Author Topic: Smart bikes  (Read 1510 times)

Smart bikes
« on: July 21, 2016, 10:23:13 am »
Interesting bikes.

I like the integrated lights, lock and e assist for those who want / need it.  I have often wondered by manufacturers don't stick a front light integrated into a stem but I hadn't even considered the potential of top tube integration of features.

Cudzoziemiec

• Solar powered, tea fuelled cycle-wol
Re: Smart bikes
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 08:14:43 pm »
I've seen photos of them, or something v similar with light integrated into an extension of the top tube, being ridden in Holland. I think they're fugly to the max! Ebikes are really taking off though – I've even seen what looked like an electric downhill MTB, with battery integrated into the down tube, but most of them seem to be of the utility/commuter variety. Assist over 15mph is illegal in UK though (not sure if this is UK or EU law) but I can't imagine there's any enforcement at POS let alone OTR.
The earth is vast and beautiful and contains many miraculous places. (Chekhov)

Kim

• 2nd in the world
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:22:55 pm »
Assist over 15mph is illegal in UK though (not sure if this is UK or EU law)

Both.  The UK rules have been harmonised with the rest of the EU, but existing bikes conforming to the old regs are still allowed.  (Speed limit the same anyway, but slightly different rules on throttles and power limits.)

but I can't imagine there's any enforcement at POS let alone OTR.

I reckon the "don't be a cockwomble / crash into anyone" rule pretty much applies.
To ride the Windcheetah, first, you must embrace the cantilever...

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 07:44:07 am »
I'm surprised how reasonably priced these are, all things considered. Good development!