Author Topic: Pre registration process  (Read 19176 times)

Re: Pre registration process
« Reply #125 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:37:17 pm »
There seems to be a new set of 'bikepackers' taking on PBP as a sort of 'Transcontinental' that anyone can do. Similar to the wave of US riders inspired by RAAM in the 80s. It's a new tribe, and they seem to set a high value on 'self sufficiency'. They're bound to be disappointed, there's no need for a sleeping bag and a lightweight tent.

This seems to be sort of thing they do. http://www.highlandtrail.net

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #126 on: 04 May, 2015, 05:53:52 pm »
There are some fundamentalists (mostly in Anglophone countries) that push the self-sufficiency thing to the max. It is all bollocks of course. The ACP definition of self-sufficiency means not having a car following behind you between controls with your rain jacket, to differentiate themselves from the common practice in larger UAF Audax brevets. Riding in groups (drafting) is expected and commonplace in PBP but not compulsory.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #127 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »
Well I'll be taking a sleeping bag and lightweight tent, coz you lot snore and fart........you noisy gits.

« Reply #128 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:14:57 pm »
Outside of racing, if there's a following car I can't see any reason not to be in it.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #129 on: 04 May, 2015, 06:50:40 pm »
Outside of racing, if there's a following car I can't see any reason not to be in it.

Because you might enjoy riding, despite having the option of sitting in a metal box?

« Reply #130 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:15:37 pm »

Because you might enjoy riding, despite having the option of sitting in a metal box?

I enjoy travelling under my own steam, without the need for external power.  Your suggestion reduces the bike to a toy.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #131 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:52:32 pm »
As long as you are pedalling, you are under your own steam. The rest of it is a matter of degree. You aren't growing your own food, knitting your own accommodation (that tent was made by somebody else and transported to you by fossil fuel) and so on. A bike touring holiday or Audax brevet is a pastime. Very few of us make our living by taking part in either activity.

« Reply #132 on: 04 May, 2015, 07:58:11 pm »
For me, personally, a following car is a degree too far.  And I don't rate my activities by whether I earn money from them.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #133 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:05:53 pm »
I don't rate my leisure activities by whether I can earn money from them either. Cycling for most of us is either a pastime or a utilitarian replacement (or both) for motorised transport or walking. Taking part in a pastime may well require 'toys' like a bicycle or whatever.

« Reply #134 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »
^^^^^^^ last 6 posts

?

« Reply #135 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:11:54 pm »
^^^^^^^ last 6 posts

?
Don't worry. I can't be arsed to reply.  Anyway, I pre-registered without a problem (did I say that already?)

« Reply #136 on: 04 May, 2015, 08:29:53 pm »
Quote from: Ian H link=topic=90040.msg1855909#msg1855909
Anyway, I pre-registered without a problem (did I say that already?)

Not in this thread!

« Reply #137 on: 04 May, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
2000+ registrations from riders that have completed a 600 last year already  :o

Numbers are going to be high when registration opens for my measly 300 that I did last year  :(
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #138 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:58:12 am »
Not really. There are a lot of folk who rode a SR last year just for pre-qualification. You are seeing most of them already in the queue. I think there will be perhaps 2000 people who've ridden a shorter brevet last year signing up, so there will still be plenty of places for fresh meat at PBP.

« Reply #139 on: 05 May, 2015, 03:49:35 pm »
2000+ registrations from riders that have completed a 600 last year already  :o

Numbers are going to be high when registration opens for my measly 300 that I did last year  :(

That would be 300 measly kilometers more than me  :) [I was ok in 2011 on the back of a 300 btw].
Mind you, by not doing a pre-qualification ride last year is all part of a very careful strategy that's now in full swing - it gives me more time before I register to decide if I want to ride again anyway. Or something like that  :D
400 on Saturday [gulp].
Garry Broad

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #140 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:15:54 pm »
Just got round to it:

90 hours
19h00 start ==> 13h00 deadline on Thursday (if I calculate correctly)
Number 2444

There were no earlier starts available on the pre-reg form, but I'm happy enough. If I wake up late on Thursday I may get to the finish in time (depending on where I wake up obv.) Now I need to identify a venue for a slap up lunch on Thursday  :thumbsup:

ETA: And I should be able to have a good dinner just before departure  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #141 on: 06 May, 2015, 10:42:36 pm »
Feck. Just remembered I was supposed to do this today.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #142 on: 08 May, 2015, 10:02:43 pm »
Don't worry.  I forgot.  I will do it Sunday.  if I don't get in I won't get bothered.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #143 on: 08 May, 2015, 10:15:53 pm »
Mrs CET wanted to watch The Closer so I did it now.  There were still 500 places available for the vedette starts (80hr).
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 183 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #144 on: 10 May, 2015, 06:03:03 am »
Not sure I'll make it to Paris but I've preregistered anyway.

1500 places left.

« Reply #145 on: 10 May, 2015, 01:21:01 pm »
Crikey!

I'm in!

7pm start in the 90hr group

Really not many places left at all (or so it seemed)

Now to go back to sleep and recover from llanfairpg!!

rob

« Reply #146 on: 10 May, 2015, 06:56:39 pm »
Website seems to have temporarily packed up.   Pity as I had filled everything in and it died when I tried to process.

rob

« Reply #147 on: 10 May, 2015, 07:10:57 pm »
Website seems to have temporarily packed up.   Pity as I had filled everything in and it died when I tried to process.

Panic over. In now.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #148 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:31:36 am »
Someone was saying on Saturday's ride that there had been so many preregistrations that there were very few places left for UK riders who qualify this year. That can't be true, surely?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #149 on: 11 May, 2015, 10:35:48 am »
Someone was saying on Saturday's ride that there had been so many preregistrations that there were very few places left for UK riders who qualify this year. That can't be true, surely?

Last count I saw was about 2,600 pre-registrations - which means a bit under 4,000 places still left. That is assuming they stick to 6,500 - but it has been suggested they may have a contingency plan for more if needed.

There are no country quotas, so there's nothing specific about UK or anywhere else - all places are open to all.

From what I have read also, the implication is that pre-reg places have a limit too - if true (which makes sense) then not all places will go before registration opens. My guess is that maybe 50% or a bit more have been allowed for pre-reg.

Also remember, that people can pre-register without having all qualifiers. So even if you do end up wait-listed, places can open up later.

At this stage, I'd say don't stress. Stick to your qualifier plan, and register as soon as the time slot opens. You should be fine.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one