Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 291402 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Dreich  :hand:

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
And pea souper
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Dreich here too, although lacking the granite of furryboottoon it never looks quite as depressing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Even more pea soup today :(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
Utterly glorious here on the not windy west coast of Lewis might have to find my short and t-shirt, but don't want to jinx it
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Utterly glorious here on the not windy west coast of Lewis might have to find my short and t-shirt, but don't want to jinx it

Git!
We are in a wet & muddy field as is traditional for a bank holiday weekend.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
I took Friday off and today was a holiday. Just now is the first time I've seen blue sky during this long weekend  :(

Clare

• Is in NZ
It is monumentally pissing down here, has been all morning. This could well be another record breaking day. We now have a moated shed and garage and there's a whirlpool at our end of the street.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's currently warmer outdoors, by a degree or so, than it is indoors.

Yes, we noticed that this morning. That's the trouble with old stone houses.
It's the norm here from about April to September.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Brother David told me yesterday that the heavy shower that demonstrated the ineffectiveness of his Goretex jacket also broke the record for the wettest spring. That was 2008, with 222.6mm in March, April & May. Still almost 3 weeks of May to go...

I sent him a link to the Paramo website.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
The BBC, Apple Weather and the Met Office all promised wall-to-wall sunshine and 19-20C today. Instead, it's been overcast and a max so far of 13.2C. Bah!

Sun has been shining since 10am up in the hills. Cold wind, mind.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Sun, Sun, Sun. 100% deep blue sky all day and 21 degrees.
I'm going to have to undo the top button of my big coat if this carries on.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Wot TimC said.  I was contemplating massacring some greenery today too >:(
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Sunny days at this time of year - frost tonight I reckon

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Wot TimC said.  I was contemplating massacring some greenery today too >:(
E14 was not the promised land of sunshine today, been looking enviously at Audax photos from "up north".

Fortunately the South and East seem to be benefitting from some sunshine and warmth today.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Fortunately the South and East seem to be benefitting from some sunshine and warmth today.

So that's where it went.   >:(
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper

Not here. 12.8°C at present in Saarfend. It occurred to me as I was cycling in my windproof and thermal gloves to my pal Pen’s house this morning that this is the Year of the Permanent January.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
It actually feels quite warm here today, but it's raining.

TimC

Not here. 12.8°C at present in Saarfend. It occurred to me as I was cycling in my windproof and thermal gloves to my pal Pen’s house this morning that this is the Year of the Permanent January.

Not here either. As the BBC was saying it was 15C and sunny in my location (and now forecasting 19C - down from the 22C they forecast for today in yesterday's forecast) , Wattisham airfield (3 miles away) was reporting 9C, mist and 400ft overcast. Apple weather says its 13C and cloudy, max 17C for the day, Weather Plus says it's 8C, overcast and max 13C for the day - and that it may rain around 3-4pm. Meteo (who provide the BBC's weather services) frankly are bloody useless.

Edit: to expand on the uselessness of Meteo. At this time of year, high pressure and a northerly airflow of 17-20Kmh will always produce persistent low cloud over East Anglia - maybe as far as 60-70 miles from the north coast. Combine that with clear skies inland, which cause convective airflows to develop which in turn induce onshore breezes, and you start to get a north-easterly flow (further diverging from the gradient wind) which brings the low cloud inland on the east-facing coasts as well. All this is utterly predictable and should have been forecast. Today, the northerly flow is much less energetic but the inland heating is even stronger, so the induced easterly wind will be more prominent. That means central East Anglia may eventually clear and enjoy temperatures in the mid to high teens, but coastal areas will probably remain cloudy until late in the day. Basic meteorology, which Meteo's computers seem to have not been equipped with.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
Suddenly got the big warm up around 10.30 in E14 so much that our enclosed south facing garden feels hot. And a bonus 12kwh generation so far so time to put the washing on!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
The sun emerged from its hiding place this afternoon and according to my device the temperature rose to 20.6°C at about 4.30pm.

TimC

The sun emerged from its hiding place this afternoon and according to my device the temperature rose to 20.6°C at about 4.30pm.

Gosh. We got the sun about 3pm, and it felt very pleasant but the warmest we got was 17.4C. But we still had a significant north-easterly for the rest of the afternoon. But it was just a teaser; we're promised a max of 12C tomorrow - which, if current records are an indicator, suggests we're unlikely to get into double figures!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper