Author Topic: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition  (Read 41118 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
Re: Flatlands 600km 2016 edition
« Reply #125 on: 10 September, 2016, 01:29:23 pm »
I imagine that each trike had front mudguards fitted.

It's a brave soul that slipstreams a trike at close quarters  ;D, other than, perhaps another trike trying to minimise the effect of the camber...not always the racing line around a corner.

I'm pleased to say there weren't any arguments about mudguards.  The only 'guard-free pedalos I saw were the two trikes  :thumbsup:  It's definitely mudflap weather, today!

I'd like compulsory mudflaps too [;D semi-seriously], Chemo CTC still insist on it and we'll probably have a recommendation to that effect when Dunmow Velo head into their first winter on skoggy old Essex lanes.

ACME crew looked resplendent in their new kit.

I felt quite proud as they headed out after helping me clear up  :thumbsup: I was too busy to get my camera out, any photos of the ACME Peloton on the road or at controls in their jerseys would be appreciated  :thumbsup:

And it was good to see Steve Abraham abroad once more — go Steve!

Go Steve, indeed!

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #126 on: 10 September, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
I imagine that each trike had front mudguards fitted.

I suspect you're correct — I only saw the rear of HK's and the other trike, I wasn't looking that closely at the fronts.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #127 on: 10 September, 2016, 01:52:20 pm »
Other trikie was James Shaw, Hampshire RC, I think?

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #128 on: 10 September, 2016, 02:04:20 pm »
ACME crew looked resplendent in their new kit.

I felt quite proud as they headed out after helping me clear up  :thumbsup: I was too busy to get my camera out, any photos of the ACME Peloton on the road or at controls in their jerseys would be appreciated  :thumbsup:

I took a pic of Tippers as he arrived:

I didn't think to take a group pic until they were setting off again, having stalled for an hour at Red Lodge hoping — forlornly — that the rain would abate, and then set off in 'proofs, so you don't get a sense of their shirtiness:

Chris S

« Reply #129 on: 10 September, 2016, 02:12:36 pm »
* looks at rain. sniggers *

Lovely day up here  ;D

#grimupnorth.

Have a good ride everyone - esp you Fidgetbuzz on your 10th SR bid.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #130 on: 10 September, 2016, 02:27:17 pm »
I know that HK's trike has a French front mudguard.

It is quite fun to follow a trike with your front tyre gently nudging its rear axle. It also keeps the following rider away from any rear wheel spray. You do have to keep your wits about you in corners though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #131 on: 10 September, 2016, 02:42:37 pm »
LWaB, did try to find a photo I had of me riding in this manner behind StuE, you have to trust the trike rider. I think rear mudguards are more trouble than they are worth, rattle incessantly

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #132 on: 10 September, 2016, 03:01:05 pm »
Rear mudguards on trikes are certainly rare and can be troublesome.

« Reply #133 on: 10 September, 2016, 08:28:10 pm »
Been out on a 200k DIY, saw the front runners looking strong coming out of Boston.

Then as I heading north back out of Boston towards Lincoln, rode with Dave ( Smethy on here I think) and Chris for about 50k. Great to meet, chat and ride with you guys, after having rear wheel damage due to pot hole, a few close passes and I was getting fed up with the rain, it gave my ride a much needed lift!

Good luck to everybody out there, sorry but I'm going to open up another beer ;)

Oh, and I would have done the event, but it's my daughters 18th tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #134 on: 10 September, 2016, 09:47:36 pm »
Chapeau to everybody out there. Some people see this as a soft 600 because it has so little climbing but once you are past Boston on the way north the refuelling options are quite limited. It's SPARs, McDonalds and petrol stations until Seaford.  A fondness for Ginsters and milk shakes helps. After Sleaford, it gets easier and there are a couple of good cafes on the home run but, as I found last time, a bad food selection on Saturday night can make for a bad Sunday.

On top of that, once you're through Cambridge, that last stretch to Dunmow has a few stings for the tired rider.

