Author Topic: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October  (Read 12363 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Friday Night Ride To The Coast - October
« Reply #25 on: 09 October, 2008, 12:09:05 am »
The Canterbury West train goes through Ashford and Sevenoaks. It's the other train, the direct one from Whitstable, that retraces the route back to London.

Unfortunately, it's not just a question of the train from Whitstable taking longer - it will also include replacement buses for parts of the route, not very bike friendly. Anyone wanting to take the train back to London will need to go to Canterbury. But it's only five miles (if that) along a pleasant, easy-going off-road route, using the old Crab & Winkle railway line. Being a native, I will happily act as a guide from Whitstable to Canterbury for those that need it.

d.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #26 on: 09 October, 2008, 12:21:49 am »
The Canterbury West train goes through Ashford and Sevenoaks. It's the other train, the direct one from Whitstable, that retraces the route back to London.

Unfortunately, it's not just a question of the train from Whitstable taking longer - it will also include replacement buses for parts of the route, not very bike friendly. Anyone wanting to take the train back to London will need to go to Canterbury. But it's only five miles (if that) along a pleasant, easy-going off-road route, using the old Crab & Winkle railway line. Being a native, I will happily act as a guide from Whitstable to Canterbury for those that need it.

d.

Err....
I'm looking at the National Rail site and although it's a long train ride - there doesn't appear to be any evidence of a replacement bus service between Whitstable and London.
I'm all ears if anyone can tell me otherwise...
Is the 'bus replacement service' information emanating from elsewhere?
Like South Eastern? or is it Southern?

citoyen

« Reply #27 on: 09 October, 2008, 12:51:27 am »
Hmm...

OK, just looked at the national rail website and the trains on Saturday morning are going via Strood/Gravesend/Dartford instead of the normal route via Longfield/Bromley South, which would explain why it's taking longer than usual. But there's no replacement bus. So I was mistaken. Apologies for the confusion.

The Strood train line does very closely follow the FNRttC route in reverse.

d.

« Reply #28 on: 09 October, 2008, 01:06:08 am »

The Strood train line does very closely follow the FNRttC route in reverse

Enchantingly closely  ;)
G'night.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #29 on: 10 October, 2008, 09:00:01 am »
Looks like a fine assortment of riders.

Have a good one everyone.

H

« Reply #30 on: 10 October, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »
Have a good ride you lot. Looks like you'll have good weather tonight, possibly a tailwind all the way :thumbsup:
I'll eat some banana walnut loaf now, by way of paying my respects for not riding with you. But the banana walnut loaves will be used as fuel for the 6 or 7 of us riding the 600, which we'll be starting when you are near the end of your FNRTTC So there :P

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #31 on: 10 October, 2008, 07:40:27 pm »
 :-[ :(  sorry a no show for me, the builder is coming early tomorrow morning to try and fix the floor so I have to be about, have a good ride everyone.

What did I say about unseen forces getting to work  :)
"Don't stop pedalling"

« Reply #32 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:10:04 pm »
Shame FWN - I know you would've enjoyed this. Another time, eh?

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #33 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:37:30 pm »
Have a great time you lucky lot.  I'll try to join you next year.

I'm up at silly-o-clock in the morning to get the train to Embra for a work-filled weekend.  If I were in the group working 'nights', then doing FNRttC might just work - train up north (and ZZZ) all day, then a bit of a kip in the hotel, then up in time to start work at midnight.

My train trip tomorrow too is affected by Weekend Engineering Work - some of which I'm involved with from a work point-of-view.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #34 on: 10 October, 2008, 10:50:00 pm »
I fancied this one, but we're off to see a re-enactment of the Battle of Hastings!

« Reply #35 on: 11 October, 2008, 12:36:24 am »
Am gutted I had to miss this after all.

Rob discovered a broken spoke when he finally decided to check his bike an hour before we were due to leave  ::-) Yes, I had been suggesting most of the day that he should do his checks....

He could have taken my Globe except it needed a new chain putting on on account of how I'd changed the sprocket earlier in the week (I decided it really wasn't in the dropouts quite enough with the old one), and I'd never done that before, and although I struggled and eventually got it on it was too late. I don't think the mushroom headed peens on the chain made things particularly easy.

Not a happy person.  :(

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #36 on: 11 October, 2008, 04:02:14 am »
At the half way cafe. Just scoffed a bacon buttie and a piece of JT's birthday cake. A good ride so far.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #37 on: 11 October, 2008, 12:54:30 pm »
Well I've just got home, thanks to directions from Adrian et al on the torturous routes around our railway system.

This ride was very good, with impeccable weather, the skies stayed fairly clear for most of the ride, although there was a bit of low level mist at times.  This did have the advantage of producing some very scenic views, especially around sunrise.

