Author Topic: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet  (Read 11312 times)

My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet
« on: 17 September, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »
Arrived in post today 1 x XXL jersey , 1 x L gilet , 1 x frame badge number

Jersey / gilet fit me well

BUT due to various issues I DNS the event so what to do with jersey etc---I`ve paid for it, it fits, it`s quite a nice cut / fabric but should I wear it or sell it on ? Feel a bit of a `fraud` wearing it but .....?

And I`m sure others will also get PBP jersey if DNS or even maybe DNF

And (again) I contacted PBP 3 x emails to advise of DNS but never had any response   :(
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

Re: My PBP (DNS) jersey / gilet
« Reply #1 on: 17 September, 2015, 03:16:18 pm »
Arrived in post today 1 x XXL jersey , 1 x L gilet , 1 x frame badge number

Jersey / gilet fit me well

BUT due to various issues I DNS the event so what to do with jersey etc---I`ve paid for it, it fits, it`s quite a nice cut / fabric but should I wear it or sell it on ? Feel a bit of a `fraud` wearing it but .....?

And I`m sure others will also get PBP jersey if DNS or even maybe DNF

And (again) I contacted PBP 3 x emails to advise of DNS but never had any response   :(

There's no right or wrong answer - purely what sits well with you. For me, I generally won't wear a jersey if I DNF (let alone DNS) - just a personal thing. If I hadn't finished PBP I might have bent this rule as long as I could say I'd truly taken part i.e. given it my all, and not finished for some fairly solid reason.

We're all different though. If you like the jersey, keep it and wear it proudly - you did ride 1,500km of qualifiers to be able to even apply.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

« Reply #2 on: 17 September, 2015, 03:20:00 pm »
Yes, and my DNS was for  very solid reasons outside my control and I`ve every intent trying again in 2019 :thumbsup:

As you say I did all qualifiers (plus extras),  and was extremely disappointed to DNS
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2015, 03:21:03 pm »
Yes, and my DNS was for  very solid reasons outside my control and I`ve every intent trying again in 2019 :thumbsup:

As you say I did all qualifiers (plus extras),  and was extremely disappointed to DNS

Sounds to me like you have your answer. Keep it and enjoy it.
The other Robw, not the wobbly one

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:25:27 pm »
Nothing in The Rules to say you shouldn't. Rule #16 seems quite specific, and isn't relevant in this case.

However, I wouldn't.

« Reply #5 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:30:52 pm »
I see folk riding in Sky tops and many more professional teams and I don't think they have any connection with them. If you wear it then I'm sure it will generate a conversation or two and you could share your tale of your experience.

LMT

« Reply #6 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:42:22 pm »
I see folk riding in Sky tops and many more professional teams and I don't think they have any connection with them. If you wear it then I'm sure it will generate a conversation or two and you could share your tale of your experience.
The distinction is though that one is a ride and the other a team. I would not wear the jersey if I did not do the ride.

« Reply #7 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »
I would not wear the jersey if I did not do the ride.
Me neither.
But what do I know, I wear these.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:47:45 pm »
I see folk riding in Sky tops and many more professional teams and I don't think they have any connection with them.

Different rule. That's Rule #17.

« Reply #9 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:48:10 pm »
The distinction is though that one is a ride and the other a team. I would not wear the jersey if I did not do the ride.

Your choice.

Any suggestion for me as I managed 1131km before having to withdraw due to chronic gastrointestinal challenges?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #10 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:49:04 pm »
Wear it and enjoy it.

I've got two 2015 jerseys, but I didn't ride it twice.

« Reply #11 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:50:43 pm »

Your choice.

Any suggestion for me as I managed 1131km before having to withdraw due to chronic gastrointestinal challenges?

Yes wear it, you must have given your all and as suggested above wearing it may start chat about the ride etc. IMHO you deserve it 

LMT

« Reply #12 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:56:46 pm »

Your choice.

As I've said, I would not wear the jersey if I did not do the ride.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #13 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:58:29 pm »

Your choice.

The white panels on the jersey should take a brown dye quite easily...... :sick:.... sorry!  :P

It's all an individual choice.  I'd probably wear a jersey for an event I DNF'd - as long as I had a good story to go with it!  It's a commemorative jersey, not the maillot jaune - it's just a reminder of an event and an event you DNF'd is possibly likely to hold more memories (some not good!) than one you finished.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Chris S

« Reply #14 on: 17 September, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

Your choice.

Yes wear it, you must have given your all and as suggested above wearing it may start chat about the ride etc. IMHO you deserve it

Perhaps. Or don't wear it because you didn't finish it. (Sorry, this sounds really harsh! :().

