Author Topic: Ridgeback World Panorama Delux #2 ''OLIVE''  (Read 17580 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Re: Ridgeback World Panorama Delux #2 ''OLIVE''
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2019, 09:54:08 pm »
IMG_0801 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_0800 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Yet another modification.  I have used drop bars for prob 18 years, but in all that time, with 3 different bikes, I can not stop fettleing, moving this , swapping that , even mid ride, I have even  taken a spare stem to try. Yet, every MTB I have owned ( 3 different ones) all have a similar set up, with lowish bars, bar ends, thumb shifters, an a long stem. Once set up, I never touch them to alter anything. Sooo, 6 am on a Sunday morning I thought I'd try an experiment, and 7.30 am, armed with a mug of tea, I was in the shed, pulling Olive to bits. Basically I stripped my Rocky Mountain MTB, that I just never use any more, and is 15 years old, and 'borrowed' the flat bars (actually Saracen bars, from a 'Traverse' c.1992),  XT 7 speed thumbshifters, now in index mode, as the rear block is only 7 speed  ;D ,  Onza bar ends, and a longer stem. Also swapped are the brakes.............shimano hydraulic disc calipers, superb stoppers, and put the cable operated Spyres in the dark place.  So far , so good, set up is almost the same as my Saracen  from 25 years ago.  I seem to have much more power in my legs, with this set up, and its faster, as the bar ends are flat, I can rest my hand on them, with my wrist on the hb grip, elbows pointing in, (Obree style) and can spin up much faster. Seems a much more natural position for me. Time will tell tho.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2019, 05:39:31 pm »
IMG_1059 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Taken a day or so ago, Olive, just shy of 23,000 km.   

« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2019, 05:55:24 pm »
Funny place to leave a pumpkin :)
Back to drop bars though?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2019, 07:17:12 pm »
Funny place to leave a pumpkin :)
Back to drop bars though?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Indeed, the flat bars lasted about 2 weeks, gave my wrists a right old workout,  they did. !

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2020, 11:30:27 pm »
Finding agricultural produce now!
Days become simply the spaces between dreams, spaces between the shifting floors of time...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:20 pm »
IMG_1195 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_1196 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Ooppss!!  Out for a 'bit of ruff' t'smornin'  and whallop.   made I skid to a halt, it did. lucky I was only tickling along at walking pace.  Also ,  showing my bald patch!!.

BUT..............................

IMG_1198 by mark tilley, on Flickr

IMG_1199 by mark tilley, on Flickr

dahdah!!   as if by magic, I raided the stores cpd, where I had a new spare set, for just such an occasion.

Incidentally, I often wondered why 1950's, 60's and 70's bikes had a shorter rear mudguard, than is the current fashion.  Then i realised after watching the 'cyclist special' video,  that they used 'rubber covered hooks' on trains. So when the bike was ' up--ended' ready to lift on t'hook, the shorter rear mudguard would not get broken, likewise when wheeling through narrow gates, with the bike upright on its back wheel.   This was back in the day when folks 'rough stuffed' on touring bikes, you know when men were men and sheep were gl.......,  long time ago. well 'Olive' gets the same treatment, and is gainig some 'patina' already.

Anyway, these original mudguards were about 6 years old,having been on 2 bikes, with about 40,000km on them, and  copious amounts of ruff stuff, including 3 winter hostelling ruff stuff weekends.  I only replaced the rear,  cut it short to match the old one, drilled thro and re-used the old 70's Blumels reflector, even re-used the original stays and bolts, for authenticity.  better buy another 'spare pair'.

ps......after much, much googling, just bought a spare set from 'Just Pedal NL'  £32 posted from Dutchland. probably the last pair in the whole wide world.!