Author Topic: the food rant thread  (Read 234393 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: the food rant thread
« Reply #1800 on: 01 January, 2023, 12:41:38 pm »
This Unit hereby endorses this product, service or sentiment.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1801 on: 01 January, 2023, 12:48:01 pm »
Stout fellow that Larrington, always thought so.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #1802 on: 09 January, 2023, 10:01:40 pm »
Dear The Internet.

The sort of potatoes often served with a joint of roast beef/lamb/pork ect ect are roast potatoes, not roasties. Similarly the batter puddings served with roast beef are Yorkshire puddings, not yorkies..kthxbai.

Ah yes, I know what you mean. Mind you, roasting at 200c+ for a period might be a suitable treatment for some yorkies

« Reply #1803 on: 04 February, 2023, 12:24:07 pm »
Dear The Internet.

The sort of potatoes often served with a joint of roast beef/lamb/pork ect ect are roast potatoes, not roasties. Similarly the batter puddings served with roast beef are Yorkshire puddings, not yorkies..kthxbai.

Dear kthxbai,

They've been called roasties since long before I was troubling your daily existence. Yorkies - well,  maybe didn't hear that one till a bit later, but it's still been decades now, and it may conceivably be just as old as roasties. Citations welcome.

Love and hugs,

The Internet

« Reply #1804 on: 04 February, 2023, 08:52:29 pm »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

They've been called roasties since long before I was troubling your daily existence. Yorkies - well,  maybe didn't hear that one till a bit later, but it's still been decades now, and it may conceivably be just as old as roasties. Citations welcome.

Love and hugs,

The Internet

no, no,no!

A Yorkie is a milk cocolate brick, chunky and thick...

« Reply #1805 on: 04 February, 2023, 09:57:54 pm »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

They've been called roasties since long before I was troubling your daily existence.
Love and hugs,

The Internet

Personally, I feel quite justified in keeping a package in the freezer so I can satisfy any guest who should have the temerity to ask for "roesties"

« Reply #1806 on: 04 February, 2023, 10:18:03 pm »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

Love and hugs,

The Internet

no, no,no!

A-ha.

My Dad, in his 8th decade - a York native, son of a chocolate factory worker who made Yorkies - calls Yorkshire puddings Yorkies.

They're Yorkies. I don't call them that, and probably never will - I call them Yorkshire puddings, as that's what my (non-local) Ma always called them, so it's stuck with me. But plenty of people in Yorkshire (and everywhere else) call them that, and no amount of insisting on their full name will change that.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1807 on: 05 February, 2023, 01:19:09 am »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

Love and hugs,

The Internet
no, no,no!

Each square, a chunky big mouthful...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1808 on: 05 February, 2023, 09:31:27 am »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

Love and hugs,

The Internet
no, no,no!

Yebbut remember It's Not For Girls!

« Reply #1809 on: 05 February, 2023, 01:11:28 pm »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

Love and hugs,

The Internet
no, no,no!

Thanks. I couldn't remember the start of that line.

« Reply #1810 on: 05 February, 2023, 04:01:46 pm »
Similarly the batter puddings served with roast beef are Yorkshire puddings, not yorkies.
Where I come from, and when I was young, they were called batter pudding - singular.
One big one, cooked in the roasting tray under the meat.
It was fluffy at the edges, and solid, but soaked in gravy, in the middle.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1811 on: 05 February, 2023, 11:19:56 pm »
Dear The Internet.
Dear kthxbai,
Love and hugs,
The Internet
no, no,no!
Yebbut remember It's Not For Girls!

In case you are unaware, much of my life has been spent doing 'non-girlie' things...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1812 on: 06 February, 2023, 10:46:12 am »
Dear The Internet.

Dear kthxbai,

They've been called roasties since long before I was troubling your daily existence.
Love and hugs,

The Internet

Personally, I feel quite justified in keeping a package in the freezer so I can satisfy any guest who should have the temerity to ask for "roesties"

Ooh I like those. Though I've only ever had them homemade. Can't work out what the herb on top is. Basil? Anyway, they're potato cakes to me.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1814 on: 06 February, 2023, 12:29:36 pm »
They're Yorkies. I don't call them that, and probably never will - I call them Yorkshire puddings, as that's what my (non-local) Ma always called them, so it's stuck with me. But plenty of people in Yorkshire (and everywhere else) call them that, and no amount of insisting on their full name will change that.

