Author Topic: Yet Another Cambium Foray  (Read 2608 times)

Re: Yet Another Cambium Foray
« Reply #25 on: 20 April, 2015, 06:30:09 pm »
moving aside from delights of colouring your saddle  ;D can you C17 users shed light on the relative dimensions cf a B17? Specifically the amount of rail setback you can get ?

Reason enquire is I successfully and happily use a (black) B17 on a 72deg seattube bike with a VO GC seatpost 30mm offset---but to avoid sitting on back cantle plate I do need to push saddle all way back until bend section is reached on rails. I`d like use a similar on a 73deg seattube bike but calcs show it would be 1cm too forwards. So if C17 had longer rails may be an option ?

One other query---I`ve noted comments about the textured surface possibly chafing cycle shorts fabric, any issues there?
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #26 on: 20 April, 2015, 06:48:41 pm »
So, lots of posts on colour and changing it etc, but little comment on comfort.  I'm not a Brookes leather saddle user and would welcome any comments on the comfort of these saddles.

I currently ride a Fizik Arione.

« Reply #27 on: 20 April, 2015, 06:50:56 pm »
So, lots of posts on colour and changing it etc, but little comment on comfort.

first post, first line

we've already done posts on comfort etc, I was enquiring about colours, hence the colouring of saddles :P
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #28 on: 22 April, 2015, 08:31:06 am »
My LBS (Windmill Wheels) has try before you buy on Cambium - collecting re-built bike later today and going to try Cambium (am long term - 20 years - Flite user) - will let you know my views on comfort etc. Alas my views on the merits of the colour of anything are not worth listening to (per her indoors).
Old fat and slow

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 23 April, 2015, 08:36:14 am »
Your wish is my command Mr Veloman.

A short review of the C17

I've got a C17 on my Cannondale and used it on a back to back 400 and 300 over the weekend of The Elenydd.

I've been using the saddle since December on AAA rides up to and including 200km. At first it seemed quite hard, but I got used to it after a while and it was much more comfortable than the stock Cannondale saddle, but you would expect that from a £115 saddle.

It's fairly springy and I can feel it flex when I go over bumps, so it's doing its job in removing shock from the road, but I can't decide if its comfortable or not. I got a bit of chafing where my sit bones are after the 700km weekend, although I had done a 300 two days before that as well and I felt quite sore in the general arse region.

This is something I don't seem to suffer from on the Concor Super Corsa saddles I have, but the Cannondale has a more upright geometry than the De Rosa, so I'd have to do a saddle swap to tell.

I have bought a carved C17 to see if its even better at shock absorbing and it should be a bit more flexible, as it's less rigid due to the cut out.

As for wearing shorts away, I haven't noticed any signs of that after 3000km.

Build quality is good and the rear bridge casting looks very nice, but the faux rivets fell out of mine and have been replaced by Brooks immediately.

It won't melt in the rain like a leather saddle and it will never mould to your arse shape, or get any softer.....ever.

Conclusion.

The jury's still out whether it's the most comfortable saddle ever or the most uncomfortable piece of rubber I've ever had the misfortune to perch on.

I won't be using it for PBP, but I'll use it on The BCM, so that'll give it a good testing on day 2 around those skoggy, shite lanes. So OK for a AAA 600, but no further.

finch

• Hair today gone tomorrow
    • Comicpictures
« Reply #30 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:10:51 am »
It worked  ;D pics to follow

As for comfort , its maybe not the softest or most flexible saddle out there but after an initial period getting used to it and getting the angle right for my bottom I tend not to notice it and that's probably one of the best things you can say about a saddle . Agree that you can feel it flexing and that also seems like a plus

Very nice looking too even on a very modern looking bike

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #31 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:19:26 am »

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #32 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:20:01 am »
This was a natural yesterday  ;D

« Reply #33 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

has it dyed the rubber too? mine didn't :(
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #34 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:52:44 am »
looks a lot better black!

I'm off to buy some dye and stop looking at th super expensive cambium bar tape!

finch

• Comicpictures
« Reply #35 on: 23 April, 2015, 12:37:40 pm »
There was a slight darkening but not really , it did leave the metal looking kind of bronze but that rubs off so I'm obviously super pleased with the results , my slate one that I did with the shoe polisher has went all shiny and smooth so I'm not going to bother with that one.

Chuffed  :smug:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #36 on: 23 April, 2015, 05:28:38 pm »
Hmm - I might try the Dylon thing on my slate Cambium - I had a black B17 on the Van Nic Ti machine and then fitted a Cambium - comfortable from the off but detracts from the look of the machine.

... one thing about the Cambium - whilst fettling a rack onto the Yukon today out in the sunshine in front of my garage there was a smell of warm rubber .... seemingly no harm to the saddle but certainly quite pungent.

Rob