Author Topic: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread  (Read 452619 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The "I'm Such a Fecking Div" Thread
« Reply #2125 on: 24 September, 2020, 11:04:05 am »
Yesterday: Chamfered the end of a bit of wood the lazy way, using the disc of the bench sander.  Circumstances obliged me to hold it against the rising side of the disc, impatience meant that I pushed it in too hard. Natural prudence meant that the flying dust & bits of red-hot abrasive didn't get past my safety glasses; Sod's Law/Nemesis meant that they went down inside my shirt instead and burned, burned, burned. Boo-hoo.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2126 on: 24 September, 2020, 02:09:50 pm »
Related: Never catch a dropped smouldering iron.  Or walk barefoot around one that's in use at floor level.

Yesterday's lesson: Do not drip molten solder on your hand.

J

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2127 on: 24 September, 2020, 02:10:38 pm »
Yesterday: Chamfered the end of a bit of wood the lazy way, using the disc of the bench sander.  Circumstances obliged me to hold it against the rising side of the disc, impatience meant that I pushed it in too hard. Natural prudence meant that the flying dust & bits of red-hot abrasive didn't get past my safety glasses; Sod's Law/Nemesis meant that they went down inside my shirt instead and burned, burned, burned. Boo-hoo.

Yeah, when they land in one's cleavage, it hurts... I really should stop wearing low cut tops in the workshop...

J
--

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2128 on: 24 September, 2020, 02:14:25 pm »

Gosh, wheelchairs as empowering not 'binding' as in 'wheelchair-bound'. SHOCKER.

An abled will be along shortly to tell you how wrong you are, you POOR thing *snerk*.

A few years ago, I spent 4 weeks in a Wheelchair. That was truly enlightening. I've moaned on here before about the block paving the Dutch use on their streets, and how uncomfortable it can be on a bike. Well in a wheel chair, yeaks... As for accessibility in general... well...

I know I occasionally make ablest slip ups, but it really has changed how I view the world.

J
--

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #2129 on: 24 September, 2020, 05:30:50 pm »

It was truly a ring of fire  ;D

Mine's the blue fleece in the corner
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2130 on: 26 September, 2020, 09:58:16 pm »
As the Travelling Comedy Crip Trio, a few years ago, we had fairly complementary enabling equipment and faculties.

My wheelchair acted as a walking frame and crutch carrier for LWaB, who could only partially weight bear but he could act as Barry's eyes and guide...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2131 on: 26 September, 2020, 10:01:59 pm »
You know that special sequence of button pushes that erases all data on your cycle computer? The one you can never remember because you'll never need it? Well, I still don't know what it is for mine but I did it yesterday. About 35,000km over 7 or 8 years erased. But you know? It doesn't matter. Oh, you knew that already.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2132 on: 26 September, 2020, 11:42:40 pm »
You know that special sequence of button pushes that erases all data on your cycle computer? The one you can never remember because you'll never need it? Well, I still don't know what it is for mine but I did it yesterday. About 35,000km over 7 or 8 years erased. But you know? It doesn't matter. Oh, you knew that already.  :thumbsup:

It's in the manual next to the invocation for setting the odometer to an arbitrary value.

Yeah, the one that got nibbled by meece before being leaked on by a car battery and chucked during the last house-move.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2133 on: 27 September, 2020, 01:08:24 am »
It's in the manual next to the invocation for setting the odometer to an arbitrary value.
Yeah, the one that got nibbled by meece before being leaked on by a car battery and chucked during the last house-move.

I just wonder if your computer did something akin to what my primitive gadget did when I did Audax. It reset everything when a ride exceeded 100,000 seconds, which was a pain on a 600km ride...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2134 on: 27 September, 2020, 08:55:21 am »
Bloody cold here so I kept the workshop door & windows shut yesterday while I diluted varnish with white spirit and spent half an hour putting the first coat on a couple of square metres of wall panelling, then washed out the brush in more white spirit.  Low-level headache and queasy gut since. Eejit.

♫ Nights in white spirit...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2135 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:11:44 pm »
At significant cost (£30) I ordered a NOS RH axle assembly from Germany for an M737 SPD pedal.  These are a bit cult in working order.

The axle unit is the same in the A525, which is totally unloved and almost worthless.  For £30, I could have bought four pairs of A525s and stripped them for parts.  Bearing damage in SPDs is quite rare, even less so on road pedals that were probably only used for a couple of years  :facepalm:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2136 on: 27 September, 2020, 09:33:35 pm »

I just wonder if your computer did something akin to what my primitive gadget did when I did Audax. It reset everything when a ride exceeded 100,000 seconds, which was a pain on a 600km ride...
100,000 seconds! But that's nearly for ever! Well, okay, it's a bit more than a day... No, it didn't do anything, I did the magic accidental button press – at least, I'm pretty sure I did – and I still have the manual somewhere, but really, it's not important enough. I might as well just make up a new number, maybe 999,999.99!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2137 on: 27 September, 2020, 10:01:27 pm »
A little under 28 hours is easily done on Audax...

