Author Topic: Winter tights  (Read 4474 times)

Audax Monster

• Are you local???
Winter tights
« on: December 08, 2014, 05:31:25 pm »
Just wondering if any of you folks out there can recommend what are the warmest tights for winter riding?  They will probably have to be windstopper and thick fabric as well as I feel the cold a lot these days.

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: Winter tights
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 05:56:42 pm »
Just wondering if any of you folks out there can recommend what are the warmest tights for winter riding?  They will probably have to be windstopper and thick fabric as well as I feel the cold a lot these days.
Endura Stealth tights every time.
For the below zero freezers, I wear legwarmers underneath.
Don't forget the overshoes....
Pieter

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:12:10 pm »
I've never felt the need to use anything more than a single layer of Roubaix weight tights. And that's in some properly cold, properly Northern weather. Would imagine anything Super Roubaix would be enough?

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 06:42:52 pm »
For really cold days, normal cycling shorts + merino long johns + unpadded roubaix tights.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 08:33:30 pm »
Just replaced my old Assos winter longs with a new pair.
They have a ludicrous name:  LL.bonka.6

These are fine down to minus 2 or 3 or so.
Below that, I have a pair of Endura fleece-lined bibs that go over the top of them.
That's good down to minus 10 or so, I've only had a couple of outings at that temperature.  I've not been out in colder than that.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 08:48:41 pm »
Try Wiggle's dhb Vaeon Zero Padded Bib Tight

£79.99.  That's a good price for Bib Longs anyway.  Thermo Roubaix plus windproofing
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »
My Campagnolo windstopper roubaix winter tights are gorgeously warm, I've had them for years.
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 09:07:20 pm »
Warmest I have are some 'Shimano' branded longs. I add some Tenn unpadded tights over the top if it's really cold.

I think cutting the wind out helps a lot though, as I do a quite a lot of winter cycling in normal cycling shorts and knee warmers covered by 3/4 Humvees.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 10:08:13 pm »
Buy an indoor trainer and watch a good film!

Far cheaper than cycling outdoors in winter and cheaper than winter tights!

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:27:51 pm »
Try Wiggle's dhb Vaeon Zero Padded Bib Tight

£79.99.  That's a good price for Bib Longs anyway.  Thermo Roubaix plus windproofing

I've got a couple of these, very warm, nice fit and have lasted well. Sometimes can be too warm but nothing else is needed over them in minus temps.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

mattc

• "Hannibal"
  • n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:39 pm »
Lusso (the unwanted child of British clothing makers - almost never reviewed by the press in the 20 years I've been using their stuff!)
From £40-ish:
http://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-super-roubaix-tights-59072.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Cycling+Pants+and+Tights&ucpo=6809&gclid=CK_Lm8a4ucICFY_MtAodOiUASg
(bit more if you want bibs)

I'd need a LOT of convincing to spend #80 or more on tights.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 05:15:38 pm »
I bought the Perl Izumi Amfib direct from PI.

http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/product/men-s-elite-amfib-cyc-bib-tight-var11111233/PZ11111233027L

Looking now PI don't appear to sell ladies bib tights but I see they have similar to what I bought last year, but in the ladies section:

http://www.pearlizumi.co.uk/product/women-s-ultra-windblocking-tight-var12211213/PZ12211213021L

These have a slightly thinner fleecy inner than the Amfib and the front outer panel you see in the image is a water repelent material with fleece inner. The sides are permiable to allow persperation, and air flow when its not as cold.

I also have a pair of Castelli leg warmers:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-thermoflex-leg-warmer/

Which are very toasty and can be put on over the bib tights to add warmth if needed. TBH I prefer lots of thin layers over one very thick layer as they can be adjusted as the temps vary, and mean you do not have a seperate pair of legging for each temperature range, you just add more or remove some when needed.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2014, 09:19:04 am »
Lusso (the unwanted child of British clothing makers - almost never reviewed by the press in the 20 years I've been using their stuff!)
From #4-ish:
http://www.merlincycles.com/lusso-super-roubaix-tights-59072.html?utm_campaign=googlebase-GB&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=shopping&utm_term=Cycling+Pants+and+Tights&ucpo=6809&gclid=CK_Lm8a4ucICFY_MtAodOiUASg
(bit more if you want bibs)

I'd need a LOT of convincing to spend #80 or more on tights.

