Author Topic: Brooks Cambium C15/C17  (Read 14833 times)

Re: Brooks Cambium C15/C17
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2017, 08:53:28 am »
I'm a fan of the cambium. C17s on my MTB and cargo bike. C15 on my Disc Trucker which I use for touring and recently Audax. I love them. Incidently, I got an email last night from Charlie the Bikemonger which may be of interest:

"Hi There,

I am on a mission my friends, I am a driven hairy soul, who will not rest until I saved the nation's cycling ar$es.

How am i going to do this?

£30 Off the Brooks Cambium Saddle + FREE £17.99 tub of Happy Bottom Bum Butter

I have acheived the rarest of things... a deal on Brooks saddles. The awesome Cambium C17 rubber saddle is what you will find on almost all of my bikes. It gives you the comfort of the original Brooks leather saddles, but in a zero maintenance rubber format. What's more this deal is on the best and the original colour: Slate organic canvas top, natural vulcanised rubber base. RRP is £110, now only £79.99.

I am then throwing in a FREE tub of our now famous Happy Bottom Bum Butter, worth £17.99. Jo Burt, best known as the human who illustrates "mint sauce" the comic strip mountainbiking sheep, gave it a ripping review over at road.cc (click here for the review).

So thats:

£30 off the Brooks cambium Saddle

Free £17.99 Bum Butter

Free UK delivery"

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/brooks-cambium-saddle-c17-4273-p.asp

« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 08:44:31 am »
Took advantage of Charlie's offer and went for a C17. Fitted initially with nose up and adjusted several times on the commute yesterday morning. Ended up with the saddle more or less level. I did 100km on the way home last night for a good shakedown ride. I like it. Nose level definitely relieves pressure on the undercarriage and I think the grippy cotton top prevents the slide forward feeling you might get with a leather saddle. The narrow nose is also agreeable as guess prevents any inner thigh chafing. I didn't have padded shorts on last night but was not uncomfortable after 100km. I guess the real test will come on much longer rides. Discomfort for me has only previously bitten on rides of 250km plus.

« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2017, 03:19:33 pm »
I fitted mine just over a week ago. Two rides last weekend, bit of shopping and stuff over the week. It's my second C17 – I guess I must like them! I've got both mine virtually horizontal, fractionally nose down; YgeometryMV. Turns out the special offer only applies to one colour (of the C17 at least); slate. This is fine by me, as slate is Brooks-speak for grey, faded black even. In fact the main difference between slate and black is the colour of the rubber underlayer – natural as opposed to black. The black model is very black!

Mine arrived with a "Brooks product overview", a catalogue of some of their products – from 2015! Perhaps this give a clue as to the reason for the discount! I've yet to try the butter but I might get some crumpets later.  :D
When the sun is up it is always shining
On cloudy days you see the silver lining

« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2017, 04:29:22 pm »
I went for the same deal. The bum butter smells so nice, I could use it as beard balm. Whether it really has the claimed anti bacterial properties, I have no idea. It's very different to Assos.

The Cambium was great on the turbo - no problem up to 100km. It's now benefiting from a Ergon CF3 pro  flexy post and I'm running 35mm tyres on 21mm internal width rims at 40psi. It feels soooooo soft and comfy - more give than my basic Domane. Whether it'll be as comfy, I'll have to see.

dim

« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2017, 06:58:25 pm »
if you get on well with the Cambium saddle, and have some spare cash and want to 'spruce' it up for your audax or best bike, you can have it covered in leather of your choice andyour  design:

http://lehcyclinggoods.com/

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2017, 02:09:59 pm »
Having recently broke mine, I am back on a standard saddle.

I can really feel the difference in comfort (and it makes quite a difference as I am riding M+ pumped up to high heaven!)

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2017, 08:01:57 pm »
I noticed an update on the Brooks website. A Cambium 'All Weather' model with re-enforced nylon frame and rails. Comes in cheaper than a normal Cambium but weighs a bit more.  (http://www.brooksengland.com/en_us/saddles/cambium.html)

Anyone seen/felt one of these yet? I've not seen any product announcement or anything.

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2017, 08:13:57 pm »
First I've heard of it. Looking at the website, first I've heard of the C19 too. Have their been problems with the cotton canvas wearing out or rotting in a lot of wet riding? They do describe the standard cotton version as "waterproof" thanks to the numac (whatever that is... ). Similarly, does the steel and aluminium frame actually corrode?
When the sun is up it is always shining
On cloudy days you see the silver lining

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2017, 10:30:52 am »
I got a Cambium C17 All Weather a few weeks back and I am using it on the fixed. I didn't particularly like the original Cambium (not really sure why) but I am very happy with the All Weather Version. Will see how it holds up over the longer term I guess and I have found that riding fixed is a great test of a saddle.
Enjoying a quiet year

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2018, 09:39:03 am »
I've had one for a few months now (C17 Carved) and think it's pretty good. Still quite abrasive on bibs, but very comfortable on the longer rides.

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2018, 01:36:53 pm »
Sean Conway just cycled across Europe in world record time on a C13 and considers it a mistake. He'd have preferred his C17 for the extra comfort
http://www.seanconway.com/cycling-europe.html
I must say I'm tempted by a C17 but as it would be worth more than the rest of the bike I may spec in on future steel horse.