« Reply #2138 on: 08 October, 2020, 03:23:01 pm »
The ride back from work was interesting yesterday, the job I was doing had taken longer than planned so I didn't set off till half five. Which was fine but by Middle Farm it was starting to get a bit dusky, so I stopped to turn my rear light on.

To find I'd pinched the batteries for a different light which was at home on my desk. I did try knocking on one of the houses there but they had loads of AAs but no AAAs. So I started racing the darkness to Berwick but it quickly got too dark to be safe.

Ended up bodging my spare front light onto the sadlle pointing backwards - not ideal but I think better than no light. Luckily it was only a 15 minute wait for a train at Berwick given there's only one train an hour at times.

Doubly annoying as I nearly took some spare batteries but a) I expected to be leaving by four at the latest and ii) I knew the batteries in the light were practically unused. If I'd realised before leaving work I'd have been ok too as we buy them by the hundred.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2139 on: 09 October, 2020, 01:31:40 pm »
Stuck a screwdriver into the palm of my hand opening a tin of varnish. Jeez, what a twat.

andytheflyer

• Andytheex-flyer.....
« Reply #2140 on: 09 October, 2020, 06:01:26 pm »
Stuck a screwdriver into the palm of my hand opening a tin of varnish. Jeez, what a twat.
Earlier today my wife brought me two of her watches that needed batteries.  I happen to have a load of these - having recently had to buy 10 in a pack to change the batteries in my 2 classic Triumph motorcycle handlebar clocks.  I knew they'd come in handy.

Managed to prise up one easily with a Stanley knife blade.  Battery swapped, all good.  Brownie Points earned.

The next one was more tricky, the harder I tried to insert said knife blade.... and you know what's coming next.....

Yup, I downed tools, deciding that the one working watch would keep her happy whilst I ordered the correct tools off Fleabay for about a fiver.

ian

« Reply #2141 on: 09 October, 2020, 08:30:24 pm »
Chopping away at leeks, carrots, celery, garlic, potato for a slow-cooked white wine and tarragon casserole (currently stewing away). Having finished the chopping, I scooped it all into the food waste bin.

At least it was an empty bag.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2142 on: 10 October, 2020, 12:27:19 pm »
The coffee will be tastier and more satisfying iffen you remember to put the water in the 'ole, water for the pouring in rather than just leaving it in the jug.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #2143 on: 16 October, 2020, 08:18:30 pm »
Ordered new tyres and inner tubes. Paid extra for delivery because I have an opportunity to ride my bike tomorrow.

Nothing. Grumble.

Go online to check, plugin tracking number. Delivered and signed for. Unfortunately at an address I lived at several years ago. Not entire divvery on my part, what happened was that I put in my address, then it offered me to opportunity to create an account. Ah, but I have an account. Request password, log back in, click checkout.

I guess it's been a while since I bought something from there. Divvery on account I didn't read the order confirmation email. I'm not optimistic I'll see that order again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2144 on: 20 October, 2020, 08:57:16 pm »
Brought barakta's glasses up the stairs with arms full of other things, so put them on.  Big mistake.  She has a much stronger prescription than me and weird prism shit that means it's not just out of focus, but the parallax is unpleasantly like being drunk.

Closed eyes and finished climbing stairs by muscle-memory, to avoid an embarrassing accident.

« Reply #2145 on: 20 October, 2020, 09:01:59 pm »
Brought barakta's glasses up the stairs with arms full of other things, so put them on.  Big mistake.  She has a much stronger prescription than me and weird prism shit that means it's not just out of focus, but the parallax is unpleasantly like being drunk.

Closed eyes and finished climbing stairs by muscle-memory, to avoid an embarrassing accident.

_Arthur Dent_ "What's so unpleasant about being drunk ?"

_Ford Prefect_  "Ask a glass of water".
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2146 on: 22 October, 2020, 02:09:33 pm »
Left our free-flu-vaccine authorisations on the kitchen table a couple of weeks back, thinking that MrsT would take charge of them (she has in earlier years). Turns out she thought that I would and now we can't find them. Somehow or other this is my fault...

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #2147 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:03:01 pm »
Mrs Tween got something on one of our pizza trays a while back that turned into immovable brown goop just like the stuff that accumulates on oven shelves.  So a couple of days ago I popped it into a bag with the dregs from a bottle of Oven Pride, sealed it and left it to it.  It took the brown goop off a treat  :thumbsup:  Along with most of the non-stick coating  :facepalm:
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #2148 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:13:19 pm »
It is usually a good idea to put the jug into the filter coffee maker before turning it on.
Going back to bed to wait for the coffee to brew does not help the situation.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2149 on: 24 October, 2020, 01:21:21 pm »
Clocks change and time to fit the Raceblades to the Ti road machine ready for winter - the rubber straps are long gone so it's cable ties . . . .  putting a tie around the fork, the Raceblade clip and a spoke wasn't the best method  ???  (at least I hadn't pulled the tie up tight before I noticed  :thumbsup:)