There were four punctures, and Brian had an unfortunate slip off.  Hopefully it hasn't done any permanent damage, and since he intended cycling back home from Whitstable, I guess he was feeling OK.  Most of the mechanicals seemed to get dealt with OK (eventually!), but big kudos to the guy who cycled from Shooters Hill onwards with no rear derailleur, and only two front rings.

The midway coffee and sarnie was very good and very welcome, and the breakfast was also very good, and pretty rapidly delivered.

Even the trip from Whitstable onto Canterbury in search of a suitable train was fun and interesting, although some people possibly would have found the slightly off road gravelly surface a bit daunting in places!

The route from my GPS is on bikely (simplified down to 500 points with GPSBabel).

As always, big thanks to Simon, and everyone else involved, for an excellent and very well organised ride.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #38 on: 11 October, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »
Well' what a jolly outing to the seaside that was. Tired now......zzzzzzzzzzzz
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....

« Reply #39 on: 11 October, 2008, 10:02:15 pm »
Well that was great:
An excellent new route with some very pleasant country lanes and what is stated to be the finest Georgian William IV street in the land.
Lovely weather which, although we had beautifully clear stary skies, was surprisingly mild.
Two new cafes, both of which did a fine job. In Andy's Cafe I felt the owner was open more to enjoy being up in the middle of the night than anything else.
Considerate drivers.
The most superb sunrise over Graveney Marshes just before the end. A low mist gently drifting over the sheep, some of which were sitting there with their heads poking through, but not the one that looked dead. I hope that someone managed to capture at least a part of what that scene felt like on camera.
My new wheel out for its first ride of any length and not falling apart.
My new light going some way toward justifying its price.
Thanks to everyone for your company and especially to Jurek and Simon for the planning and leading.
How sorry must anyone be who missed it? Especially those who actually came to the start but decided that they would rather go to bed, no accounting.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

« Reply #40 on: 12 October, 2008, 07:52:34 am »
... Especially those who actually came to the start but decided that they would rather go to bed, no accounting.

People do that?  If I was at the start I'd go, unless the back wheel was about to fall off, or I was coughing up my guts. :-\

...especially if there were a bunch of nutters already about to go off!

citoyen

« Reply #41 on: 12 October, 2008, 08:05:49 am »
Thanks Simon and Jurek for organising a splendid ride. Excellent cafe stops, lovely scenery and great company - what more could anyone want?

I'd had a very busy and tiring week at work, but I must have been even more tired than I realised, and I was in danger of nodding off a couple of times on the ride. Not good. I got home at 9.30am, went to bed and straight to sleep, woke up briefly at 9.30pm, went back to sleep and slept through to about 5.30am this morning.

Again, apologies to anyone who found the C&W route to Canterbury a little too off-road for their liking. :-[

d.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #42 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:48:35 am »
Arriving at Kings Cross at 11:55 (thanks National Express you useless b******s)  meant I had to intercept the ride at the Embankment. I suppose it makes a change from hanging around HPC for over an hour as is normally the case.

The first half of the ride was routine with little of note. Most of the reactions from the public were of the foul-mouthed jeering variety which was a shame - no dangerous behaviour or driving but it interrupted the feeling of calmness and camaraderie as we progressed on our way.

The cafe at Rochester was excellent. Our pre-prepared bacon sarnies were waiting for us and coffee and tea were soon doled out. Not long after, the lights went out and a chorus of Happy Birthday started up as Simon emerged from the back carrying a large chocolate cake complete with candles - for me! Thank you everyone.

It seemed even colder than usual when we restarted but from here we soon reached the dark country lanes where it was great to be riding under clear, starry skies. The tricky gravelly bit wasn't too bad after all: Jurek and I were on the front, lights on full beam calling out "gravel!" and "hole!" while maintaining a safe pace.

Much further on, Adrian was signposting a corner and chanting his mantra of "steep and gravelly" as we went by. It was steep but not very gravelly. I think it was this same section where the road flattened out and was quite greasy in parts. I heard the awful sound of a rider hitting tarmac behind me - (Life of) Brian's wheels had gone from under him. Brian landed very heavily on his right side but was generally OK.

The sunrise was really pretty with the mist and the sheep. A perfect end to a glorious ride.

Apologies for clearing off before breakfast but after my earlier train problems I didn't want to leave anything to chance on the way back. Thanks to Jurek for leading us, Simon for the usual high level of organisation and everyone who did their bit by signposting corners or helping with punctures.

A most enjoyable way to start my birthday.

a great mind thinks alike

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #43 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:53:56 am »

Again, apologies to anyone who found the C&W route to Canterbury a little too off-road for their liking. :-[

d.

Cand W is lovely- and a really easy bit of off road- what lightweights some of you are! If some of you would ditch those tiny narrow things with about four spokes that you call wheels, we could have taken the Creek path from Faversham- but I guess the chances of a few of those sleek machines ending up in the creek was a bit too high!
But really,  it was a great ride with great people and I really enjoyed it (must also confess to feeling a little bit jealous as you all whizz past me up the hills- then I gaze upon those skinny wheels and tyres with more than a touch of envy. Although riding my bike, the wheels of which alone  seem to  weigh more than some complete bikes, gives me a convenient excuse for being  so slow up the hills, not sure I want to get a lighter machine and have to 'fess up then, that, actually, I am that slow!) 
Thanks once again to Jurek and Simon and all the other markers and managers- I won't be on November's ride but am already looking forward to March.
    Jane

« Reply #44 on: 12 October, 2008, 11:22:12 am »
I do like the roads around Whistable. Such a variety of scenary in such a small area.
Thanks to Simon and Jurek and all the other helpers.
It was a most enjoyable ride back with Pushbikeman. Trying to Navigate Maidstone will always be difficult and using the A20 although not pleasant gets you to where you need to go a lot quicker.
Went over one pothole which reminded me that I had a bad shoulder and leg. THe ibroprufen did its trick. Thank you to the lady for the supplies.
Feeling a bit stiff this morning, no bike ride today. Looks like I will have to go for a walk instead as you just can not be inside on a day like today.
Thanks for all your concerns but I am a stubbon old git and nothing will get in the way of me cycling.

« Reply #45 on: 12 October, 2008, 12:07:27 pm »

A actually did like that bit, I wasn't being sarcastic!  There are some members of this esteemed place, who had they been present, would have been less than happy. ;D

Having said that, at one gravelly location, with a bit of hill, if it had been ever so slightly steeper or gravellier, on my single-speed I would have had to get off and push.  It was still far preferential to what would probably have been a lot of saturday morning drivers off to go shopping, even the short bit of road before the station was fairly busy.

I quite like it on rides like this when we have bits of not-quite off road, which are utterly car free.  Along the sea front at Southend was interesting last month (even if strictly speaking a no-no for cyclists!).  I guess that unfortunately they do tend to be slower than the more traditional on-road parts, so too many on a ride would slow things down too much.

Edit: This is the route from the Cafe on the seafront to Canterbury West station.

« Reply #46 on: 12 October, 2008, 09:24:06 pm »
A beautiful ride!  If I could do it again tonight I would, but then it would never be the same. 

Some other photos over here.

Simon, Jurek, the support team and riders: thanks to everyone for making it another fantastic night. 

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #47 on: 13 October, 2008, 11:04:28 am »
That was another brilliant night ride  :thumbsup:  I've done the Whitstable route twice before as a night ride and the weather on Friday night had to be the best of all three of the trips.  The sunrise was simply stunning & I never imgaine we'd be sitting outside the Whitstable cafe in Oct. enjoying the sea views.  And as always it was a pleasure to cycle with everyone and the company on this rides it part of the enjoyment. 
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #48 on: 13 October, 2008, 11:19:11 am »
Preparing  this ride with Simon and Adamski, was nothing short of pleasure – quality rides in quality company – somewhere in the order of  six or seven times down to Whitstable this year – including the first few times with others , some of whom did not accompany us on Friday.

For me though, the real heros are listed below: Adamski, JT, Smutchin, Flying Dodo, Adrian, Andrij, Jasper the surreal cyclist, Pushbikeman, Paddington, Werner, Arthur, Matthew, Des and  Alan Ball.
At some point of the evening I asked each of the above to waymark a contentious junction, while the peloton sailed past them. Without their help our numbers would undoubtably have straggled and thinned out  - but they didn’t – and the help from those above made my life considerably easier.
Thank you all.

Chapeau plus to Iftkhar and (I think) Andrew J, both first timers on FNRttC – the conversation with both of them, went something like this….

Jurek – 'Could you mark the next junction for me please? We’ll be turning left and right at the double roundabouts.'
Iftkhar  – 'Yes, of course.'
Jurek – 'Thanks'
Iftkhar – 'Errrr… What do I do?'
 ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

It has been said elsewhere, and I can add little to it – but the last 18 or so miles were the made-in-heaven icing on top of what was a pretty fantastic ride.
As usual, it was great to meet some new faces – I hope everyone else enjoyed the ride as much as I did, and I hope we see you on this route again as I am pretty sure we’ll be doing it again next year.

« Reply #49 on: 13 October, 2008, 11:45:37 am »
Looks like a cracking ride was had! Some fantastic photos there Swarm_Catcher  :)

Hope you recover ASAP Life of Brian.