spin.

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 09:22:31 am »

That's interesting.

I looked at the geometry and the 54cm Genesis looks a smidgen bigger than my 54cm Focus. I was leaning towards the 52cm and was shocked when I read that someone who is 5'4 and 28 inch inside leg was riding a 52cm!

I want this bike to be perfect as I'd like to do longer audax rides and a LEJOG on it, so needs to fit well. Will have to sit on one in a shop, even though I intend to build one up myself.

It does seem to me people tend to ride smaller frames than they used to. When I bought the Trek in 2007 I sat on it and the bike shop advised 52 (or it was the one they had in stock without telling me). I did actually consider the Equilibrium in a 50 this time round but it was a surprise present and the bike shop who know me well suggested to my wife the 52 when she bought it. It certainly looks in proportion and the seatpost has a good three inches visable and I'm very comfy on it. I have used a quite short stem (90mm) and compact bars but that's the benefit of building from a frame only.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 07:57:39 pm »
Glover fan

I'm 5ft 9 and 31 inch leg.  I went for a 56 which us perfect for me.  I think you live bristol way, so feel free to come round and try it for spin.
Crikey. That's confused the situation further. I have been debating 52 and 54, now 56 is thrown into the mix.

I might take you up on your offer. However, do you have a long torso if that makes sense? I struggle with reach on my Medium Giant which was meant to be bang on for my height and inside leg, but I have had to put on a 90mm stem and move the seat as far forward as it can go to get comfortable.

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 01:28:22 pm »
I have a 2013 00 and went for a 54. I am 5' 9" and have a 30" inside leg. Mine fits me perfectly too! ;)

velosam

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 07:19:42 pm »
They come up very small. I had a 56 and I am just under 6ft, I should have been on a 60 ???

Chat to interzen he just got a croix de fer and the sizing should not be that different. :)

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 10:18:06 am »
Glover fan

Crikey. That's confused the situation further. I have been debating 52 and 54, now 56 is thrown into the mix.

I might take you up on your offer. However, do you have a long torso if that makes sense? I struggle with reach on my Medium Giant which was meant to be bang on for my height and inside leg, but I have had to put on a 90mm stem and move the seat as far forward as it can go to get comfortable.

Not unusually, I do like a high riding position though.  As said feel free to pop over, or try some in other bike shops (evans had some in a few weeks ago)

velosam

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 08:35:43 pm »

So long legs and short torso, 56 is what I would get

dubya

• You can't stop the waves,but you can learn to surf
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 03:14:11 pm »
I have a Equilibrium Red frame 2014 model, 56cm.  I'm 5'11" with 31" inside leg.  I managed to buy a stock equilibrium handle bars and stem off a guy who was upgrading so the sizing is pretty stock.  I have a brooks B17N saddle on it and find the bike extremely comfy.  I built mine up as I wanted a 105 triple, turned out to be cheaper than buying a Equilibrium 20. I have Spa wheels, which are strong and quick enough for me.  I'll be doing Suffolk Lanes Extravaganza 210K on the bike this weekend.

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2014, 08:58:08 pm »
After some umming and erring good deals are being found on the range now, but I think I prefer the Green of the equilibrium 10 and the silver Tiagra grupetto finishes it off nicely.

I am fairly certain a 56cm is the way to go, just need to sit on one to be sure.

EDIT: Just bought equilibrium 10 in size 54. Found the geometry charts for my Focus and Giant and the 54 makes the most sense.

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2014, 09:33:59 am »
Enjoy GF a good choice,  look forward to seeing you on it around Bristol.