Author Topic: Brooks Cambium C15/C17  (Read 10819 times)

Brooks Cambium C15/C17
« on: May 19, 2015, 09:39:16 pm »
Hi all,

Firstly this is my first post so hopefully it's been posted in the right section.

I'm considering buying a Brooks Cambium C15 carved for my custom build bike, but was looking for some feedback on it first. I'm looking to do some Audax rides later in the year so think a Brooks might be a good option. I know that this model is new but has anyone tried it? Or maybe you have tried the C17? I've looked at the C17 in my LBS and it feels rock solid. I'm used to soft/gel saddles so any Brooks will feel tough to me.

Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Craig

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Brooks Cambium C15/C17
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 08:46:31 am »
The general concensus is that they are quite good.

You seem to have hit on a common misconception regarding softness of saddles*.

Soft, padded saddles = great for shopping bikes and shorter distances.

Brooks, and other leather saddles, are better for longer distances.  I am biased, though, all my bikes, bar one have B17s on them and the one that doesn't has a Charge Spoon.  When I eventually get my new bike it, too, will get a Brooks which might look a little odd as I am planning on getting a baked soot gravel bike.

*Mrs T had this idea in her head and it wasn't until I swapped her soft, spongy saddles for a Charge Spoon that it dawned on her that less padding is more comfortable on longer rides due to less rubbing.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:10:57 am »
I have both a C17 and C17 carved.

The C17 is quite firm and is good for 300km, then I start to shift around on it as it's a bit hot and a little hard.

The C17 Carved is quite flexible compared to the C17 regular and I think it makes for a much better saddle. I like the cut out as it cools the saddle a little and I don't get the burning sensation in my sit bones when I'm on it for a long period. I did a flat 600km brevet and rode 150km each way to the start on it, straight out of the box with no issues at all.

That's a fairly good test for a new saddle, I reckon.

fboab

• It's a fecking serious business, riding a bike
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:48:06 am »
I have a C17 on my fixed (free as one of the beta testers) and I love it. Longest ride is only about 350km but in total I've done more than 10,000km on it.
I've tried Brooks with cut outs and they don't work for me. I have B17S on the tandem and do most of the longer rides on that. My New! Shiny! Pink! bike has the stock Liv saddle and is absolutely fine for 50 miles. Previous solo bikes have had all sorts of saddles with varying success- I've finished rides sore and uncomfortable but I've never failed to finish a ride because of the state of my backside- boils and/or weeping skin loss are not ride ending if you're determined.

However....

Only you can know which saddle is right for you, as every arse is different, every rider different.
TSS is not Total Sex Score, Chris!

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 11:21:03 am »
Would it be correct to say that the Cambium saddles will feel right on the first day (with tinkering with angles, etc) if they are ever to feel right, but the leather saddles (B17, Swift, etc) usually improve greatly with use?

fboab

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
I can only speak for myself, but my C17 was comfy straight away and my B17 is never comfy, it just doesn't get worse, rub, or make things hurt.

My leather saddles haven't sagged (despite my mahoosive bulk and riding in the rain) but the honey ones stain very easily (eeeeeeeewwww).

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 11:38:08 am »
Thanks for the great feedback. I think I'll have to take the plunge and go for the C15 carved as it's narrower than the C17. Hopefully perfect for my tiny sit bones!

How did you all find the material of the saddle? I've read mixed reviews about it. Also do you run the saddle level?

Thanks

fboab

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 12:17:56 pm »
My top tip is to get a scrubbing brush to the saddle to soften the fabric. HK found hers was damaging to shorts but mine never has been. I suspect this is because thanks to an unfortunate incident I had to get the Mr Muscle & scrubbing brush on my natural one within a couple of weeks of owning it.
I have the saddle dead level.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 12:32:49 pm »
my c17s are perfect for me.

as above use a brush when cleaning, I use a nail brush or a little rubber shoe brush with hard bristles on one side and rubber on the reverse. I've never had any short damage but I suspect that lots of grit and mud from off road riding has smoothed mine out.

dismantle the rivets and threadlock them, all of mine have come apart! a few people have lost them and Brooks haven't replaced them!!

There's reports on the c15s squeaking from rail rub, c17s are wider so don't catch the rails on the rubber underside.

OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 01:50:53 pm »
Useful thread, thanks contributors.

Am considering a C15 myself (small sit bones) and feedback seems overall good  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »
I run mine slightly nose up, as I feel like I'm slipping off if it's flat. I also have it set fairly far forward on the post.

I really like that I can just wipe it dry with a paper towel if the bike has been standing in the rain, no wet shorts.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 03:45:16 pm »
By the look of it no retailer has the C15 carved so ill have to order direct from Brooks.

Have any of you ordered direct through Brooks before? if so what is the delivery time like? I've emailed them several times but they never reply.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
I got mine from Wiggle and Evans, Brooks are still stuck in the 19th Century...........good luck.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 04:01:05 pm »
I got mine from Wiggle and Evans, Brooks are still stuck in the 19th Century...........good luck.

In which case you need to dispatch the footman with a vellum requesting the items. :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 06:52:38 pm »
Tried a C15 and it squeaked - like really squeaked - caused by sides rubbing against the rails towards nose. Got a C17 and is v comfortable and squeak free.
Old fat and slow

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »

In which case you need to dispatch the footman with a vellum requesting the items. :)

you'll also need to supply an extra purse of florins too!
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2015, 02:01:51 pm »
Just spoke with Steve who works for Brooks via Twitter and he advised using some very fine sandpaper to smoothen the edges of the saddle to prevent any possible damage to your lycra. Plus he also said to lubricate the frame and rails to prevent any squeaking.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues. Just trying to check all of the facts before buying ;)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2015, 02:45:15 pm »
You need to watch out when you lubricate the rails of the saddle, as oil and soap will degrade natural rubber fairly quickly.

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2015, 02:53:27 pm »
i use poorboys natural dressing or an industrial silicone spray for the underside.

stops any crud from sticking too :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2015, 03:22:21 pm »
Yes, HK had the edges of her C17S prematurely wearing out her Lycra shorts.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Carlosfandango

• Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2015, 06:17:44 am »
Hi Craig.

It looks like everyone loves them, except me. I've borrowed a C15 demonsrator for a couple of months and it's slowly killing me. It's not moulded to me and I've not moulded to it.  It's gonna get swapped out for this weekend.

I've borrowed it from a dealer and that's what I'd do if I was you. Try before you buy. Good luck.

fboab

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:23 am »
The C15/17 don't mould like leather, so unlike your standard Brooks if it's not OK straight away it's probably never going to be good, unless you're a relatively new cyclist and are still upping your miles considerably.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2015, 08:07:22 am »
+1 to fboab's post.

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2015, 08:10:40 am »
they do have a wee bit of spring to them though.

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:45 am »
The C15/17 don't mould like leather, so unlike your standard Brooks if it's not OK straight away it's probably never going to be good, unless you're a relatively new cyclist and are still upping your miles considerably.

This is good to know

So I guess if I just accost people with C15/C17 saddles and ask to sit on their bike I'll get a good idea if they are going to be comfy for me, at least shape wise  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others