Author Topic: A random thread for weatherish things that don't warrant a thread of their own.  (Read 292148 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Weather, if you would be kind enough to decide what you're going to do that'd be just peachy.  Because I'm not going to play “replace the front door” if you’re going to rain on me, am I?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
Mid-afternoon.  Mid-August.  In a room with a west-facing window.  I've got the light on >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Same, but that's because barakta is a troglodyte.

What's notable is that the window is closed (ventilation, for the prevention of), and that I'm sitting here adding bugs to computer programs, rather than riding a bicycle or whatever.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Melting. Not even left for France yet.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
And from what them Pingus have recently posted in Mr Zuckerberg's Walled Garden, they’re going to be melting2 in the next day or two.  Meanwhile it’s forecast to be 38 C in Chicago on Thursday, which is when I get there.  In mid-afternoon.  Deep joy.

Beardy

• Shedist
I went into the garden after lunch to cut the grass and generally potter about.  I couldn’t get the lawn mower to start, so wandered about with the pruning saw to cut down some overhanging branches. I lasted about 45 minutes. It’s just too damn hot to be out there  :-[
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
We walked to the local Aldi last night for supplies, there was a whole family out in their front garden/allotment, digging in this heat. Feck that for a game of soldiers, I thought.

Pingu burned his bare feet hanging out some washing on the balcony this arvo. 52C according to his bike pooter.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
It's so hot I decided we should have rosè with our pizza tonight, instead of red (the bistro does not have any biere worth drinking, sod off with your Heineken). That never happens.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Red warnings of canicules here tomorrow 🔥

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather

Looking SW across the Thames and Southend Pier towards Kent.

I got caught in that a few minutes later.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
About 4pm the sky clouded over and some of those mammatus clouds appeared. 'Great! It's going to pish with rain and then it won't be 35C anymore', I thought.
Nah, it's all gone away now without doing anything.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Said hot mammatus action:

IMG_5288_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Summer ended yesterday afternoon with the traditional mum & dad of a thunderstorm. Temperature dropped 6° in half an hour. Ran round opening all the windows to get some cool air into the house then went round again closing them shortly after as the wind got up and started blowing twigs off our willow.  Dark as the inside of a cow, too.

Don't think it's stopped raining since, and we just had another dose of donner & blitzen with a side of deluge.

Rats. I want my canicule back.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
We just had a whopper of a storm. Really glad I worked from home today and didn’t cycle in else my return journey would have been in a velomobile bathtub.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
Plateau d'hautville seems to be escaping all the storms so far. Today we drove over the hill to ride up the Grand Colombier and it was cooler (yay!), it rained lightly some of the way up (I was in heaven) and 2 km from the summit a very Scottish chilly stiff breeze appeared. 1km later the sun came out.
Forecast is still claiming thunderstorms for here later, we will see.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Plateau d'hautville seems to be escaping all the storms so far...

There was a good lightning show tonight.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
BBC's forecast for today was 30 Celsius.  It hit 40.  It's still 38 at 7 pm.  I'm hugging the aircon unit.

Edit: Just after 8 am, it's pissing down and thundering.  If this scuppers my plan to go up the Gateway Arch in St Louis in a couple of hours I shall be Displeased.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
We've just had about 15 minutes of rain so heavy I failed to hear the rice boiling over ( :facepalm:). Now it's stopped raining and we've got thunder with sunshine.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Why is it so cold? It’s August ffs.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Why is it so cold? It’s August ffs.

See also:  June, July

Well after 2 days in which there were short but monsoon like thundershowers, today is dry, but definitely autumnal, with a high of 17C being forecast. Definitely back to school weather.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Beardy

• Shedist
And the rain is coming down.

Lots of it.

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Watching the BBC weather, I was surprised to be told that this year’s summer is not actually cooler than average and that only 2015 has broken the trend of hotter than average summers.

This article spells out the problems we face and our lack of preparedness. We have to assume now that there’s no realistic prospect of concerted action to prevent climate change; we leaders we choose have no such intentions.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Watching the BBC weather, I was surprised to be told that this year’s summer is not actually cooler than average and that only 2015 has broken the trend of hotter than average summers.

This article spells out the problems we face and our lack of preparedness. We have to assume now that there’s no realistic prospect of concerted action to prevent climate change; we leaders we choose have no such intentions.

We don't choose our leaders: the real ones in charge are unscrupulous characters who carved their ways up to lead global corporations. They tell the patsies we get to elect what to do.  Slight difference in the case of Russia, China, Norks etc but they're playing from essentially the same score.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
The Weather Channel are extracting hours of fun from Hurricane Idalia's impending waste-laying of Florida.  My chum Nik lives pretty much where it’s supposed to make landfall but
  • he lives in his van, and
  • he's currently in Oklahoma City