Another vote for the Lusso's. Great value for money.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2014, 10:39:31 am »
Cheap option 300 denier extra warm fleece lined thermal tight
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-pack-ladies-300-denier-extra-warm-fleece-lined-thermal-tights-black-/251658853734?pt=UK_Hosiery_Socks&var=&hash=item3a98095d66
and lycra running tights over them warm are toast

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2014, 12:19:13 pm »
I also feel the cold these days but thank god for my Assos 851 bibtights.  Nothing else comes close to their warmth and I dont wear anything else in the Winter!

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2014, 01:39:27 pm »
I have some Altura ones with fleece stuff inside them. I feel the cold but these are fine, and were quite cheap - maybe 35 quid? They were a revelation after riding in 'fashion' style leggings - so warm!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

AAO

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2014, 11:47:43 pm »
Aldi Winter Tights work for me down to zero and even a little lower.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2014, 01:02:16 am »
Mrs B is currently in love with her new(ish) warm & very wind-resistant £13.99 Aldi winter tights.  Enthuses about their superiority to her old (& far more expensive) Alturas. But unfortunately they're no longer on sale. Next year . . . .

My old Lusso Max Repels are pretty warm in most conditions, but unpadded, so I need padded underwear or shorts under them. My Aldis (last year's model @ ca £16 IIRC - Mrs B's are this year's) are better at keeping out winds & showers, but less well insulated at the front where the wind-resistant fabric is. With something insulating underneath (e.g. Aldi so-called compression shorts, which are actually decent insulation for their modest thickness, or more serious underwear when it gets really cold) the superior windproofing of the dirt-cheap Aldi tights beats the Lussos at sub-zero temperatures. Nul points for style, but when it's a question of freezing inner thighs & genitals or looking stylish, I no longer go for looking cool.

Wore the Aldis tonight. 5c or less in the countryside, brisk breeze which we were cycling into for quite a while. Was a bit too warm, if anything. Mrs B (tonight's Reading CTC ride leader) ditto, & she grew up in a hotter climate & tends not to complain about overheating.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 04:41:14 pm »
Adli stuff does the job just fine for my needs............. their Bib Tights seem very warm indeed.

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 08:14:38 pm »
I have endura Roubaix leg warmers and they are very warm, so I would recommend their tights

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:19 pm »
I like my Endura tights too, though they could do with being a tad longer.

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 03:03:08 pm »
I like my Endura tights too, though they could do with being a tad longer.

Nooo!  They're the ones that come in lardarse sizes without being too long in the leg!
Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:51 am »
Recently bought...Lusso Max Repel Bib Tights with Insert. (Now £85 but mine were cheaper)

http://www.lusso-clothing.co.uk/epages/BT14451.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT14451/Products/LUSRBI001/SubProducts/LUSRBI001-0001

Great value as is all Lusso stuff.
Warm and toasty and in light rain they do not soak up the rain. It sort of sits on the surface in pretty little droplet patterns.

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2015, 10:36:13 am »
Tudor Sports TS107 “YORK” TIGHTS. http://www.tudorsports.co.uk/tudor-sports-products.html

I only use mine in the coldest of weather as they can get hot when the temperature increases.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2015, 11:00:41 am »
Tudor Sports TS107 “YORK” TIGHTS. http://www.tudorsports.co.uk/tudor-sports-products.html

I only use mine in the coldest of weather as they can get hot when the temperature increases.

I'm looking at a new pair to replace my now well worn and zip broken Lusso Max Repel bibs. Been excellent BTW and have been in service for around 8 years. Love them but fancy something a bit different. like the look of the Tudor's but would I need braces to go with to stop them riding down?