Author Topic: Any other T1 diabetic YACFers out there?  (Read 4470 times)

Chris S

Re: Any other T1 diabetic YACFers out there?
« Reply #25 on: 28 December, 2015, 05:01:00 pm »
Obviously, as an IT bod, I know nothing about Dr Stuff, but from what I've read, T2 is nearly completely manageable with diet. T1 - not so sure, but probably manageable with diet.

Are you diabetic?
Nope. Probably more by luck than anything else - I have several other metabolic syndrome characteristics.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #26 on: 28 December, 2015, 06:00:18 pm »

Are you on basal/bosal insulin?

You mean bolus. Yep.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #27 on: 28 December, 2015, 06:37:39 pm »

You mean bolus. Yep.

Did you do the dafne course?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #28 on: 28 December, 2015, 06:39:48 pm »
Obviously, as an IT bod, I know nothing about Dr Stuff, but from what I've read, T2 is nearly completely manageable with diet. T1 - not so sure, but probably manageable with diet.

Are you diabetic?
Nope. Probably more by luck than anything else - I have several other metabolic syndrome characteristics.
Don't know if that makes you lucky or unlucky.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #29 on: 28 December, 2015, 09:05:40 pm »

You mean bolus. Yep.

Did you do the dafne course?

I did it. Forgotten most of it. I still do the carb counting to some extent but I'm not the most cautious diabetic. If I'm honest I'd say I throw caution to the wind more often than is healthy.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #30 on: 29 December, 2015, 07:59:21 am »
T1 = not at all manageable with diet, always requires insulin.  Basically autoimmune, pancreas either completely or partially FUBAR'd in response to an external trigger and then the body attacking it, flu in my case.

T2 = possibly manageable by diet, possibly requiring insulin, possibly reversible.  Generally pancreas overworked and not producing enough insulin to cope with diet, or body not utilising insulin effectively

But definitely looking forward to the time when I can have an automatic artificial pancreas to detect blood glucose and then administer either insulin, or the opposing hormone automatically

You may not longer be a diabetic afterwards.  Has happened to two people I know.

Firstly can we get the language right, if you are getting told type 1 and type 2 it is not so clear cut as that.

I kept it simple quite deliberately. Yes I am aware of the multitudes of diabetes, but yes, I am definitely T1, although still producing some insulin of my own.

There are constant debates as to whether  T1/T2 need to be revised as designations. What's your experience with the condition?   

And yes, I have heard of Bernstein
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens