Author Topic: non specific - can't even think of a title  (Read 880 times)

non specific - can't even think of a title
« on: March 04, 2015, 03:54:51 pm »
Last year my cat died. I think I put it in the bad news thread and discussed getting a dog

I'm really not over it, because it is my fault. The house we bought has a huge pond that we are trying to get rid of. I pumped it out - but rainwater kept building up. I put a board in it in case animals fell in. Made attempts to create a permanent drain.

Anyway, I got lazy, stopped checking and clearing it. So there was a foot or so of water in it, Sinbad fell in, the board had fallen in  and there was a shitty cheap football kicked in from over the fence. He'd obviously been trying to climb on to it, was still in swimming position when I found him the next day. I think he succumbed to hypothermia. If the fucking ball hadn't been there he might have found the rope and climbed out.
The last weekend I've been tackling the pond again, doing what I should have done last year. Progress is good. It makes me feel worse; if I'd done this last year Sinbad wouldn't have died.

Family doesn't want a dog. I guess they might allow a cat. I have a birthday coming up, so I looked at the Cat's protection league site. The descriptions are creative:
Dougal’s as soft as he’s big and wants to share the love with you.

I reckon I am an expert in cat language. What Dougal is really saying is:
Point that camera at me again and I'll have your arm off at the elbow, now sod off out of my cage.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: non specific - can't even think of a title
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 04:01:04 pm »
Spot on! :)

Get another cat, you won't regret it. You'll, obviously, never forget Sinbad but the new cat will help fill a little bit of the hole.

If you are in any doubt, go and visit CPL @ Topcliffe, we did, just to see if we really wanted another cat and we ended up with 2!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 04:08:44 pm »
My sister is trying to drag me to the local CPL with the intent of my getting a cat.

I am resisting as whist I have grown up with cats and live with them all the time except uni I don't know if I will be sent away mon-fri for work at any time.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 04:30:46 pm »
My sister is trying to drag me to the local CPL with the intent of my getting a cat.

I am resisting as whist I have grown up with cats and live with them all the time except uni I don't know if I will be sent away mon-fri for work at any time.
Doesn't sound practical for you to have a pet. Unless it is a rock.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

T42

• Old fool in a hurry
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 04:35:45 pm »
Allergic to cats but can sympathize as we've had a series of dogs over the last 25 years and it's a wrench every time one of them dies.

Certainly, get another PDQ.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:12:41 pm »

Doesn't sound practical for you to have a pet. Unless it is a rock.
My sister walks past my house on her way to and from work. If I went away she would happily feed it.

I think she just wants another cat but can't get it past her husband.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2015, 06:55:34 pm »
mrcharly, from our experience of losing Mojo & Pippin this last year I can tell you that finding new companions didn't make the hurt of losing the old team lesser, but it certainly did mean I spent a lot less time actually in the zone that caused the hurt, because I've not had the time to be there.
No sense feeling guilty when there are poor pusses out there crying out for a loving home.... you can do something for them.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.