Author Topic: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition  (Read 41127 times)

Re: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition
« Reply #25 on: 23 August, 2016, 12:28:48 pm »
My name is down too. All being well this will be the tenth year of SRs .. starting when I was 65.... unusual.. certainly ...... unique .. maybe

Stone the crows. I never think of you as anything more than 70.  It will be an honour to be on the same event as you score you're 10th SR.

Can't think of many riding a SR at 65 years old plus 10 of SRs.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #26 on: 23 August, 2016, 01:40:59 pm »
First year of Audaxing and going for my SR by completing this one...hopefully. Torn on the accommodation question though. Recently did the National 400k and felt reasonably Ok at the end. Was thinking I could have a small nap at the roadside (maybe a couple of naps) to see me through. Any advice from old hands on this? I'm not a fast rider so not sure I'd get my money's worth from a TL booking :P

Phil W

« Reply #27 on: 23 August, 2016, 02:29:18 pm »
First year of Audaxing and going for my SR by completing this one...hopefully. Torn on the accommodation question though. Recently did the National 400k and felt reasonably Ok at the end. Was thinking I could have a small nap at the roadside (maybe a couple of naps) to see me through. Any advice from old hands on this? I'm not a fast rider so not sure I'd get my money's worth from a TL booking :P

I have yet to manage to cycle without sleep on a 600.  I was going to try it on the Windsor Chester Windsor 600 last year but when the heavy rain started I just decided to get my head down for a few hours at a control.  I always cycle straight through on a 400 with a small amount of dozies right at the end.  I've come to the conclusion that 3 hours sleep is about optimum for me on 600's and above. It gives a good balance between being rested and keeping a good time buffer for the subsequent day ahead.

If it were me I'd book the hotel.  The chance to take my cycling kit off, grab a shower, then jump into bed for a few quality hours is good value for money in my opinion. Others may advise taking a silver foil blanket (I carry one of those anyway) or riding straight through.  Both equally valid it really depends on how the lack of sleep plus all day riding affects you, which you aren't likely to have a full handle on yet.  I'm crap without my sleep.

simonp

« Reply #28 on: 23 August, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
I'm thinking of doing this, despite hating flat 600s.

I'll still need a 400k though, and no I'm not riding the Old 240.

« Reply #29 on: 23 August, 2016, 07:30:50 pm »

Possible to do without much sleep but it's a bit miserable - Booking a hotel is a good back up. Some with more experience than me take a bivvy bag and a light sleeping wrap of some kind. If you're used to that sort of thing it could be fun I guess :-) There are several good bus shelters on the ridge on the way into Lincoln for such an adventure. Some Irish guys last year just unwrapped their bags and lay on the grass at Gainsborough. Me, I rode though on a 20min and 30min nap but it was HARD to stay in the enjoyment zone. Unless you are really trying to explore the outer limits of your sleep-ability then for a first 600 I would give yourself a break.

Tricky bit is which hotel to book! Prem at Google is quite early, then another at Lincoln is too late. For full value riders the Travel Lodge at Scunthorpe halfway between is a good bet (HK and LWaB chose that route last year and looked very fresh at the end.) That would be my best bet. Having said that I am taking a bivvy bag and have a spot already selected for my kip in a well located cricket stadium. I am not saying where  :P

And don't worry about the 3/4 hours thing, it's a very good three hours!

« Reply #30 on: 23 August, 2016, 08:57:22 pm »
Due to a fall from 5ft up Im now got my arm in a cast and it will be taken off on the 6th September and if no pain no cast  means I can ride if in pain means cast no ride I did ask if they could cast my hand so I can hold the handlebars and operate the sti levers

« Reply #31 on: 24 August, 2016, 07:37:22 pm »
The Big Saxon is entered, but similar to Merlinator awaiting a medical recovery after an operation to remove a skin cancer from my head. It is very sore, with internal stitches as well after an arterial bleed. Could take up to two years to fully recover, but in true Audax spirit I will ride when it is safe to do so.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #32 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:38:50 pm »
I'm not riding this year, the first time since it started, however each time I have ridden the plan has been the same - find a bus shelter at around 400k at about 3am. That plan has had mixed results of accommodation but always fundamentally achieved. There are obviously more desirable Audax hotels than others but the first one you see unoccupied when you feel the need is probably the one to go for.  I usually take a light sleeping bag and maybe bivvy too if the forecast is slightly cooler.
I've survived on an hour to 90 minutes of sleep on the concrete floor of a bus shelter.  You cannot overestimate how comfortable concrete can be when you're that tired or underestimate how refreshing an hour's sleep can be. Then wake up to dawn on the ridge before Lincoln where you have the climb out to warm you up.
Any more detail than that will just spoil you  ;)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #33 on: 24 August, 2016, 09:40:13 pm »
I'll be attempting this as my first 600 as well.
New B17 fitted, but not broken in as yet, but it should be by the time I'm done.
I've just got to rummage around to find some sort of side of the road accommodation, and maybe give it a test run in the garden.
All the best, Paul.

Lee Killestein

« Reply #34 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:21:43 pm »

I have yet to manage to cycle without sleep on a 600.  I was going to try it on the Windsor Chester Windsor 600 last year but when the heavy rain started I just decided to get my head down for a few hours at a control.  I always cycle straight through on a 400 with a small amount of dozies right at the end.  I've come to the conclusion that 3 hours sleep is about optimum for me on 600's and above. It gives a good balance between being rested and keeping a good time buffer for the subsequent day ahead.

If it were me I'd book the hotel.  The chance to take my cycling kit off, grab a shower, then jump into bed for a few quality hours is good value for money in my opinion. Others may advise taking a silver foil blanket (I carry one of those anyway) or riding straight through.  Both equally valid it really depends on how the lack of sleep plus all day riding affects you, which you aren't likely to have a full handle on yet.  I'm crap without my sleep.

