Author Topic: Z3 Compact Handlebar Mount  (Read 1130 times)

Z3 Compact Handlebar Mount
« on: 01 January, 2015, 07:13:28 pm »
Phone is fully waterproof so does not need to be in a 'bag'. Anyone recommend a secure mount? Preferably that leaves mini-USB port open for charging.

Re: Z3 Compact Handlebar Mount
« Reply #1 on: 02 January, 2015, 07:34:09 am »
I use this type of holder/quick release for my Sony Xperia Z ultra. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dedicated-Quick-Fix-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle-Handlebar-Phone-Mount-for-Sony-XPERIA-Z-/121090454784?pt=UK_Holders_Mounts&hash=item1c318db500

I've used it for over a year and had no problems with the security of the phone whilst cycling, and that includes a couple of rough off road rides.

The phone is held at two corners and one edge.  It clips out of the holder very quickly so the phone is easy to remove from the bike.

I found I needed to modify the holder slightly as it is spring loaded to allow rotation of the phone to landscape or portrait.  This meant the holder rattled quite a bit.  I just put a screw through the phone holder.  This is not a problem as there is a slight recess where the phone holder clips onto the mount.

I bought mine from Hong Kong/China for £5.  They seem to be a bit pricier now.

The phone holder has a standard fitting so you may find it cheaper to buy a quick release and car vent holder and then assemble your own bike mount.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.