Author Topic: 100 cycling-related research papers (until 31st of August, 2014)  (Read 1706 times)

Taylor & Francis have made 100 cycling-related research papers available for free, online until the 31st of August (normally you need uni log-in gubbins or similar).

May contain SCIENCE or traces of SCIENCE.

http://explore.tandfonline.com/page/pgas/cycling

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: 100 cycling-related research papers (until 31st of August, 2014)
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2014, 06:15:52 pm »
Nikki, are you a member of Birmingham Cyclist?

Just the sort of thing for that site.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2014, 08:43:14 pm »
Not really, no - feel free to pass it on.

« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:04:44 pm »
To put a link, or to put the papers? Copyright could of course be broken by putting the actual papers there.

« Reply #4 on: 22 July, 2014, 11:20:53 pm »
Some interesting papers there. Rachel Aldred's "On the outside: constructing cycling citizenship" (2010) analyzes the ways people in Cambridge construct a cycling identity:

Within highly motorised societies a cycling identity must be worked at, and even in Cambridge cyclists can feel ambivalent about this identity... However great the diversity among cyclists, they are popularly defined as a minority group. As discussed above, they feel under pressure to define themselves as a ‘good’ or ‘deserving’ cyclist, within the context of often hostile media coverage. Of course, ‘good cyclists’ imply the existence of ‘bad cyclists’, and thus interviewees spoke critically of, for example, ‘fanatical cyclists … extremely arrogant and very dangerous cyclists with the high speed bikes, Lycra, helmets, often listening to something’. Another said ‘London cyclists are extremely aggressive’, and most commented negatively on dangerous cycling by ‘language school students’ in Cambridge. Where ‘bad cyclists’ exist, another option is to reject the struggle for ‘goodness’ and defiantly claim a deviant identity.

It's funny to see one's peers presented as anthropological subjects. And the interview responses are surprisingly upbeat.

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2014, 03:05:47 pm »
Timothy Gibson's "The rise and fall of Adrian Fenty, Mayor-Triathlete" discusses how cycling, formerly a working-class activity, came to be perceived as an elite activity, associated with gentrification and the rise of "creative industries", and how this became a factor in the politics of Washington, D.C.:

The ‘cyclist’ is thus ... a relatively exclusive identity, the take-up of which requires a very specific accumulation of cultural and economic capital. It is marked first and foremost by a distance from necessity. Cyclists ride, but do so out of choice. Cyclists could drive to work (and most likely also own a car), but for reasons both tangible (health) and abstract (politics), they choose not to drive. They have the economic capital to live relatively close to the workplace and to buy the expensive gear needed both to keep warm and, not incidentally, to signify their distance from the more proletarian riders on the trail. And they have the cultural capital to find larger political and social significance in a brisk ride to work and to communicate these values persuasively to others (i.e. riding as a fight against obesity, riding as a blow against global warming).

[...T]his case provides a useful illustration of how leisure and recreation activities – typically viewed as individual choices or preferences – can become, through a contingent process of political articulation, condensed and powerful symbols of class inequality and antagonism within the urban political field. As one resident put it, the equation of ‘bike lanes’ with ‘Fenty’s folk’ and ‘the gentrifiers’ crystallised suddenly during the campaign, casting the newly painted lanes in his neighbourhood in a completely different light.

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2014, 10:34:10 pm »
Gareth, should it ever get to the point where I find myself having to do a lit review for a PhD, could you do me a summary series of interesting extracts to ease me in, please?  ;D

red marley

« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:06:41 pm »
If any Londoners, or those within easy reach of London are interested, there will be an LCC Policy Forum Seminar chaired by Rachel on the 23rd September at 6:30pm at the University of Westminster's Baker Street campus. The idea is to link various academic studies of cycling behaviour with cycling policy and practice. There are some interesting speakers there who have featured in those 100 cycling-related research papers (and me).

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2014, 11:38:38 pm »
Oooh! nice visualisation tools/work, jo! Your stuff looks really interesting too.

« Reply #9 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:42:25 am »
I am attending the seminar Jo  :thumbsup:.
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2014, 09:45:35 am »
Would have been interesting, since I appear to be joining the ranks of the commuters in the Big Smoke. However, I have another meeting that night.