Author Topic: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition  (Read 41116 times)

Re: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition
« Reply #175 on: 13 September, 2016, 05:54:11 pm »
Those write-ups certainly give a vivid picture of the event.

I had fanciful ideas of taking part to complete my first SR in my first year. But after scraping in with only 24 minutes to spare on my only 400, and having knee issues ever since, I think I made the sensible decision to leave it for another year.

Congratulations to all who took part.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #176 on: 13 September, 2016, 07:34:39 pm »
Enjoyed reading your write up.. reminded me of the ride .. just when i was trying to forget it !!

I'm sure you'll be pining to ride again soon.

Thank's for the drink at the finish, it went down extremely well, it seemed to finish Oaky off for the evening rather nicely though.

You had sneaked away when I came back outside to celebrate your temporary retirement, so best wishes until the next time.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #177 on: 13 September, 2016, 07:47:20 pm »
That was a good ride report Oaky, it sums the spirit of the ride up nicely. Thank you for dragging me back from Chatteris at a good pace and sorry for the wingeing as we neared the finish, I'm used to scampering back from Saffron down the main road when I can smell a beer at the arrivée. The scenic route in the dark seemed interminable.

Have you forgotton about the near miss with the badger?

You'd clearly given your all as you demonstrated at the finish in the pub, glad you're well enough to enjoy reminiscing about the ride now.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #178 on: 13 September, 2016, 08:13:31 pm »
That was a good ride report Oaky, it sums the spirit of the ride up nicely. Thank you for dragging me back from Chatteris at a good pace and sorry for the wingeing as we neared the finish, I'm used to scampering back from Saffron down the main road when I can smell a beer at the arrivée. The scenic route in the dark seemed interminable.

Have you forgotton about the near miss with the badger?

You'd clearly given your all as you demonstrated at the finish in the pub, glad you're well enough to enjoy reminiscing about the ride now.

I'd completely forgotten the badger!

I'm a bit worried that the ride is already seeming like fun when reminiscing.  :o
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #179 on: 13 September, 2016, 08:18:00 pm »
There were some kamikaze rabbits too.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #180 on: 13 September, 2016, 08:33:37 pm »

I'm a bit worried that the ride is already seeming like fun when reminiscing.  :o
[/quote]

I know, amazing, it just seems like a pleasant bimble in the countryside now.

Can't wait for the next one :facepalm:

ChillyPanda

« Reply #181 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:58:20 pm »
Enjoying reading everyone's write-ups.

This was my first 600km. It was hard.

The rain started as a drizzle just as I approached Red Lodge. It turned to proper heavy rain as I left the control after finishing my poached eggs on toast. My body and hands were frozen by the time I arrived at the Boston spoons to the point where I could barely unbuckle my helmet strap. A big plate of Wetherspoons finest lasagne and a mug of hot coffee soon put things right.

I appreciated the company of Jack who chaperoned me from Boston through to the Goole control at McD's, arriving about midnight. His company was a real boost, especially after I'd suffered a puncture. At Goole I really didn't have the appetite for Mcd's food but managed to force down some fries and half a filet-o-fish.

I departed Goole with a small group - Jack, The Straggler, AndyC33 and Bobb (hope I've got the right names!). We were all ready to find accomodation for a quick 40 winks. Jack peeled off before Gainsborough to kip in a park that he'd used last year. The rest of us continued on to the Gainsboorough 24hr garage where we took a break. A very lively and jolly lady arrived from her night out and was interested in who we were and why we were there on bikes at silly o'clock. She wished us well and hoped we'd win! A rider was sprawled out under a black bag next to the counter inside the shop with his bike inside the shop too. I did wonder why he hadn't chosen a more traditional audax hotel, but I've since read on here that he was feeling poorly and had abandoned the event. I hope he's made a good recovery.

Shortly after leaving the garage, either the straggler or Bobb scoped a bus shelter just up on the ridge after Gainsborough. I am a novice at this so was most grateful to them for offering me a space. I think I managed about 10mins sleep but rested the legs for about an hour.

The four of us re-grouped at about 6.30am. Although the weather was great on Sunday, I wasn't feeling strong so was reliant on the other three pulling me all the way to Dunmow. This was interspersed with some coffee and ice-cream breaks. I owe them. Thank you.

Afterthought: yesterday I thought, NEVER again. Today I'm thinking, next year, well maybe!

Thanks to Tomsk, Wilkyboy and all the helpers.

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
« Reply #182 on: 13 September, 2016, 10:01:31 pm »
Oaky, you definitely emptied your tank on the return leg back to Great Dunmow from Chatteris, when I briefly saw you at the finish. I only finished along with Bobb, (AndyC33 &Ian from Stansted Mountfitchet - both 600k 1st timers, so congratulations to both) at approx 21:15 and we left Green Welly cafe at 16:10.  Looking at your times, you must have been riding faster between controls than our group - extra kudos to those riders doing it on a fixie or trikes.  I would'nt have finished within time if I had to ride non - conventional bike.
CCS - Setting the Standards

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #183 on: 13 September, 2016, 11:17:49 pm »
Reading everyone's reports makes me think I missed a cracking type-2 event this year — well done to all of you!  :thumbsup: 

Badgers, doing a Del, kamikaze rabbits, Septuagenarian ultras, bodies in bags ... and a bit of drizzle — you lot really know how to enjoy yourselves  ;)  :thumbsup:

I might step up and re-ride it next year, my fourth — I would hope to do a Flatlander and get back to Cambridge in time for a sleep and some breakfast ... but I'm faced with the reality of an audax hotel before Gainsborough and scraping back just inside the time limit  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #184 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:20:29 am »
I am going to do a more in depth Write up but just a couple of notes.....

I had wheel troubles again. The front due to some bad maintenance meant the wheel came loose on one side (luckily no accident though).

My back tyre separated from the bead. This troubled me from Goole to Cambridge where Wilkyboy came to the rescue!

We also had a badger incident not too far south of Goole. A Badger shot out in front of Benster and I. I has some wiggle room but I reckon Bernsters front tyre might have got a bit of a brush from it's tail!

My Race out tour back strategy worked well. I was glad Sunday was a nice day to go steady!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #185 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:38:22 am »
I actually had some eff ups.

My front light, dynamo driven .. failed .. not attempted to work out why yet..but because I had total faith in it .. I was not carrying any other front light system .. other than a tiny head torch ( which would not have been good enough to light the way ) .. I have little doubt that if it had been dark .. I could have waited for someone to come along .. and they would have been prepared to let me tag along behind. Whether I could have sorted it out at Goole .. or borrowed a spare .. who knows .. because i was rescued before dark by Nik, who when I explained my problem .. let me have 1 of his front lights.

the other eff up .. was at my first puncture, rear wheel of course.. slow one.. ( thx Mel for stopping and offering help) .. but I did not reseat the new inner well .. leading to a second snake bite puncture in the dark.. this took me ages to sort .. as having failed to open the brakes I could not get the rear wheel back in place correctly.. battling away in the dark .. brain dead already .. total frustration .

Then there was the Whittlesea carnival .. at the closed road .. I was directed to go right and first left .. so I set off following the purple line on the gpx.. before after about 1kms or so .. it suddenly dawned on me .. HOLD ON this is the outward track .. and will not take me to Chatteris ..turn round .. and walk the through the large party going on.

As I am still battered and aching .. I suppose the summary has to be .. thank goodness .. that is all over ....  and Ultra is finished with.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #186 on: 14 September, 2016, 10:54:31 am »
I'm also really enjoying the ride reports - keep them coming! I think now that I've ridden a few longer rides, I've stopped saying "never again" whilst riding, as I know full well that the brain has an amazing capacity to forget the bad bits and remember the good, which means that I'll no doubt be signing up for more  :facepalm:

Appreciated the company on the road, initially the ACME peloton to Red Lodge (after we'd helped with the clean up), then Tippers and Paul (first 600k - hope you got round OK) at various stages between Boston and Gainsborough. We were nearly taken out by a suicidal badger at one point, which certainly woke me up for the next hour! I decided to leave the others and have 3 hours kip in an audax hotel on the ridge leading in to Lincoln, but it was fairly fitful sleep as there was enough fast traffic going past to keep waking me up. If I ride again, I would probably do what I did last year and sleep slightly earlier in one of the quieter villages off the main road after Gainsborough. I was certainly glad for my down sleeping bag and ground mat, as it wasn't nearly as warm as forecast, and remained chilly enough for legwarmers until about 10am - although that may just have been due to my slow pace.

Sunday was a stunning day on the bike, and despite the odd bit of headwind, it was a good day to ride in the fens. A large Spoons breakfast and a side of porridge (I didn't manage two of each like Teethgrinder) at Sleaford set me up nicely for the long stage to Chatteris, which I planned to take steadily. Thanks to Smeth and Chris who caught me up at this point, and probably doubled my average speed, providing excellent company all the way back to Dunmow - my legs still haven't fully recovered from the pace you were setting, but I'm sure I'll be stronger for it once they do. Plenty of aerial activity to entertain us around Duxford, then some scenic and slightly lumpy bits after Newport which made up for the fairly busy B road bash and reminded me that I'm definitely better suited to climbing rather than grinding out miles on the flat!

Good to chat to Tomsk and some of the finishers at the Angel and Harp to compare stories. No 600k ride is easy, and there were plenty of low points, but overall a fantastic ride, which I'd thoroughly recommend. Anyone who thinks the ride is going to be boring, because it's flat might be pleasantly surprised if they gave it a go.

Oh, and lastly - does anyone know if broken crank guy finished? I saw him labouring on somewhere after Chatteris pedalling mainly with one leg with some kind of gaffer tape setup holding the other crank together, which didn't look remotely fun.

« Reply #187 on: 14 September, 2016, 02:23:40 pm »
I don't have much to add to the excellent summaries (in which I am proud to feature  :) ) of Carlosfandango, Oaky and ChillyPanda. Their company was much appreciated.

The decisive pace set by the ACME subset on the run back from Chatteris to Dunmow was great to alleviate fears of finishing out of time. I was pretty knackered by that point.

This was my second time riding Flatlands calendar event, and it felt significantly harder than last year (but maybe I've just forgotten!). I upgraded from polythene emergency bivy bag to proper alpkit (numo inflatable and hunka bivy bag) for this year, so my sleep was better, although not much longer. I also lugged a full swedish army trangia kit round just for the purpose of hot coffee and porridge when I woke up. It was great for the 30 minutes I was using it, but at 800g carried for 380 miles, I'm not sure it was worth it!

I'd swear the suicidal badger we intercepted in the lanes not far from Dunmow was actually a fox.

(Two Wetherspoons visited: Boston and Sleaford, so no prizes there)

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #188 on: 14 September, 2016, 05:15:18 pm »
Tomsk is my family social worker.
I'm an Essex boy living in Wessex. The reason Tom's rides start where they do is so I can visit my 98 year old Granny in Bishop's Stortford for Dunmow or my parents in Harwich for Manningtree. Thanks Tom.
He also does bike marriage counselling. The big ring sulks when I only engage it at the top of Dorset hills just to freewheel the descent before downshifting again. So it was good to spend two days quality time together.

Some random observations:
1.) Really enjoyed riding with Smeth, plus Marlon for some of the Northbound and Alan (Bernster) for most of the Southbound. Three seems the perfect number for sharing the headwind work, for being flexible about hedge and SPAR stops, and for traffic to pass easily. At the back of bigger groups cars are always snarling at your ankles.
2.) Spotting a distant rider in red and deciding to catch him as a distraction from the rainstorm is a nice idea but I went eyeballs out for fen after fen and wasn't getting closer. The red guy looked to be riding within himself, at a slow cadence. Why weren't we catching him? By the time we did I was cream crackered. It was Teethgrinder. 'Riders ahead may be much stronger than they appear.'
3.) Audax hotels are OK in the dry but when you're damp any hotel 'vaut le detour'. A hot shower then rolling your stuff up in towels and walking on it to dry it, followed by a few hours sleep and a 4.30 am cup of tea and hotel biscuits in bed is 7 star luxury. Thank you the Becket Arms east of Gainsborough.
4.) The fens were nowhere near as monotonous as people made out. There were several kinds of cabbage, kale.....

I've now done an Essex SR but over two years. If I aim for one next year can I count LEL (starts and finishes in Essex) as my 600?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #189 on: 14 September, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »
I've now done an Essex SR but over two years. If I aim for one next year can I count LEL (starts and finishes in Essex) as my 600?

...We had the great LEL/Essex SR debate four years ago! Not an Essex event as such [though it starts in the county in 2017], but spends a bit of time bisecting the county on the way back: the entire field cursing the monster Essex Alps  ;D

Hmmm...I suspect folk are looking for an excuse not to ride the Flatlands again! I think I'll have to allow it this time, at least for riders who come all the way from Wessex to be numbered among the legends that are Essex Super Randonneurs.  ;D

Chris F.cc

• Rapha tart
« Reply #190 on: 14 September, 2016, 05:53:35 pm »
^^ Thanks Tom!  :)

Phil W

« Reply #191 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:12:21 pm »
Tom do you have an outline date for the Flatlands 600 next year?

StevieB

• I'm an embarrassment to my bicycle!
« Reply #192 on: 16 September, 2016, 01:46:38 pm »
Epilogue: Doing a Del ;)

Not the full 'Del' but confess I felt a bit faint while walking into the chippy after the finish - probably lack of sleep as much as anything.

Perhaps the event should be rechristened "The Flatliners"
It may be self-flagellation, but it still hurts

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #193 on: 16 September, 2016, 01:53:39 pm »
Perhaps the event should be rechristened "The Flatliners"

Tom runs that as a permanent — you get to ride on your own for 42 hours (14.3km min speed) and then flatline it at the end with nobody else watching  ;)
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Phil W

« Reply #194 on: 16 September, 2016, 02:50:15 pm »
To misquote a movie.

In Flatlands no one hears you scream.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #195 on: 16 September, 2016, 03:44:03 pm »
To misquote a movie.

In Flatlands no one hears you scream.

Or the dull thud as you drop unconscious to the floor  ;D

« Reply #196 on: 16 September, 2016, 04:23:33 pm »
I first rode the Flatlands a couple of years ago, my first season of audaxing and indeed my first 600km. I got in with the wrong fast crowd at the start that time and hung on as best I could. I'd brought a bivvi bag, but never used it, a 15 minute nap on the petrol station shop floor at Sleaford was all I got. This (lack of) plan got me through to Chatteris by dawn where my body finally refused to cooperate any longer and the drag back through Saffron Walden was some of the most miserable riding I've ever done. I loved it, I hated it, I knew I could improve on this first experience.

Fast forward a couple of years and I'm back to have another go, this time riding fixed gear. I've got a rough plan this time, no sleep again, so no hotel booked and not carrying any sleeping bag / bivvi either. Just going to ride fast, try not to spend too long off the bike and hopefully I can get round quicker than last time too! I started riding fixed at the end of the last season, seeing it as a new challenge to keep my riding exciting and to get another badge of course! I've been riding a 73" gear for most of this summer, but that's included some fairly hilly excursions, so I changed up to 78" for this ride, the first long ride I'll have done on the higher gear, though it's not a huge step up.

The other change from my last attempt is that I stayed in a local hotel beforehand rather than in the hall. I didn't get a great night's sleep last time and that's definitely not a good way to start a sleepless 600! I felt more rested at the start, though still not as much as I'd like. It'll have to do and I'm still glad I went for the hotel option this time.

So, on to this year's ride. Starting in the middle of the group, I soon worked my way up to the front again, I was hoping to find a similarly paced group to share the work with, but ended up on my own from about 7km. Checking the speed/HR display occasionally and telling myself "slow down, take it easy", the legs had other ideas. Eventually I sighted another rider in the distance and alternate between trying to catch up and trying not to ride to hard. We're approaching Red Lodge now and I've almost caught them as they turn off down a bridleway/track shortcut and I roll on knowing the control isn't even open yet, so there's no rush! The sun is still shining.

Being early to the café means I've got a few minutes to chat to the other rider, Chris, and to Nick before he starts stamping cards. I was planning to bounce Red Lodge and push on. The first few drops of rain fall, we take shelter as best we can under an awning since the café isn't even open yet. Noting that if we continue at this pace, we'll be at Whittlesey before the control opens, I make provisional plans to eat there first and get a second receipt before I leave.

Card stamped, gilet on to keep the worst of the rain off but not overheat and we're away again. Nobody else has arrived at Red Lodge yet so it's just the two of us. We ride together for a bit, comparing luggage options and handlebars. I have bullhorns and aeros on the Pompino, it's a bit of an unusual choice on a ride like this but works well for me. Having broken my wrist earlier in the year, being able to take the weight off my hands is invaluable.

