Author Topic: Throat hell in Morocco  (Read 1427 times)

Throat hell in Morocco
« on: 16 May, 2014, 10:34:35 pm »
Has anyone experience of throat problems cycling in hot, dry countries? I developed a common cold on my third day in Morocco (no doubt caught on the plane) , and since then my throat has been shot to pieces.

Swallowing is incredibly painful and as a consequence my cycling is suffering, but worst of all I've been unable to sleep properly for days.

What I suspect has happened is the virus trashed the throat lining and the dust, which is everywhere and unavoidable, is preventing it from healing.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

BTW, on the 9th day so would have expected a cold-based sore throat to have run its course by now.
The sound of one pannier flapping

Re: Throat hell in Morocco
« Reply #1 on: 17 May, 2014, 09:50:28 am »
dry weather and dust drying out through - leaves it vulnerable to infections - check back of your tongue for white spots. That would indicate streptococci  bacterial infection.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2 on: 17 May, 2014, 12:33:11 pm »
Or MERS. Remember - never kiss the camels.

Get well soon!

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3 on: 17 May, 2014, 02:31:25 pm »
When I went, 12 years ago, I had a sore throat all the time we were there, but then we were staying in Marrakesh, air pollution from the cars and trucks was quite bad.

It cleared up as soon as I got home.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #4 on: 17 May, 2014, 02:45:03 pm »
Thanks all. Throat slightly better today, although still unable to speak and swallowing a bit sore.

I'll just expect it to stay this way until the end of the trip in 5 days. It's in a managable state now, and my French is crap anyway.

I'd thought of Mers but I've only seen a few camels so far and none on kissing terms.

No spots or swollen glands so I'm hoping it's nothing worse than a cold.
The sound of one pannier flapping