Author Topic: Sky - gaming the system?  (Read 191700 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: Sky - gaming the system?
« Reply #125 on: 30 September, 2016, 11:02:55 pm »
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #126 on: 01 October, 2016, 08:24:11 am »
I once had injected steroids for asthma BUT I was under a year old at the time, so couldn't really use an inhaler, and it was life-threatening at the time (I was fortunate enough to grow out of asthma - I credit having two pet cats for that - at about the age of 40, having used salbutamol before exercise for years).

I haven't previously heard of otherwise fit adults needing injections for asthma or hay fever.

ICBA to read the entire thread, but Indurain faced similar questions for using salbutamol.  It is almost certainly performance-enhancing, although IME the effect strictly caused by the drug is fairly short-lived  - what it can do is get an asthma sufferer through the first half hour of exercise (normally asthma will come on in the first few minutes without an inhaler, especially in cold weather), after which they can keep going indefinitely.  however, if you take the inhaler and sit still for an hour, then ride, you'll probably still get asthma.  One curiosity with asthma is that it may give up trying to choke you and just disappear after about 20 minutes' exercise, if you can last that long.  And you usually can't last that long without the inhaler beforehand.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #127 on: 02 October, 2016, 06:55:33 pm »
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #128 on: 02 October, 2016, 07:10:46 pm »

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #129 on: 02 October, 2016, 08:03:38 pm »
Awwww, so puppy.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #130 on: 03 October, 2016, 10:24:43 am »
Look at his sorry little face

You've convinced me.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #131 on: 04 October, 2016, 12:49:11 am »
Personally, I find it hard to believe that three injections mean Wiggins whole career was a fraud. Could one injection really have lasted for three weeks of the tour?

30-40 days, allegedly.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #132 on: 04 October, 2016, 03:20:11 am »
Here's the view from one anonymous rider:

Wiggins won the Tour in 2012 and that was a result I wanted to have faith in. Now, I think he was kind of a puppet, just told what to do and when to do it. I think he did the same thing with his training, just so he didn’t have to think about it.

I see these TUEs as a loophole, and it’s something a lot of teams, including Sky, have exploited. They have not broken any rule, so you can’t call Wiggins a drug cheat. Unfortunately, you also have to ask the question: who is the guy at the UCI signing off on this? Back then, it was Mario Zorzoli, and now he’s gone; just disappeared off the face of the earth apparently.

For me, it’s all very disappointing.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/the-secret-pro-cortisone-tues-world-championships-and-rider-transfer-season/
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

« Reply #133 on: 04 October, 2016, 07:31:53 am »
Here's the view from one anonymous rider:

Wiggins won the Tour in 2012 and that was a result I wanted to have faith in. Now, I think he was kind of a puppet, just told what to do and when to do it. I think he did the same thing with his training, just so he didn’t have to think about it.

I see these TUEs as a loophole, and it’s something a lot of teams, including Sky, have exploited. They have not broken any rule, so you can’t call Wiggins a drug cheat. Unfortunately, you also have to ask the question: who is the guy at the UCI signing off on this? Back then, it was Mario Zorzoli, and now he’s gone; just disappeared off the face of the earth apparently.

For me, it’s all very disappointing.

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/10/the-secret-pro-cortisone-tues-world-championships-and-rider-transfer-season/
Spot on. I wonder if anyone has gone back through the dates and mapped then against those photos of Wiggins looking stripped like Rasmussen.

« Reply #134 on: 04 October, 2016, 08:10:19 am »
"If you’re really all for clean sport, then why would you not join the MPCC? Then you see this, and you think, “Ah, that’s why they don’t want to join.”

"I’ve heard about this, with some of the Classics riders. They’ll pull out, a week or so before a big race, say they have a knee injury, or a sore ankle, or bronchitis, get a TUE for cortisone, get an injection, and then take a little more just before the race. If they get tested, they just say, “Eight days ago, I took something, and I have a TUE.” It’s the same sort of thing. Three days before the Tour de France? I mean, come on".

αdαmsκι

« Reply #135 on: 05 October, 2016, 04:22:39 am »
^^^^

Yeah, that was the other standout point from the Secret Pro and makes a lot of sense.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #136 on: 05 October, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »
I vaguely recall in 1999 following the Festina affair, the teams and riders were asked to sign a declaration that they weren't doping. The MPCC has about the same level of credibility as that.

I don't think the TUE thing is the reason for some teams leaving the organisation or not signing up in the first place. Only half the WT teams are members.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

αdαmsκι

« Reply #137 on: 12 October, 2016, 09:34:14 am »
Team Sky has someone to carry an item from Manchester to the continent but the mule has no idea what's inside the package. Cope (the guy doing the trip) must have been pretty trusting that it wasn't anything dodgy as he passed through customs.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cope-i-dont-know-what-was-in-the-package-for-team-sky/

« Reply #138 on: 12 October, 2016, 09:46:05 am »
Isn't everyone asked to sign a declaration when they fly that they know the contents of their luggage?
The sound of one pannier flapping

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #139 on: 12 October, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »
Isn't everyone asked to sign a declaration when they fly that they know the contents of their luggage?
Dunno, but I would guess there are limits e.g.
- Courier carrying confidential legal documents. or
- Owner of Samsung phone; would he/she know what sort of battery it uses?

I have a question too about the Cope case; how did these errands come to light? I couldn't work it out from the article  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #140 on: 12 October, 2016, 01:20:11 pm »
How many current phones don't use lithium batteries?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #141 on: 12 October, 2016, 02:23:19 pm »

Not IME.  They've even stopped asking whether you packed it yourself.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #142 on: 12 October, 2016, 02:37:09 pm »

Not IME.  They've even stopped asking whether you packed it yourself.

I think it's been incorporated into the online check-in procedure.  Have a look next time you fill in your details - I'm pretty sure there will be a check-box saying you know the contents of your luggage and packed it yourself.  It certainly has been the last few times I've flown.
The sound of one pannier flapping

αdαmsκι

« Reply #144 on: 17 October, 2016, 08:27:15 pm »
Much as my prednisolone gives me some whoosh, I'll admit that article made me wonder what it'd take to get prescribe kenalog outside of a BC setting.  My respiratory consultant is ludicrously - worryingly, even - happy to throw more drugs at my chest problem. I'll ask him what he'd need to see for him to consider it.

simonp

« Reply #145 on: 17 October, 2016, 09:56:20 pm »
I await your report on its effectiveness.

« Reply #146 on: 24 October, 2016, 11:39:39 pm »
It's a shame, because it's completely undermined the value of his wins. Yeah, it was 'legal', but I doubt he would be permitted to do the same thing with the current TUE system.
P.S. We have a hard enough time to get the doc to prescribe prednisolone for my wife and she has to be in the 'can barely breathe' state before they'll consider it. Would love to get her a cortisone injection and see what that would do!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #147 on: 25 October, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
It's a shame, because it's completely undermined the value of his wins. Yeah, it was 'legal', but I doubt he would be permitted to do the same thing with the current TUE system.
[my bold] That's completely a matter of personal opinion.

He won under the rules in place at the time. Rules change (not just for drugs); no one loses their titles just cos they weren't wearing a modern helmet, for example.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #148 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:33:45 am »
It would only be in accordance with the rules if it was necessary treatment of a medical condition, not if it was for performance enhancement doping. It looks a lot like the latter.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Samuel D

« Reply #149 on: 25 October, 2016, 09:57:25 am »
Medical treatment is literally performance-enhancing.

I think the only “shame” in this case is the revisionist moralising that observers have been extraordinarily motivated to do, driven by who-knows-what reasons. I expect no better from various arms of the media, but the way cycling fans have jumped on the bandwagon is hugely disappointing. Wiggins has been put through the wringer. I hope he emerges with his head in one piece.