Author Topic: Cat fading away - cat experts advice sought.  (Read 3328 times)

Cat fading away - cat experts advice sought.
« on: 27 August, 2015, 07:23:05 am »
Our 18 year old cat was taken to the vet a few months ago because he was drinking a lot of water.

We were told his kidneys were failing and he needed to drink a lot otherwise nothing could be done.  He has been slowly losing his energy and ability to get around over several months.

Within the last day or so he has become completely passive  and is no longer drinking lots and has stopped eating at all.  He sits around or sleeps all the time and this morning it is clear he has no mobility - can't use his back legs to balance.  He seems not to be in discomfort or distress. 

Now I wonder if a vet visit has any point or would just add stress to what, sadly, might simply be nature taking its course.  Is there any point in going to ask the (French but English-speaking) vet?

Move Faster and Bake Things

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Re: Cat fading away - cat experts advice sought.
« Reply #1 on: 27 August, 2015, 07:29:49 am »
I've known a couple of people die of kidney failure, as you describe in your cat, and they didn't seem to suffer any distress, they just got vague and a bit confused and weak, then went to sleep.  But I would say, Ask the vet, because cats might be different.
Milk please, no sugar.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:02:02 am »
Someone close to me had kidney failure and it completely messed with appetite. When put on dialysis the appetite returned.

Cats do fade away quickly - I have explained to the kids it is about seven times faster than a human, but that isn't based on fact, just on observation and how long they live compared with humans.

We had the rather wonderful Alfie live two years longer than predicted, as we put him on a strict weak kidney appropriate diet. I'm inclined to think the vet will suggest euthanasia, that's what ours do.

Best wishes asterix with your decision, whichever way you decide. It will be hard either way.
It is simpler than it looks.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 27 August, 2015, 09:36:46 am »
Our first cat, a stray we adopted so had no idea how old she was, finally went down with a mix of thyroid and kidney failure. The first time the vet took her in and she was on a drip for a few days and came back fine. She was OK for about six months and back to her usual self and then dehydrated again. The second time we took her in the morning and got a call in the afternoon that she'd died.

« Reply #4 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:00:43 am »
Thanks all

He's a little more aware now so I'll get him to vet session this afternoon and see what he can do.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 27 August, 2015, 10:57:20 am »
My parents/I had 2 cats for years, sadly the first was eaten buy a stray, nasty dog, in full veiw of my dad, who picked up a calor gas bottle and threw it at the dog, but it just bounced off. The second , more affecionate cat,lasted much longer. Dad was very attatched to 'Tiger', then one summer, it kind of lost the will, very lethargic, slept all day, bluebottles hanging around its bottom. So I persuaded him it was time. we took to it to the vet and he said goodbye. It was only the second time in his life I ever saw him cry. Dad died 2 weeks later :facepalm:

« Reply #6 on: 27 August, 2015, 03:35:42 pm »
He's been seen by the vet and had tests.  I guess the vet was trying to tell me something when he told me the test for urea was off the scale and then gave the sample a 10% dilution to bring it under the maximum.  Basically his kidneys have less than 10% efficiency or not enough to keep him going.  Further reduction will be increasingly swift.

He offered the option of a drip to flush out the impurities but the other problem is lack of EPO and therefore oxygen-carrying red blood cells (explained by references to the Tour de France). 

He said the drip may or may not work and even if it did he would be back to where he is in a few days at best. The high level of urea is coma-inducing and therefore he is not suffering unless it affects his brain or makes him vomit, neither of which apply right now.  If they did, he said it would be time to 'Make a Decision' otherwise he can simply live out his few remaining days at home.  So here he is.  He's had a good summer anyway. 

« Reply #7 on: 27 August, 2015, 04:03:17 pm »
Our thoughts go out to you.  It's the most difficult part of being a pet owner.  Look after him well.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 27 August, 2015, 05:08:33 pm »
When Mojo was diagnosed with kidney failure he was put on some supportive drugs and food, I'm surprised nothing was offered on first diagnosis in your case. He carried on with it for quite a few years before the end.
It's hard watching them getting older :/
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #9 on: 28 August, 2015, 04:12:34 pm »
When Mojo was diagnosed with kidney failure he was put on some supportive drugs and food, I'm surprised nothing was offered on first diagnosis in your case. He carried on with it for quite a few years before the end.
It's hard watching them getting older :/

I would say that 18 going on 19 is not 'getting older' it is simply old. He is an adopted cat and it is likely his early years were not a bed of roses.  He's been with us 12 years and he used to bite and scratch at first.  I will always have a 4" scar across my palm from when we first got him. 

Our thoughts go out to you.  It's the most difficult part of being a pet owner.  Look after him well.

Thank you, we'll do our best.  He's been asleep all day.

« Reply #10 on: 23 November, 2015, 11:37:00 am »
As might be expected on the 1st September I had to ask the vet to do the right thing.  It would probably have been better done a few days earlier but hindsight and all that..

He is buried in his favourite spot with a stone cat watching over.