I soon get my head down low and power off into the rain, leaving Chris behind and knowing that there's nobody ahead of me now. Thankfully the wind's mostly behind me and the rain isn't hitting me in the face. I'm glad I fitted my new mudguards, I had a pair of Gilles Berthoud stainless steel 'guards sat in the shed for over a year, just waiting to be fitted. The rain persists mostly, and eases up only as I get to Whittlesey about 10 minutes before the control opens. Really need to slow down a bit and save something for later! I take the chance to stop for a sandwich, then pop back into the shop for some sweets and a valid receipt.

The rain comes and goes as I push on, stopping only briefly in Boston for an ATM receipt. The ride on to Kirton-in-Lindsay seems to take forever, the wind seems to have turned against me now, it's hard work and I start to wish that I'd made a proper stop, but I still end up making good time and quickly refuel in Kirton before pushing on again. The rain has stopped now, the wind has eased and the sky is brightening, so the final stage on up to Goole is rather pleasant and my spirits are certainly lifting as I realise that I'm already over half way round.

I arrive in Goole at 6pm in sunshine. This feels good! ;D I decide to treat myself to a hot meal from McD's as this is what I seem to be craving and have my first coffee since leaving the hotel this morning (though I have been putting caffeinated tablets in my water all day). The staff are very interested to hear where I've ridden from and, realising that I'm part of *that* ride, they make plans to ensure they have lots of staff on later. I pop over to the petrol station for a few provisions before leaving Goole and bump into Chris, who's just arriving. He's seen a couple of riders going the other way as he's come in, so I wish him luck and press on again in the hope of some company for the night stretch.

The legs were a bit stiff after stopping at Goole and I never did catch anyone up. By the time I was approaching Gainsborough, the temperature was starting to drop and I was slowing down. I had a quick stop at Gainsborough to eat a little and put on some extra layers, but soon pressed on for Sleaford before I got any colder from standing around. I'd already planned to ride around the middle of Lincoln to avoid the cobbles and to press on down the A15 taking me straight to the 24h petrol station. The climb out of Lincoln proved a little too much for my now tired legs and this ended up being the only section I had to walk. I wasn't getting any warmer though.

At Sleaford I stopped for a hot coffee and a sandwich in an effort to warm up a bit and try to get myself going again. I put on my waterproof too, to keep the wind out. A new bag of liquorice allsorts in the jersey pocket, extra provisions in the bag for the Chatteris control, and I was ready to go again. Still cold though and the temperature was gradually falling, I was slow and getting sleepy too. I had to stop regularly to stop myself from falling asleep on the bike and I hit a pothole in the dark shortly after Whittlesey that left me with a sudden flat tyre. The break while I fixed it actually seemed to help.

Arriving at Chatteris in the middle of the night, everything was shut. The first cash machine I found wouldn't let me print a balance or mini-statement. The next bank I found had no ATMs. Eventually I found a closed petrol station with an ATM in the forecourt and got a receipt there. Phew. I was really starting to worry that I wouldn't be able to get any proof of passage.

The last stretch is hard work, the guided bus way is shut and I detour around without looking at a map, not wanting to lose time, just hoping I can find the way. I pass a few dead-end signs but the road looks vaguely familiar and I think this is the route I rode two years ago, so I keep going. Terrible road but it gets me back on course, thank goodness. The final drag over the hills into Dunmow is bearable, the sun is coming up and shining in my eyes, which only makes this harder, but at least it's warming up! I finally get into Dunmow and grab an ATM receipt before the Angel & Harp opens.

Finally, I wander around town for a bit, finding a shop for a recovery milkshake and pork pie, then head on down to the Angel & Harp for a proper breakfast. I've done it, completed the Flatlands, and another SR, my first fixed SR, in the process. It's been a bit antisocial this time around and a tough night ride, but I made it!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #197 on: 16 September, 2016, 04:58:15 pm »
Blimey!  Are you the bloke wot won?

« Reply #198 on: 16 September, 2016, 05:26:39 pm »
Hey! That implies the rest of us lost. Was he the first one back, you mean. I've lost races and time trials (never won), and seen others treat club rides and sportives as races. "If you want to race, enter a race, don't blast the club ride" has been heard many a time :-)
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #199 on: 16 September, 2016, 05:30:45 pm »
Hey! That implies the rest of us lost. Was he the first one back, you mean. I've lost races and time trials (never won), and seen others treat club rides and sportives as races. "If you want to race, enter a race, don't blast the club ride" has been heard many a time :-)

It's entirely possible that I'm being a little mischievous  ;D