Author Topic: London cycle "superhighways"  (Read 1916 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
London cycle "superhighways"
« on: 25 November, 2015, 12:38:50 am »
Normally my route home from work would be to come out of the office and head West along Lower Thames Street and follow the north bank of the river as far as Albert Bridge, before crossing and going along the South Bank. That would take me through the Blackfriars underpass, which I normally don't mind (a few tactical wobbles keep the traffic away), but because of the construction of the "East-West Cycle Superhighway" the underpass is currently a contraflow, with one lane in each direction, and I don't really feel like re-enacting a scene or two from Duel with my Brompton I've been going South over Southwark Bridge and crossing back to the North side of the river at Lambeth Bridge as I don't like going round the one way system at Vauxhall.

But tonight I thought that as there's "Cycle Superhighway 5" going from Oval to Pimlico, and more importantly crossing Vauxhall Bridge I would continue past Lambeth Bridge and try the new "Superhighway".

Coming up towards Vauxhall there were no signs giving directions to cyclists who wanted to go South, but as the roads were fairly quiet I crossed the three lanes of the road to get across to the right hand side. Well, maybe there are no signs because the designers hadn't considered that cyclists would want to turn right there, and from the right hand lane you have to go past the lights and make a 90 degree right turn followed immediately by another 90 degree right turn and then immediately 90 degrees left. Then you are at the lights to cross the eastbound carriageway. Theres a flashing green cyclist light, on the traffic light post nearest you, but the other side of the road no repeater light that I remember.

Across the carriageway and those 90 degree bends are matched by two more, left and then right this time.

So far, that all just seems like bad design, which will get nasty if that crossing ever gets busy with cyclists going in both directions - the 90 degree bends mean that there's plenty of scope for collisions. But, once you get across the bridge it gets dangerous.

Getting to the other side of the bridge I wanted to turn left to continue heading west along "Superhighway 8", and as I approached the junction I had a green traffic light, and there were no signs telling me what I should not do, so I can turn left at a green traffic light? No, do that and you die, because to your left is oncoming traffic.

I wonder if TFL would build a junction for cars on a major road which allowed them to turn left immediately into oncoming traffic?

(I've copied this to TFL asking them for their comments)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
Re: London cycle "superhighways"
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2015, 07:03:28 am »
Please give more detail as to road names you are on, i can't follow your route
Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2015, 10:09:34 am »
Please give more detail as to road names you are on, i can't follow your route

Yes please do as my head hurts from trying to work out your directions.

Zipperhead

« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:15:17 am »
Apologies, it was late.

This is what I was trying to do - come along Albert Embankment, cross Vauxhall Bridge to the North side of the river and turn left into Grosvenor Road.

« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2015, 11:27:47 am »
Apologies, it was late.

This is what I was trying to do - come along Albert Embankment, cross Vauxhall Bridge to the North side of the river and turn left into Grosvenor Road.

Now I get it... yeah I am often coming along Millbank. I would say that you need to go over the bridge then at the traffic lights park yourself so you can cross over with the masses of cyclists when the light is green. No easy way around it!

EDIT: You can turn into the cycle highway when it is safe to do so to continue across the bridge when going along Albert Embankment. Clunky is the word I would use.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2015, 12:28:07 pm »
How long did it take to cover that section? That Google maps link had the journey taking 6 minutes which seems to be half that of their flat, junction free cycling cruise speed. I'm just interested in what different expectations people have for cyclists making progress.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

Zipperhead

« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:15:50 pm »
Now I get it... yeah I am often coming along Millbank. I would say that you need to go over the bridge then at the traffic lights park yourself so you can cross over with the masses of cyclists when the light is green. No easy way around it!

EDIT: You can turn into the cycle highway when it is safe to do so to continue across the bridge when going along Albert Embankment. Clunky is the word I would use.

Clunky, yes. The easy way around it would be to design the interchange with a major road in the same way as it would be designed for motor vehicles, either a combination of filter lights or a completely new phase just for the superhighway.

"Cycle Superhighways are cycle routes running from outer London into and across central London. They give you safer, faster and more direct journeys into the city and could be your best and quickest way to get to work. "

Zipperhead

« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »
How long did it take to cover that section? That Google maps link had the journey taking 6 minutes which seems to be half that of their flat, junction free cycling cruise speed. I'm just interested in what different expectations people have for cyclists making progress.

