Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 291261 times)

Persistent Drizzle Doris, more like...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
NW3 Weather is 10km south-east of my abode.
Equipment we have recently purchased has shown close concordance between their observations and ours: Hampstead seems 0.5C warmer and relative humidity there is usually within 1-2% of ours, though there seems to be a lag on our kit.
Graphs show a very rapid drop in Hampstead's humidity today but RH here is 73% and 55% there.
20% disparity seem a lot...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Very windy night, but it's completely still now. 10cm of snow expected tonight and the temperature is forecast to dip to -10ºC.

Guy

• Retired
We've just "enjoyed" a gust which hit 61.3mph

<edit @ 12:54pm> Cow-orker is browsing the local Facething site and tells me a tree has blown down, just around the corner from Castle Guy
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
definitely windy here, maybe the tree I wasn't allowed to take out will get blown down?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
This is informative:

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-50.75,69.24,678

I reckon that the gusts occur when turbulence brings higher-level wind down to the surface. Max we're in for is 80 kph.

Anent trees, I'm glad we got rid of our cherry tree, which was taller than the house.  It stood a few hard blows but it's a great relief not to be wondering if the next one will be it.

Missus was looking at cherry trees today - nice little ones that won't be a problem in my lifetime.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Pretty bad here. Local roads and railways either shut or disrupted though at least the rain has stopped.

The port of Liverpool has closed due to 100 mph gusts although the Stena ferry to Belfast made it out and according to AIS is making slow progress accross the Irish sea. Bet the passengers aren't happy bunnies at the moment.
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

Wow, just had an alert saying the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge has closed - it must be bad.

;)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Son reckons it's bad in Brum.   Twitter feed swamped by Birmingham Updates reporting trees down all over, bits of buildings blowing down.
Sadly, a woman killed in Wolverhampton.

I'm going to assume Kim,  Natalia, Nikki et al are all safely not on Bikes and at home.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
It's so still, it's even put a downer on all the small town garden flag flying.

A limp vimple, is not a happy vimple.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Son reckons it's bad in Brum.   Twitter feed swamped by Birmingham Updates reporting trees down all over, bits of buildings blowing down.
Sadly, a woman killed in Wolverhampton.

I'm going to assume Kim,  Natalia, Nikki et al are all safely not on Bikes and at home.

It's making a lot of noise, and some of the wheely bins have escaped.  (Pursued just now by a riot police van.)  More sirens on the Bristol Road than usual.

UPS went to battery earlier, but it was a momentary glitch.

Indoor wind-chill factor is suboptimally high.

If I had to cycle anywhere I'd use the trike.  Currently glad that I don't.  Staying at home and watching @bhamupdates report the chaos.

Nikki was last seen banging rocks, so hopefully has plenty of ballast.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
It's amazing this is happening today. Usually the big spring storm happens on the day of either the Flapjack or Ball Buster audaxes. I didn't enter the first this year, but there's still time for the second.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
NW3 Weather now reporting relative humidity of 48%, which seems very low.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Fired up wood burner no.2 in preparation for a chilly evening.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Just retrieved our compost bin from far corner of garden and stashed it in the barn.

Just for fun we took a walk round the village. The racket in the stand of spruce up by the cemetery was impressive.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

It's been a tad windy in Liverpool.   One of the flats across the way left a window open, I'm quite surprised it's not been torn out of the frame!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I had two windows open earlier cos it was kind of muggy. Both closed now. Clearly the focus of this wind is further north.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
The snow has started.

Daughter has phoned to say our fence is down, and neighbour's shed roof is off.  Apparently it was fallen fence carnage on her walk back from school.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Very gusty here today; I've been staying indoors other than to inspect the fence panel that blew out (I reckon it'll pop back...)

OH looked at the weather this morning and chose taxi over bus or bike.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
A friend's window got ripped out of its frame (from closed I think) in Sarf London. She's having to tie remaining windows in with string to stop them going too.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Calm now but earlier this afternoon next door's garden gate was banging away like Melania Trump and a pilates instructor
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Train journey home from kent was rather slower than expected. Two trees on the line, in Maidstone and near West Malling. The first needed a chainsaw gang, the second required a power out to allow the driver onto the track to shift it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
You know that phrase "4 seasons in 1 day..."

Well I got soaked leaving the house this morning ... got dried out by the wind before arrival ... Then averaged 8mph all the (flat) way home (with about 12'c temp)

... and now the council say they will be gritting tonight!!!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles