Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 289208 times)

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1725 on: 27 September, 2021, 12:18:12 pm »
I got drenched on the way in despite waterproof jacket and trousers. Two hours in constant heavy rain will do that.

Poured the water out of my shoes and wrung my gloves and socks out. Glad I brought extra kit for the cycle home

Ten minutes after arriving at work it was clear blue skies to add insult to injury.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Re: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.
« Reply #1726 on: 27 September, 2021, 12:48:18 pm »
Cycled 90% of the way to work quite happily in a very slight drizzle and was still dry. Then in about a mile I went from dry to TOTALLY soaked. The rain was just biblical for about 30 minutes. Now intermittently drizzling and shining.
I did not bring spare kit for the way home☹️

« Reply #1727 on: 27 September, 2021, 01:00:05 pm »
Chris, I find it an almost invariable rule that if it's only going to rain for a short while on a ride it will be the last ten minutes, after which it might as well have rained the whole time!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1728 on: 27 September, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »
Thick fog this morning, first time this autumn.  Lifted quickly enough, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #1729 on: 27 September, 2021, 06:59:18 pm »
This morning's early dog walk revealed that both of my walking boots leak, not just the one I'd previously determined.  And they are only a couple of years old.  GRI Sport, leather, about £100 if anyone needs to know.  The second pair I've had.  Not buying any more of them thank you.

Order placed for a Hi-Tec pair at half the price (reluctantly) as made in China.  Maybe they'll last the winter.

A pair of proper boots used to last me 10 years, up hill and down dale.  Not any more.  I despair.

Maybe this should be in the Grumble or Rant thread......

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1730 on: 28 September, 2021, 01:05:30 pm »
This morning's early dog walk revealed that both of my walking boots leak, not just the one I'd previously determined.  And they are only a couple of years old.  GRI Sport, leather, about £100 if anyone needs to know.  The second pair I've had.  Not buying any more of them thank you.

Order placed for a Hi-Tec pair at half the price (reluctantly) as made in China.  Maybe they'll last the winter.

A pair of proper boots used to last me 10 years, up hill and down dale.  Not any more.  I despair.

Maybe this should be in the Grumble or Rant thread......

I'd look out for a pair of Altbergs on special offer at Taunton Leisure. Mind you, Altbergs have increased in price by about 20% since I bought mine almost 3 years ago.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #1731 on: 28 September, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
The Dyson desk fan has gone into its hibernation storage (stashed behind my monitors) for the second time this year.
This time I think it may be for real.

« Reply #1732 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:21:52 pm »
And today my wife put the winter duvet on the bed - it's a fine day so she was washing, and decided the time was ripe.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1733 on: 29 September, 2021, 12:31:54 pm »
The Dyson desk fan has gone into its hibernation storage (stashed behind my monitors) for the second time this year.
This time I think it may be for real.

The “Hope”* desk fan, otoh, was still in use yesterday as the temperature in the Estate Office reached 28 C.

* Sainsbury’s finest with a Hope sticker on the base rather than CNCd in Barnoldswick.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1734 on: 29 September, 2021, 04:26:50 pm »
 Blimey thoubut the temperature has dropped. I’ve a t shaped shirt AND a brushed cotton shirt on,  it I’m still a bit chilly. At this rate I’m going to have to think about wearing trousers!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1735 on: 29 September, 2021, 05:30:14 pm »
Shall we call you Donald?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1736 on: 29 September, 2021, 06:59:13 pm »
 ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1737 on: 29 September, 2021, 07:10:44 pm »
Tonight could be the night that the 'Shall I deploy the winter quilt?' decision could be made.

« Reply #1738 on: 29 September, 2021, 10:52:43 pm »
Tonight could be the night that the 'Shall I deploy the winter quilt?' decision could be made.
The decision was made.

« Reply #1739 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:27:51 am »
MrsC has decreed that the winter weight quilt will be in use from the next time the beds are changed.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #1740 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:32:07 am »
Yesterday evening I had a swim in the sea before going home to consume a quantity of beef stew with dumplings I had had the foresight to prepare and leave gently glugging away for about 5 hours.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #1741 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:51:31 am »
3.7°C on the outside thermometer this morning. Max forecast 14°C.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #1742 on: 30 September, 2021, 01:39:38 pm »
It's been hooching down all week so United Utilities warn that reservoirs are low....

"Despite the recent rain, water levels in the reservoirs which supply much of the water in your area have fallen by nearly 2.5% over the past week. Please help us by doing all you can to save or re-use water right now.
As a result of one of the driest 6 months on record, Lake District reservoirs, such as Haweswater and Thirlmere are now extremely low. As of this week, they are only 34% full, we’d usually expect levels to be around 70% in September. You can see the levels of the reservoirs here."
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1743 on: 30 September, 2021, 02:18:09 pm »
Ah sod it. I’m going to go and put some trousers on. Well, jeans actually.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #1744 on: 30 September, 2021, 02:30:44 pm »
Ah sod it. I’m going to go and put some trousers on. Well, jeans actually.

I've been in long trousers since last week...  but I'm still in sandals.   :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #1745 on: 30 September, 2021, 06:01:53 pm »
I'm still in shorts.
Was right up to Xmas eve last year.
Going to attempt or better the same.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #1746 on: 30 September, 2021, 07:53:21 pm »
MrsC has decreed that the winter weight quilt will be in use from the next time the beds are changed.

Mrs ED is using a duvet, I'm still under a sheet
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Seen on FB. I give no opinion on its authenticity.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The outside temperature today reached 16°C at 9pm - the highest it had been all day. It reminded me rather of the night before Michael Fysh's 1987 "hurricane".

Beardy

• Shedist
The wind blew my ladder over. I’d left it up because I’m hopping for Bette weather over the coming days to finish my painting. I’ve not picked it up again!