I guess my point is, there's no such thing as an easy 600km ride.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #135 on: 11 September, 2016, 08:52:36 am »
I guess my point is, there's no such thing as an easy 600km ride.

Kate C checked the route two weeks ago for me. A strong rider, she struggled with headwinds, especially on the way back. Out of time at one control, scraped in at the next and finished with a just-about-comfortable margin. CHAPEAU!

I'll take this weekend's weather over strong SW wind on the return. Christophe and Oaky had the worst Revenge of the Flatlands on the original edition's helpers' ride in 2013.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #136 on: 11 September, 2016, 09:46:55 am »
gorgeous morning with no wind in london, might go out and do a cheeky 300 on a tt bike with chatteris-gt.dunmow on the route, so might see some of you on the road.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #137 on: 11 September, 2016, 11:15:04 am »
Ok, so we don't publish times, but the course record has had 50 minutes taken off it today! :o It was a solo rider [and a fixie too  :thumbsup:]: last year four riders worked well together for the fastest time.

I've been expecting some fast rides, as wind-wise it seems to have been just about perfect, short of a tailwind both ways.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #138 on: 11 September, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »
Ok, so we don't publish times, but the course record has had 50 minutes taken off it today! :o It was a solo rider [and a fixie too  :thumbsup:]: last year four riders worked well together for the fastest time.

I've been expecting some fast rides, as wind-wise it seems to have been just about perfect, short of a tailwind both ways.

He was second to the first control only because his riding buddy was local and knew he could ride the unsurfaced cut-through on 25mm tyres.  Both were at the first control a full ten minutes before anyone else.  Chapeau  :thumbsup:

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #139 on: 11 September, 2016, 12:56:29 pm »
Ahem

May I respectfully remind you all that IT'S NOT A RACE

Honest
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #140 on: 11 September, 2016, 01:32:45 pm »
A bit depressing yesterday , I can't say the hardest, just depressing. I didn't see any of the fenland views, how can bad weather obscure the views when the summit peaks are at about 4m above sea level? Had a good session with CrazyEnglishTriathlete(I think) which made it more tolerable. Started as a good two up until I faded.  The weather forcast said 14deg was the coldest until dawn this morning. I had 12 mid day yesterday and 8deg in the early hours. I had to use the waterproof more for warmth than dryness. I was alredy soaked when I put it on. At least the night was dry and the stars were impressive after midnight. Got home(Cambridge) at 6:30am, an hour slower than last time. just catching up on the Vuelta with my feet up.  I suppose I ought to get back on the bike and finish at some point this afternoon -= nice day for it too.

I agree with Tomsk on the mudflaps. I think many who do not ride with clubs in winter have no idea. Most mudflaps - even full length ones do not have sufficient rear length to protect the rider behind. The only exception is the narrow race guards that do have a sufficuent extension. This can be easily fixed by sawing up a plastic milk bottleor similar and bolting it to the back of a standard mudguards. The problem with not having them is it causes peletons to echelon accross the road because riders do not ride in line to avoid the spray. This doesn't go down well with other road users. Not such a problem for a 2up as an echelon is no worse than riding two abrest. My club only insists on guards when the clocks are on winter time and we don't insist on flaps but flapless riders are stresses up so most do use them. Actually we don't mandate mudguards because we have a guardless run which goes off last but we don't allow clubruns to merge to keep the peleton sizes down - that's different in Audax where every rider makes there own decision.

I did see a few guardless machins at the start and red lodge but they were a tiny portion of the field.

Chris S

« Reply #141 on: 11 September, 2016, 05:26:16 pm »
Blimey, and I thought I did well getting round in a smidge under 23 hours!

Sounds like he wanted to get it over with  :)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #142 on: 11 September, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »
et off from Dunmow hoping to form a group, but there were two riders going very fast so found myself in no-mans land.  So I sat back and enjoyed the rolling hills and the wonderful sunrise.  Unfortunately that German lady Claudia was dominating the weather.  The first spits and spots of rain struck as I reached Red Lodge.  I'd thought about pushing out to Whittlesey but guessed that this might be my only dry meal of the day so stopped for a first-class bacon butty.  By the time I'd eaten this it was properly wet.

