Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017  (Read 108923 times)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2017
« Reply #500 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:39:27 pm »
I think it's safe to assume that it will be bl--dy cold as you go over Llanberis, unless you're fortunate enough to be up there before dusk.  In the past, I've experienced sleet on the way down, even after a relatively balmy ride up from Chepstow, and freezing rain on the way up. I wold err on the side of having more than you need rather than chancing it.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #501 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:48:27 pm »
Have just ordered some leg warmers and will pack my down gillet  :thumbsup:

Being too cold to ride safely, and to cold to stop without dying, is not fun at all.

« Reply #502 on: 08 May, 2017, 09:51:42 pm »
Agreed - primaloft gilet it is.

« Reply #503 on: 08 May, 2017, 10:16:10 pm »
I am booked in at the Two Rivers Lodge in Chepstow. Anyone else staying Friday night in town?

« Reply #504 on: 08 May, 2017, 11:02:41 pm »
Never underestimate how cold it can get in north Wales overnight. Especially if it rains...
The run back to King's is usually OK, though sometime verging on feeling 'fresh' (from a 'Welsh' perspective)!
Carry on to Aberhafesp is where it can become particularly *COLD* - Especially when descending Cross Foxes...
On other years I've ridden it has been warm (almost) too ride in shorts with just a jersey and arm warmers.
The bag drop should offer you some insurance against this for sure!

« Reply #505 on: 09 May, 2017, 06:36:58 am »
Last year I left Kings at 3.30 and it was absolutely freezing.  The next 50km was very tough in terms of temperature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

simonp

« Reply #506 on: 09 May, 2017, 03:37:31 pm »
I have ordered some new sunglasses (photochromic so they should help stop my contacts drying out in the night), some more Torq energy bars, and some new tyres.

« Reply #507 on: 09 May, 2017, 04:34:31 pm »
Kit shakedown at 2hr 200w/ NP - I learned...

I can't wear warm gloves when it's warm.
Big beards make buffs somewhat redundant
I <3 my Morvelo Stormshield gear
I can cope with overshoes even when it's warm
My discs need adjusting
Everything fits in my Alpkit bags, but if I may as well swap the ass saver for my ortlieb pack and then I can get away without a bag drop.

simonp

« Reply #508 on: 09 May, 2017, 04:45:02 pm »
I haven't ridden my fixie at all since The Dean. I'm sure it'll be fine.

I'm going to try doing an opener workout on Friday. So I could be knackered at the start.

« Reply #509 on: 09 May, 2017, 04:57:58 pm »
Hmm, I think 5 degrees with 15 knots headwind, down welsh mountains at night = bloody freezing. I will be taking warms.

simonp

« Reply #510 on: 09 May, 2017, 05:03:40 pm »
I'm not worried at all by the current forecast, it seems the heavy rain will be thurs-fri now rather than fri-sat.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #511 on: 09 May, 2017, 05:25:27 pm »
still forecast to rain on Sunday.  Bearable though if arriving dry at the overnight. Still 4 days away is pretty hit and miss with forecasting. I'll make a decision on wet/dry bike on Thursday evening.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #512 on: 09 May, 2017, 05:58:18 pm »
Whilst the headwind will be a bit of a pain in the arse head, at least it will be a warm southerly rather than a cold northerly.

« Reply #513 on: 09 May, 2017, 07:20:50 pm »
I think there's less climbing on the Harlech road - once you've reached Penrhyndeudraeth the coast road is rolling, whereas the official route from Maentwrog (bus shelter place) to Trawsfynydd is very definitely a solid climb.
Agreed, it's a good old climb, the first year I rode it for reasons completely unknown, I put my head down and pedalled - I dropped everyone in my group, caught the next group. They kept ranting at Dave to do his bit on the front. It became apparent that I was Dave (in fact Dave had dropped back into the group I had been in). So I got on the front and rode away from them as we went over the top and down the hill.

Coast road is a bit longer though.
This might come as a shock, but the coast road will be shorter, not by much - but certainly shorter*.

As to the climbing, the coast road will be flatter in both directions. Surprisingly though, not by much.

A strong southerly or south westerly wind will also make that stretch harder - it is quite exposed in some areas.
Agreed, the coast road is great going north when the naturally prevailing coast winds blow, the biggest hindrance are the cars when you're passing through some of the villages.

If one decided to take the longer option going North,  the A470 going north isn't without cars slowing cyclists progress, once you're on the drop passing Trawsfynydd,  cars braking will hinder progress.

* assuming you're comparing both of this year's routes up and down between the Penrhyndeudraeth cross and the bottom of the lane from the A493.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

simonp

« Reply #514 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:30:05 pm »
I take it the toll bridge (not the Barmouth one) is open again? That was the only reason I ever took the A470 northbound. It is actually quite pretty up there in daylight.

« Reply #515 on: 09 May, 2017, 10:36:14 pm »
Oh yes, it's open alright! Nice after several years of inconvenient diversions, but gone is that lovely remote character of the timber bridge and replaced with a soulless concrete edifice. Granted it probably mets Network Rail's 120+ year design life requirements; however I liked riding the former!

« Reply #516 on: 10 May, 2017, 11:46:22 am »
Can anyone confirm that last year and this years routes really are identical? Would like to back up my poor routesheet skills with a track, but obviously if track has changed that will be confusing and pointless! It does seem to be a straightforward route though which will only make it 'baffling' when mixed with too little sleep!

A

Redlight

« Reply #517 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:15:27 pm »
Quoting from an email I received from Ritchie last Friday:

... it’s the same as last year and is attached.

Info controls have changed.

I think you're safe  ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #518 on: 10 May, 2017, 12:17:02 pm »

I think you're safe  ;)
... unless last year's Info controls are marked on his track!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #519 on: 10 May, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »

I think you're safe  ;)

I have that email and have read it too. Too much to do this week! Thanks RL and see you Saturday!

A

« Reply #520 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:03:40 pm »

I think you're safe  ;)

The only one you need worry about is the one at Macynlleth - which is at the previous T junction to the one it was at last year.
The other two are at more or less same locations as last year's  (but of course the questions will have changed)
... unless last year's Info controls are marked on his track!

« Reply #521 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:05:40 pm »
I am booked in at the Two Rivers Lodge in Chepstow. Anyone else staying Friday night in town?
When the give your room ask for one at the back of the building - i.e not facing the car park between the hotel and the pub.  It's pretty noisy and smoky at night

« Reply #522 on: 10 May, 2017, 06:34:48 pm »

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13375180

Thanks for that.  I've reduced the whole lot to tracks totalling 118kb, including waypoints for all controls. Suitable for an Etrex.

« Reply #523 on: 10 May, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »
Anybody any idea what the weather is going to do????
How accurate are the weather forecasts?

Redlight

« Reply #524 on: 10 May, 2017, 08:38:06 pm »
Anybody any idea what the weather is going to do????
How accurate are the weather forecasts?

This usually sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYEyCDRHmE

(More seriously, the overall forecast is looking rather pleasant with mid-teen temperatures and light winds during the days, but it's a brave AUK that would risk going over Snowdon twice without being prepared to get wet and cold.)