Up until getting to the North side of Vauxhall bridge, under two minutes because I had the first set of lights with me. The delay is then in the traffic lights at north end of Vauxhall Bridge

« Reply #8 on: 26 November, 2015, 01:52:57 pm »
I think the intended route is this one:

http://imgur.com/nFv5FED

You join the segregated cycle track at A by (from the right lane) turning right into it at the traffic island. There are then lights protecting you as you cross the other carriageway and the segregated track continues onto the bridge.

If you were a car and trying to get onto the bridge from A you'd have to go all the way around the gyratory (which includes at least three sets of lights - from A turn left, under the bridge, turn right, right again onto Parry Street, right again, then finally left onto the bridge) so I don't think this is too bad.

At the north end of the bridge you are meant to cross and use the (cycle specific) lights at B to cross both lanes of traffic onto Lupus street which has a cycle lane. You then rejoin Millbank at C, at a set of traffic lights shared with cars.

Street view doesn't show the new scheme at B yet but it's pretty good. Lupus St is a bit rubbish but it's still easier than turning left as you exit the bridge going north.

Going North then West, I tend to either use Lupus St, or if it's quiet, cross at the south end of Vauxhall Bridge (from the MI6 building to Pret) where there's a pretty good crossing and then join the main lanes of traffic on the bridge going North.

Coming from the East and going South, I ignore Lupus St and if the lights are red pull into the ASL to turn right, or if the lights are green treat it as a two phase turn by crossing Vauxhall Bridge Road on Millbank as if going straight on, then pulling in at the cycle track and waiting for the lights to change before heading south.

It's all much better than it was before (especially in heavy traffic), and only temporary while they redesign the whole area to make it better for bikes and pedestrians: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/vauxhall-cross

Zipperhead

« Reply #9 on: 26 November, 2015, 06:40:37 pm »
I think the intended route is this one:

http://imgur.com/nFv5FED

You join the segregated cycle track at A by (from the right lane) turning right into it at the traffic island. There are then lights protecting you as you cross the other carriageway and the segregated track continues onto the bridge.

If you were a car and trying to get onto the bridge from A you'd have to go all the way around the gyratory (which includes at least three sets of lights - from A turn left, under the bridge, turn right, right again onto Parry Street, right again, then finally left onto the bridge) so I don't think this is too bad.

At the north end of the bridge you are meant to cross and use the (cycle specific) lights at B to cross both lanes of traffic onto Lupus street which has a cycle lane. You then rejoin Millbank at C, at a set of traffic lights shared with cars.

Street view doesn't show the new scheme at B yet but it's pretty good. Lupus St is a bit rubbish but it's still easier than turning left as you exit the bridge going north.

Going North then West, I tend to either use Lupus St, or if it's quiet, cross at the south end of Vauxhall Bridge (from the MI6 building to Pret) where there's a pretty good crossing and then join the main lanes of traffic on the bridge going North.

Coming from the East and going South, I ignore Lupus St and if the lights are red pull into the ASL to turn right, or if the lights are green treat it as a two phase turn by crossing Vauxhall Bridge Road on Millbank as if going straight on, then pulling in at the cycle track and waiting for the lights to change before heading south.

It's all much better than it was before (especially in heavy traffic), and only temporary while they redesign the whole area to make it better for bikes and pedestrians: https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/vauxhall-cross

The intended route might be that one, but....

The right turn at the lights is going to be tight (with another right turn immediately afterwards), in rush hour space could be tight, or if traffic is coming up behind. If any thought had been given to cyclists wanting to turn right there, then either a turnoff should have been put on the left, or on the right there's a big section of dropped curb before the lights which could have been taken over to join the bicycle lane. Also, it should have been signposted.

If the designers had intended cyclists to go up and around Lupus Street, then that should be communicated via signposts rather than thought transfer, which seems to have failed. Also, why would cyclists go round Lupus Street rather than turning left onto Grosvenor Street?

Unless you are going in the Oval/Pimlico direction (or the other way), it seems badly designed and the plans for Vauxhall Cross doesn't change that.

« Reply #10 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:22:14 am »
Also, it should have been signposted.

By law all signposts in London must be placed at least 5 feet after they would have been useful :-)

The much bigger problem is that Google Maps bike navigation is rubbish and routinely tries to take you on impossible and/or dangerous routes - partly because DPS doesn't have the resolution to know if you are in the bike lane or on the main carriage way so doesn't know where the turnings are.