The fens were uniformly grim as Claudia launched her super soaker at us with a steady crosswind on the road to Earith.  I passed several riders who had taken a shorter stop, but only one organised group.  However, I then caught up with Flatlander and we had a good two-up all the way to Kirton Lindsey.  The wind got behind us before Whittlesey and we fairly rattled along, so we just got an ATM receipt and carried on.  Then the wind stopped helping us and the rain got properly heavy.  A little after Spalding the bonk struck me without warning, perhaps aided by the drenching.  I fished in my back pocket for an energy bar which kept me going but I knew that I needed proper food.

Boston centre was crowded with market stalls, random pedestrians and slippery cobbles, but somehow in all the melee I spotted the Tea and Toast cafe, which did an excellent lasagne and chips, fortifying us for the long stage to Kirton.  When hills as low as the Lincolnshire Wolds are swathed in cloud you know the weather is properly driesh.  But it really helped to have company and we joined up with a couple  of other riders.  Flatlander was keen on making it back to Cambridge, so he carried on whilst I had another feed.  It had stopped raining and I was feeling really positive.

The road to Goole took longer and seemed further than I expected, but I passed the 300km mark in 12 hours and felt confident that I could make my booked Travelodge in Sleaford at not-too-silly an hour.  I'd been worried about this before the ride, but transferring my aerobars to the yellow bike had helped me to keep my speed on the flat.  I stopped in McDonalds as much so that i could still in the warm whilst I got myself ready for the night stages.  The coffee was good there (which made up for the rest of the barely-edible food), especially s it turned out that the coffee machine a the Jet cafe was broken. 

The first night stage to Gainsborough seemed longer than the route sheet suggested.  At first I enjoyed a tailwind, but this disappeared before Eastoft.  At least there was a fine sunset to the west.  Gradually, village by village this faded as did my legs.  I tend to lose more speed than most at night, and as the miles crept by I doubted that I would get to Sleaford by 1am.  My plan, like so many other plans this season, seemed to be a bit ambitious.  At the Jet station in Gainsborough I noticed that my rear light was fading and so I decided to buy some more batteries.  Brain-fade was clearly fully established.  I looked at the old battery, sized it up against the new, and bought AA batteries only to realise that they did not fit and I needed AAAs.  Then a guardian angel turned up, in the form of Teethgrinder, who was riding the event as part of his HAM'R month attempt. 

He was going well and I was afraid that he would rip my legs off, but the presence of another rider was a huge tonic, and as I picked up pace there were a few less spins of his freewheel as he rode alongside.  We made it all the way through Lincoln, partly on a route of his choosing and partly by my knowledge of visiting Lincoln in the late 80s which allowed us to find a route to the east of the Cathedral which was cobble and pedestrian free and easy to navigate.  He was booked in the same Sleaford Travelodge as me, so we headed down the A15 as the most direct route.  He had to stop to reset his GPS at midnight and suggest that I carry on.  As my legs were feeling weary and my stomach empty, I took his invitation.  None of the road signs gave any indication of distance, but I took heart when I saw a sign indicating clearway for 12 miles and I hoped that was the distance to the A15/A17 junction.

Steve caught me up just as I reached the services.  I stopped at the petrol station to buy some food, with a till receipt timed at 00:50, mission accomplished.  The lady on the night shift told me that a couple of other riders had asked to stay at the Travelodge but that it was fully booked.  I was glad of my pre-booking!  It would have been cold trying to sleep in an Audax Hotel after the soaking we had received.  A few minutes later I was under the shower, feeling warm and clean for the first time in my working memory.  I sat in the bed thinking about eating my food and had a fantastic catatonic stupor, the food left uneaten on my bedside table.

I woke 3.5 hours later with the creature from the Little Shop of Horrors in my stomach and I tucked into the prawn sandwich, salt-and-vinegar crisps and ribena that I'd bought before (with the Doors Roadhouse Blues ringing in my head - "I woke up this morning and I got myself a beer").  I didn't want to set out in the dark and put my head down again, but sleep wouldn't come, so I just relished being comfortable. 