Rather than leave it to chance I've booked the Premier Inn at Goole. Thanks Phil, just the thought of a hot shower, a bite to eat and a couple of hours in a real bed was enough to convince me! Now I need to get enough time in hand on the northbound leg to take advantage of my booking  ::-)

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:30:31 pm »
Got my entry in. Now I need to get some miles in. I'm fit just not audax fit.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #36 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:45:39 pm »
I've twice done 600s without sleep, primarily as prep for a fast PBP.  I've also done hard 400s on a catnap because on things like the Cambrian 4C unless you are The likes of Swiss Hat or Veloboy there's no time for sleep. Each time ( and the two 24s that I've done have been tough (and I don't use that word lightly).  One of the reasons I've entered this ride is that I'll have time for a kip in a proper bed unlike the stupid hard rides I have been doing.  Just MHO
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

« Reply #37 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:53:48 pm »
My name is down too. All being well this will be the tenth year of SRs .. starting when I was 65.... unusual.. certainly ...... unique .. maybe

Well.....I'm 57, and since PBP, have never worked so hard, never tranquilized myself with so much beer, never eaten so much crap food and never operated on so little sleep, I feel a complete mess....but I'm actually enjoying every single moment of it too in a decadent kind of way.

But in the back of my mind I'll be looking for a way back sooner or later, I'll not be wanting to stay here in this place for that long, but it's not going to be so easy to come back next time.

So for me, you're an inspiration.
Big Respect. Seriously.
Have a good ride.
Garry Broad

cgg

« Reply #38 on: 25 August, 2016, 09:22:56 am »
I'm not sure about this. It would be my first 600 / first SR so quite keen, but on the other hand it also seems very flat (and so quite dull). There's also the Borderlands Late Season Explorer but there's more logistic involved in getting up there.

More pondering required.

simonp

« Reply #39 on: 25 August, 2016, 10:38:33 am »
I suspect a larger field will help. I don't like flat 600s but it's late in the season and Galashiels is further away.

simonp

« Reply #40 on: 25 August, 2016, 10:50:05 am »
What are the best hotel options between 350k and 400k?

LMT

« Reply #41 on: 25 August, 2016, 10:56:42 am »

Lincoln travelodge, I stayed at the one at Thorpe on the hill, you miss out going through Lincoln and you rejoin the route south of Lincoln or hightail it down the 15 to Sleaford and rejoin the route there.

« Reply #42 on: 25 August, 2016, 11:58:46 am »
Red Lion Epworth.

I'm never doing this ride again (thank dog)
Last year it was my punishment for being fat. I'm still fat but I'd rather use a dremel for 24 hours on my lardy arse cheeks while watching paint dry with a slow hairdryer on my face. It's pretty much the same experience.

(Sorry Tom! The reception at the end is great, but not worth another visit to Boston)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: 25 August, 2016, 12:29:34 pm »
Red Lion Epworth.

Last year it was my punishment for being fat. I'm still fat but I'd rather use a dremel for 24 hours on my lardy arse cheeks while watching paint dry with a slow hairdryer on my face. It's pretty much the same experience.

(Sorry Tom! The reception at the end is great, but not worth another visit to Boston)

;D ;D ;D

Riding it in good company [the ACME Peloton, of course] helps those flat miles pass. We have a strong tendency towards maximum Wetherspoons and full value. We spread ourselves around the bus shelters of Lincolnshire, then re-group for breakfast at either Sleaford or Spalding 'spoons, depending on how things are going.

« Reply #44 on: 25 August, 2016, 09:47:10 pm »
Red Lion Epworth.

How perception can vary so much.

Have to say my experience of Boston was quite the opposite, very positive indeed.

On approach to the town the idler gear on the recumbent was falling to bits, so luck would have it I dived into this HomeDepot-style hardware place [meaning was very clean and organized] and bought a roll of monster tape to sort the problem. Getting into town for grub, I wandered into KFC, but it was really packed, looked round and saw a half eaten meal on a table, grabbed that, wandered out, scoffed it, put the monster tape on and carried on.

Happy Days :-)
Garry Broad

Mr Green

• LEL, SR, RRtY, 24TT
« Reply #45 on: 26 August, 2016, 08:26:26 pm »
I'm in.
This will be SR number two if successful - only eight left to go then
It will be my first go at bivi bagging. I have a feeling it will either be a revelation, or utter misery.

Arthur  :smug:
What a lot of effort just for a cloth badge.

rob

« Reply #46 on: 26 August, 2016, 08:47:18 pm »
Red Lion Epworth.

How perception can vary so much.

Have to say my experience of Boston was quite the opposite, very positive indeed.

On approach to the town the idler gear on the recumbent was falling to bits, so luck would have it I dived into this HomeDepot-style hardware place [meaning was very clean and organized] and bought a roll of monster tape to sort the problem. Getting into town for grub, I wandered into KFC, but it was really packed, looked round and saw a half eaten meal on a table, grabbed that, wandered out, scoffed it, put the monster tape on and carried on.

Happy Days :-)

Was Boston on the way North ?   Think I went into Greggs so only stopped for about 10 mins.

There is a small chance I'll enter but I have a 12hr TT on the 4th and these usually break me for a couple of weeks.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 28 August, 2016, 01:51:33 am »
Pretty sure I'm out, given that instead of packing my bike to fly back to Auld Blighty this afternoon, I'm in a Bangkok hospital bed with a cracked pelvis. Still, I'll get more time off work, so not all bad.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 28 August, 2016, 06:51:58 am »
Best wishes to you LWaB.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #49 on: 28 August, 2016, 06:55:59 am »
Oh shit, not good Dave.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/