PBP at least separates those who DNF/DNS and those who finish, but are out of time. If you finish, but you're out of time, I think you can wear the jersey with a clear conscience.

Ugh. Do what you like! It's just a bike ride jersey!

« Reply #15 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:01:28 pm »
But I did the ride, well 92% of it. Also, if someone finishes out of time, they may have completed the ride but they did not meet the requirement of the ride, so presumably you also believe they should not wear the kit.

« Reply #16 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:07:18 pm »

Me too!

Purchased some for the Holland trip and very happy with them. Even managed to get the 'Shimano sandal' tan. I was going to wear them on the club run this morning, but got up late and no time to change pedals. Might do it on the weekend run with my Boardman SLR 9.8 and some cheap white sports socks: I'm sure they'll be impressed!

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #17 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:10:23 pm »
Even if there is there is no formal rule, I would neither wear jersey nor gilet. Both suggests to the ignorant observer that you did take part in the ride.

DNF or OOT may arguably be a different case, as you did take part in the ride.

I was a bit superstitious and did put on my PBP jersey until after finishing the ride.

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:11:36 pm »

Me too!

Purchased some for the Holland trip and very happy with them. Even managed to get the 'Shimano sandal' tan. I was going to wear them on the club run this morning, but got up late and no time to change pedals. Might do it on the weekend run with my Boardman SLR 9.8 and some cheap white sports socks: I'm sure they'll be impressed!

There's nothing quite like the feeling of riding through a puddle in the Summer months (September qualifies - though possibly not yesterday) and finding it warm. It may seem a bit wrong, and a bit weird, but it's not wrong to find it strangely soothing, honest....

« Reply #19 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:15:03 pm »
Totally agree. Had some very wet days in Holland and the no-socks sandal variation appeared far superior to my tandem passenger's sodden socks and cycling shoe combination.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:20:34 pm »
Complicated thing, this riding a bike backwards and forwards or around in a circle.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:21:49 pm »
Complicated thing, this riding a bike backwards and forwards or around in a circle.

T'was ever thus  ::-).

LMT

« Reply #22 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:23:22 pm »
But I did the ride, well 92% of it. Also, if someone finishes out of time, they may have completed the ride but they did not meet the requirement of the ride, so presumably you also believe they should not wear the kit.

Correct. The PBP jersey represents a ride of a specific distance that must be completed within a certain time. Failure of what ever reason and you should not wear the jersey.

I myself did not wear the jersey until I got back to the hotel and it was a proud moment. If I had failed then the jerseys would have been thrown away.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #23 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »
I'm having a dilemma about this myself.

Fortunately it's too cold/wet to be an issue at the moment so the decision may be offset until next Spring.

1) My view before 2015 was that getting to the start line of PBP is an incredible achievement in itself. 

The effort of doing the qualifiers, the effort of getting to Paris and the impact to your family life warrant wearing the jersey in my opinion.

That implies getting to the start line and crossing it for some distance.

2) That was my view as a successful finisher in 2011.

3) Now I'm a DNF (after 800km) myself I really feel a bit of a fraud but, by my own rules (they are somewhere on the forum I expect) and considering I rode to/from Paris in a 1400km adventure, I'll probably wear it next year.

Remember that many people drive to the event and many have motorhomes waiting at every control. 
It's never an easy ride but I can assure you that I would have finished again this time round if I'd had support in a Motorhome at Loudeac.

4) If I hadn't gone to Paris then I'd Ebay my jersey.  There is no way I could wear it if I hadn't gone to the start.  That's entirely my feeling though.

5) If I'd gone to Paris but was forced into a DNS then I'd be in more of a personal quandary.  I think that would tip the scales  in favour of Ebay for me.  However, it's a souvenir of the ride so maybe I'd keep it and put it on the wall as a memento with my other bits.

PS.  The Gilet is another matter, I'm wearing that.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #24 on: 17 September, 2015, 05:29:55 pm »

Correct. The PBP jersey represents a ride of a specific distance that must be completed within a certain time. Failure of what ever reason and you should not wear the jersey.

I myself did not wear the jersey until I got back to the hotel and it was a proud moment. If I had failed then the jerseys would have been thrown away.

I think you're confusing it with the medal.  You get the medal (or will in January) for riding a specific distance within a certain time.  It will even have your time engraved on it.

The jersey - well, that's just a jersey to commemorate the event.  I wouldn't begrudge anyone wearing it who had DNF'd - as long as when asked "how was your PBP?", they are happy to own the story of their DNF and tell all the gory details. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!