It was a beautiful and peaceful morning.  The next stage would be over 90km as I had a short distance before the centre of Sleaford where this stage officially begun.  I remembered the road to Threekingham from LEL in 2009 (that had been another wet ride).  Today it was bathed in low-angle sunshine.  There were cycle tyre tracks after some of the puddles and I longed for company.  I met two riders in Sleaford who were the culprits; they had ridden through the night.  As we talked a rider went passed and I did not think I would catch him up.  However, on the long flat roads through Cowbit and towards Crowland I gradually reeled him in, making the junction just after "Peak Hill", which must be the most ironically named place in Britain. 

He picked up speed as we rode through and off to Whittlesey; it's amazing what company can do to a tired rider.   I was worried that the pace would wear me out.  He stopped in Whittlesey to top up with water and I carried on at a lesser pace through the fens to Chatteris and the Green Welly Cafe.  The sun had gathered strength and I began to feel cooked in my night-riding gear.  I caught up with a group who'd had a brief sleep in McDonalds in Sleaford and felt both guilty and smug about my luxurious night. 

The route through Cambridge was wearisome, the road through Girton had pretty much the most shameful tarmac surface I've seen (the gravel sections on the Old Roads and Drove Roads were smoother) and other sections were busy with tourists looking at the sights and not where they were going, or busy with traffic.  However, then there were hills, my normal terrain and I was soon happy again.  Finishing at a pub was great.  A large Caesar salad full of fresh food was a great anti tide to my diet on the rest of the ride.  The aerobars worked perfectly on a bike that had done 49700 miles without them (the 50,000 miles for the frame was reached somewhere near Threekingham).  The other piece of kit that worked really well was the kidney warmer that kept my stomach warm in the wet weather and helped me to digest my food well.  But the biggest part of the success was being able to ride with Flatlander and Teethgrinder for sections of the route and keep my sanity when the going got tough.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

Flatlands 600km 2016 edition
« Reply #143 on: 11 September, 2016, 11:13:23 pm »
Saturday was horrific made bearable by the excellent company till I realised I wouldn't make the hotel cut off at Epworth cue smashing the 40 miles there @ 17.5 mph to make it with ten minutes to spare! Loved the bed and set off 6.30am. Made it back via lots of help at 8.14pm. You know who you are!!

Fricking garmin lost 60-70 miles :(

« Reply #144 on: 11 September, 2016, 11:35:21 pm »
Home, after 500 miles. A typical two days in the life of TG? Report tomorrow. Bath then bed!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

« Reply #145 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:00:57 am »
Both trikes had front mudguards, which is very much standard for trikes.

The splash factor from the rear wheels to anyone sitting behind and amazingly people were is no different to a rear mudguard sans suitable mud flap.

No grit or grime in the shorts of the trikes as the water given off from a trike doesn't hit the backside.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #146 on: 12 September, 2016, 12:30:04 am »
Congratulations to fidgetbuzz - Ultra Randonneur starting at 65, not many of those folk

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #147 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:42:11 am »
Fidgetbuzz says no more Flatlands, no, never, not ever!

10 SRs for his Ultra Randonneur, completed in his 75th year, soon to complete 120 consecutive months for the RRtY. Blimey, that's a lot to live up to for us young'uns...

Thanks for the celebratory drinks all round :thumbsup:

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #148 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:49:27 am »
a :thumbsup: Nice to put some faces to the names on here, Flatlander and CrazyEnglishTriathlete, I joined you for the stretch after Boston where we had a four man group for a while. i had the red bag strapped on my Tribars.

« Reply #149 on: 12 September, 2016, 08:51:26 am »
He was second to the first control only because his riding buddy was local and knew he could ride the unsurfaced cut-through on 25mm tyres.  Both were at the first control a full ten minutes before anyone else.  Chapeau  :thumbsup:

I was second to arrive at Red Lodge, but certainly didn't smash the course record!! Not sure who did though...