Author Topic: [HAMR] Visualizing the OYTT  (Read 169026 times)

Re: Visualizing the OYTT
« Reply #1025 on: January 06, 2016, 08:41:48 am »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

« Reply #1026 on: January 06, 2016, 08:51:39 am »
Someone, somewhere in the hundreds of posts that have been made on the OYTT in the last few days asked for a graphic of Steve's day and night riding. Here's Steve movement chart (top row Jan 1st 2015, bottom row Jan 4th 2016; time from midnight to midnight left to right; red=movement; moving speed on right) with hours of darkness shown. These are approximate as they are based on twilight in Milton Keynes (is there any other kind?):
;D that is rather fabulous.  I'm sure it wouldn't take too many more hundreds of hours of your hard work to display the hours of darkness appropriate to his location  ;) 

red marley

« Reply #1027 on: January 06, 2016, 09:04:21 am »
I did consider incorporating location specific sunrise/sunset data into that visualization (which I had done anyway for this), but the effect is only to change times by a few minutes within the typical ranges he is cycling. Given that twilight and weather means that in terms of road visibility light/dark probably has a precision of half an hour or so, it didn't really seem worth it.

« Reply #1028 on: January 06, 2016, 09:38:48 am »
One thing that immediately stuck me when looking at the "day and night riding" graphic: the moped accident seems to have had a noticeable effect on the consistency of Steve's morning routine. Before the accident he was pretty regular about starting between 5 and 6am, but but he has never managed to get back into that regular habit post-accident.

I think when steve was suffering excessive tiredness around about June ish he took to waking up when he did and starting between 9 and 10 am.  In this respect he only has one rush hour to cope with but of course more riding in the dark

red marley

« Reply #1029 on: January 06, 2016, 09:48:47 am »
Day 361 / 151 / 5: Kurt celebrates his record breaking achievement by "only" riding 168 miles around Flatwood. He is currently pushing the world record to 75,290 miles with four days to go. Steve rides back south from his stay in East Yorkshire clocking up 195 miles. Kajsa rides from Newark towards Peterborough but a puncture and dark winter weather keeps her distance to exactly one 'Dovey' (81 miles). Bruce takes a break from the hills and sticks to repeats along the coast around Adelaide 218 miles taking him to 32 miles above the Godwin line in only 5 days.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #1030 on: January 06, 2016, 07:20:25 pm »

That's quite interesting.

Seems to me that quality of sleep is vitally important, and if Steve's natural sleep phase lags daylight, then perhaps there's more benefit to going with the flow rather than making the most of the available daylight.  We know he isn't afraid of riding in the dark.

Alternatively, by starting later he's simply avoiding the morning commuter traffic.  I don't know his usual roads out of MK very well, but the effect on speed could be substantial.

Might also be a reasonable approach to avoid ice.  If there was any ice.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #1031 on: January 06, 2016, 09:51:28 pm »

That's quite interesting.

Seems to me that quality of sleep is vitally important, and if Steve's natural sleep phase lags daylight, then perhaps there's more benefit to going with the flow rather than making the most of the available daylight.  We know he isn't afraid of riding in the dark.

Alternatively, by starting later he's simply avoiding the morning commuter traffic.  I don't know his usual roads out of MK very well, but the effect on speed could be substantial.

Might also be a reasonable approach to avoid ice.  If there was any ice.

Plus avoiding the coldest period of the day. Usually the period of the day when you have to change clothes often is during the first two hours after sunrise. After that temperatures tend to be more stable. So if you evade part of this timeperiod your moving time will be higher.

« Reply #1032 on: January 07, 2016, 08:49:23 am »

Yes, but probably not in a good way!  Passing traffic on the network of dual carriageways which make up Milton Keynes would give him an extra 1-2mph of speed.  Of course any inpenetrable hold-ups would offset that.

« Reply #1033 on: January 07, 2016, 10:14:05 am »
IMO, a 6 am start would have got him out into the countryside before the morning traffic started.
Also in my opinion, 10 am traffic is worse than 6 am traffic.

When I rode midweek 200 DIYs, I got my start proof at an ATM at 06:00.
When I rode 300 Midmesh, I got my start proof at he same ATM at 05:00.

red marley

« Reply #1034 on: January 07, 2016, 10:58:49 am »
Day 362 / 152 / 6: After a couple of farewell laps of Flatwoods Park, Kurt heads south ending his day in Naples and with another 166 miles added to the record (now standing at 75,446 miles). Steve spends the day riding round and round and round and round the Milton Keynes Bowl for 157 miles. Kajsa also rides a loop, but just the one, circumnavigating Peterborough for 94 miles. Bruce does another 212 miles with a couple of large climbs and plenty of headwind.

red marley

« Reply #1035 on: January 07, 2016, 07:07:23 pm »
I've added a few new enhancements to the OYTT visualizer at http://gicentre.org/oytt

• Kajsa's and Bruce's progress can now be plotted.
  • Billie Dovey's (Flemming) progress through the year can now also be plotted.
  • Rather than only scale progress relative to Tommy Godwin's total, you can now choose between five different targets ranging from Billie Dovey's 81 mpd right up to an ambitious 80,000 miles (219 mpd). These are selectable from the bottom row of buttons. The 'Kurt Searvogel' button will scale to whatever his current total is until his final WR total on January 9th is confirmed.

Here's an example showing Kajsa's progress so far in comparison to the 'Dovey line':

« Reply #1036 on: January 07, 2016, 07:10:03 pm »
Sheer brilliance, thanks!

« Reply #1037 on: January 07, 2016, 08:49:19 pm »
Thanks Jo,   Easy to use, easy to understand.

Superb work

red marley

« Reply #1038 on: January 07, 2016, 10:49:28 pm »

« Reply #1039 on: January 08, 2016, 12:51:58 am »
Sheer brilliance, thanks!

Plus one

« Reply #1040 on: January 08, 2016, 07:29:01 am »
Don't know how you do this Jo, but brilliant work.  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #1041 on: January 08, 2016, 08:38:50 am »
That bottom one would make a great poster.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

« Reply #1042 on: January 08, 2016, 11:26:37 am »
I can see why Steve says he misses riding in Wales.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #1043 on: January 08, 2016, 11:42:25 am »
The saddest bit is the thread down on the bottom left, to Exeter.  On the way back, the brightness decreases where the moped struck.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • 3x Brimstone ancien 3x Pendle/Tan Hill DNF
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #1044 on: January 08, 2016, 01:02:25 pm »
I can see why Steve says he misses riding in Wales.

It's time to make a special offer - Lifetime free entry to Cambrian Series Permanents to riders who have a verified mileage of more than 60,000 in one calendary year.  (Whilst I'm still the organiser) - Go Steve!
Eddington Numbers 125 (imperial), 168 (metric) 518 (furlongs)  111 (nautical miles)

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #1045 on: January 08, 2016, 01:23:20 pm »
Great stuff, Jo.

Readers of this forum are exceedingly fortunate to have the benefit of all your hard work.
Embrace your inner Fred.

αdαmsκι

• Twitter @Dr_AAY Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1046 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:50 pm »
It's time to make a special offer - Lifetime free entry to Cambrian Series Permanents to riders who have a verified mileage of more than 60,000 in one calendary year.  (Whilst I'm still the organiser) - Go Steve!

Why not give Jo a perm entry considering all the work he's done visualling the oytt. I'm sure he'd enjoy the 8A :demon:.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #1047 on: January 08, 2016, 04:22:12 pm »

Why not give Jo a perm entry considering all the work he's done visualling the oytt. I'm sure he'd enjoy the 8A :demon:.

Jo can have a free entry to any of the Tamworth events as a very small reward for all the work done.

Thank you very much Jo

Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #1048 on: January 08, 2016, 05:54:10 pm »
"Freeman of the village of Marsh Gibbon."

red marley

« Reply #1049 on: January 09, 2016, 02:11:39 pm »
Day 363 / 153 / 7: A week in for the two new challengers and only two more days left for Kurt. He continues to ride south onto the Florida Keys to finish his day with 183 miles more on the WR. Steve rides up to the Norfolk coast with the benefit of a tailwind eventually getting to Great Yarmouth with exactly 200 miles on the clock. Kajsa also rides east with the tailwind until changing heading into the fens makes the cross wind too hazardous to carry on much further. Her 60 mile day still leaves her 70 miles above the Dovey line. On the other side of the world Bruce also battles with headwinds on his 210 miles of circuits around Adelaide.