My mum was born and bred in Pontefract and she calls them Yorkies, which is good enough for me.

Mind you, she's a traitor to her heritage because she buys ready-made ones rather than making them herself. The skill skipped a generation but my gran (her mum) taught me how to make them when I was a student (a plate-size Yorkshire pudding loaded with onion gravy was a staple of my student diet). My gran was the best baker I ever knew. Can't remember if she called them Yorkies or not.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1815 on: 06 February, 2023, 03:23:16 pm »
It seems that I am right and a lot of people are wrong the yorkies/ yorkshire pudding debate is somewhat contentious.  What is Thee Panel's view on tubes of pasta served in a cheese sauce? Macaroni cheese or mac and cheese, or even <shudder> mac’n’cheese?
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #1816 on: 06 February, 2023, 04:01:46 pm »
Macaroni cheese, at least on this side of the Stormy North Atlantic, thank you very much.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1817 on: 06 February, 2023, 04:38:50 pm »
Macaroni cheese, just like mama used to make.

Talking of Americanisms, I walked past a branch of Five Guys last night and noticed a sign on their wall claiming that they offered an "authentic all-American experience", as if this were a selling point. Absolute opposite for me, mate.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1818 on: 06 February, 2023, 05:29:44 pm »
Macaroni cheese. Not that I'm too fussed about the name as long as you don't ruin it by adding all sorts of faux-fancy stuff to it. And also cauliflower cheese, not cauliflower and cheese, cauli and cheese or coll'n'cheese.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1819 on: 06 February, 2023, 05:40:14 pm »

My mum was born and bred in Pontefract and she calls them Yorkies, which is good enough for me.

I was born and raised in York and still live in North Yorkshire. Never heard anyone call them Yorkies, Yorkshires yes but not Yorkies.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #1820 on: 06 February, 2023, 05:50:24 pm »

Talking of Americanisms, I walked past a branch of Five Guys last night and noticed a sign on their wall claiming that they offered an "authentic all-American experience", as if this were a selling point. Absolute opposite for me, mate.

I had positive experiences in USA diners. The sort where you sit at a counter, and the cook is cooking directly on a huge hotplate opposite you.  Closest I've come to that in the UK is in the much-missed fisherman's cafe in Whitby.

Seriously doubt that 5 guys can replicate that experience.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1821 on: 06 February, 2023, 06:03:04 pm »

I had positive experiences in USA diners. The sort where you sit at a counter, and the cook is cooking directly on a huge hotplate opposite you.  Closest I've come to that in the UK is in the much-missed fisherman's cafe in Whitby.

Fat Boys at Trinity Wharf used to be like that when Joe was running it.
A proper American diner.
Pastrami on rye - Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Since he left, it has turned into a shameful pancake place.
Who's  best dish is disappointment.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #1822 on: 06 February, 2023, 06:33:02 pm »
Macaroni cheese - mac variants are clearly a US import, which is fine, but not my lingo.

Don't really have a name for Yorkshire pudding(s), as we didn't have them. My mum is Scottish, and isn't that keen on big roast dinners, so we rarely had them and I don't remember having Yorkshire puddings, possibly just not a working class Glasgow/family thing.

ian

« Reply #1823 on: 06 February, 2023, 09:36:57 pm »

They can't and don't. One of the delights of the US is a proper diner (and real family restaurants), though they're casualties of the endless expansion of the franchise chains. Even the endless refill of the waterly, bladder-bursting coffee have their charm. Don't expect portion control though, I remember the first time I went to a favourite in Virginia, I had to give up after the starter.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #1824 on: 06 February, 2023, 11:08:59 pm »
Macaroni cheese and Yorkshire puddings (but not together) - Mum (born 1919 in Sowerby Bridge).
There's no vibrations, but wait.