Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo, 4th/5th July 2020  (Read 3029 times)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
Re: Dunwich Dynamo, 4th/5th July 2020
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2019, 11:01:15 am »
It would knock off 11 miles - the entire "boy racer" stretch that goes through Epping Forest as well as cutting out that rather daunting roundabout where the route crosses the North Circular.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • . . cyclist, Cytech accredited
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2019, 11:12:06 am »
It would knock off 11 miles - the entire "boy racer" stretch that goes through Epping Forest as well as cutting out that rather daunting roundabout where the route crosses the North Circular.

Thanks - that roundabout at The Waterworks has/did have quite widely spaced cattle grids which were always interesting on a bike!   I'm tempted to do the run again this year having done it in the old C+ days in 2003, but with the Epping train option this time. 

I used to live at Buckhurst Hill in the 1950s and then again in the 1970s - it was the area between there and Epping and into the forst that was my cycling playground, the Dun Run route crosses the end of our road shortly before the Warren Wood PH and the start of the wooded section through Epping Forest.  Lapsing into nostalgia, one of my daughters was born at the hospital in Epping, again on the route.

Rob

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2019, 06:48:52 am »
it's not compulsory to use that cycle path. every time i go that way (last time was today) i ride on the road which is my preference. the cycle path has advantages in several places where it bypasses traffic lights.
It's not compulsory but the East Lahndon drivers were doing their best to make it so with abuse and punishment passes.  A fight nearly broke out at one point when one of the cyclists remonstrated with the occupants of a dark blue car.  I tend to assume people round there are tooled up, too.
Never tell me the odds.

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2020, 08:27:17 am »
Southwark Cyclists' coach tickets are now available: https://southwarkcyclists.org.uk/product/dunwich-dynamo-xxviii-4-5-july-2020/,
early bird tickets are £26.99.

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2020, 10:56:26 am »
I used that once and my bike got away with minimal damage.  My mate's bike, which had been immaculate (I built it for him last April using a freshly re-enamelled frame) was pretty trashed; paint scrapes, decals torn, nice aluminium mudguards bent all over the place.  I wouldn't risk it except with a real beater.  They literally use the bottom bikes as ladders to place the top ones.
Never tell me the odds.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2020, 11:45:43 am »
I used that once and my bike got away with minimal damage.  My mate's bike, which had been immaculate (I built it for him last April using a freshly re-enamelled frame) was pretty trashed; paint scrapes, decals torn, nice aluminium mudguards bent all over the place.  I wouldn't risk it except with a real beater.  They literally use the bottom bikes as ladders to place the top ones.

Echo that.  Far more pleasant to ride to Ipswich and get the train - although in recent years you've, theoretically*, had to book your space.

* I did that that last time but arrived in time for an earlier train and was waved on to that.
Between the Disney abattoir and the chemical refinery

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2020, 11:54:28 am »
If I do it again this year I'll take light camping gear & kip locally overnight before getting a train back on the Monday. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 03:55:59 pm »
If I do it again this year I'll take light camping gear & kip locally overnight before getting a train back on the Monday.

That's a very good way of doing it. Also, cycling back down the coast to Southend over 2 days, using 4 ferries, works well.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2020, 09:46:54 pm »
A former cow-orker arranges a coach from Swindon to London Fields and then back from Dunwich to Swindon.  It's reassuringly expensive but it's by far the easiest option I've ever had.  Apart from the first year, when I got the train, used the Southwark Cyclists coach and generally had a nightmare getting home, I was always picked up from the beach by my father-in-law.  Although he's now my father-out-law, he'd probably still be willing to do it.  Unfortunately he's approaching 80 and now lives near the Scottish border.  So that's out.
Never tell me the odds.