Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 954831 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4025 on: 11 March, 2014, 01:40:30 pm »
Going Postal. Suitably daft for unwinding of an evening.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Chris S

« Reply #4026 on: 15 March, 2014, 08:12:20 pm »
Ender's Game.

(click to show/hide)

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #4027 on: 17 March, 2014, 10:06:16 am »
Budapest Hotel last night.

"Hello chaps."

Not sure if it's my sense of humour, but I'm the only one laughing in the cinema at various points. Go and see it chaps. A very enjoyable film.

Ralph Fiennes. Love 'im!
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4028 on: 17 March, 2014, 10:48:12 am »
Planning to see that this Friday.  Looks to be a good laugh.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4029 on: 17 March, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »
The Lego Movie (3D).

Family outing, really enjoyed by all.

Could be Liam Neeson's finest work.
What's this bottom line for anyway?

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #4030 on: 17 March, 2014, 01:55:08 pm »
The Matrix.

Master W asked me about it on Saturday (not sure why, forgot to ask) so I suggested we watch it. Now. So we did. The advert breaks (it was a recording off TV) gave convenient points during which I could explain what was going on. What struck me was that visual effects that seemed amazing in 1999 now appear rather mundane ::-). Still a classic though.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #4031 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:26:28 pm »
Defiance.

Fantastic

Ruth

« Reply #4032 on: 17 March, 2014, 08:33:00 pm »
My Week With Marilyn.

I thought it was very good.  Really enjoyed it.  Playing Marilyn must surely have been pretty daunting.  Somehow, Michelle Williams pulls it off (mostly). 

fuzzy

« Reply #4033 on: 18 March, 2014, 08:23:16 am »
A little while ago, I caught about 20 minutes of a Bill Nighey, Rachel Weisz film which I later found out was Page Eight

It was on BBC2 the other night and I recorded it. Watched it through last night. A really good, low key Spy thriller style film without the testosterone and pyrotechnics.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and I have decided, Daniel Craig has competeition. I love Rachel Weisz.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #4034 on: 19 March, 2014, 01:09:27 pm »

"Hello chaps."

Not sure if it's my sense of humour, but I'm the only one laughing in the cinema at various points. Go and see it chaps. A very enjoyable film.

Ralph Fiennes. Love 'im!

Funny, funny, funny film. I haven't laughed so much in ages, and I haven't laughed that much in a cinema ever.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4035 on: 19 March, 2014, 06:50:25 pm »
A little while ago, I caught about 20 minutes of a Bill Nighey, Rachel Weisz film which I later found out was Page Eight

It was on BBC2 the other night and I recorded it. Watched it through last night. A really good, low key Spy thriller style film without the testosterone and pyrotechnics.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and I have decided, Daniel Craig has competeition. I love Rachel Weisz.
Are you sure? ???  Craig is much cuter than Rachel Weisz.

Anyway ... if you liked that, catch the sort-of-sequel tomorrow:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03yrjvc
"Turks and Caicos"
Getaloada this cast:

Johnny Worricker
    Bill Nighy

Margot Tyrell
    Helena Bonham Carter

Melanie Fall
    Winona Ryder

Curtis Pelissier
    Christopher Walken
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4036 on: 20 March, 2014, 10:30:54 am »
I read that as "I've decided that I prefer Rachel to Daniel".
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #4037 on: 20 March, 2014, 01:16:51 pm »

Each to their own Matt :thumbsup:

"Turks and Caicos"
Getaloada this cast:

Johnny Worricker
    Bill Nighy

Margot Tyrell
    Helena Bonham Carter

Melanie Fall
    Winona Ryder

Curtis Pelissier
    Christopher Walken

Shall be recording.

fuzzy

« Reply #4038 on: 20 March, 2014, 01:18:16 pm »
I read that as "I've decided that I prefer Rachel to Daniel".

I've always preferred Rachel to Daniel but, I now have to drag hsi wife away from him :P

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4039 on: 20 March, 2014, 05:46:31 pm »
Oh I see! That makes sense now. ;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4040 on: 21 March, 2014, 09:14:18 am »

"Hello chaps."

Ralph Fiennes. Love 'im!

Saw this last night.  Absolutely brilliant!  Early showing on a Thursday, so not many people, but lots of laughter from the crowd throughout the film.   It's well-done slapstick, with none of the cringe-worthy bits you get in American comedies.*  The cast, loaded with well-known names, was wonderful.

As Riggers said, go see this film.

* There were 2-3 American comedies previewed last night.  We agreed on all of them:  :sick:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #4041 on: 21 March, 2014, 11:32:38 am »

Each to their own Matt :thumbsup:

"Turks and Caicos"
Getaloada this cast:

Johnny Worricker
    Bill Nighy

Margot Tyrell
    Helena Bonham Carter

Melanie Fall
    Winona Ryder

Curtis Pelissier
    Christopher Walken

Shall be recording.

Watched as opposed to recording.

Was good but not as good as Page Eight.

Salting the Battlefield looks to have promise though.

This is turning into a cooler, calmer Bourne Trilogy ;D

« Reply #4042 on: 23 March, 2014, 12:11:30 am »
Many, many years after reading Ian McEwans's novel I finally watched the film version of "The Comfort Of Strangers".   Directed by Paul Schrader & beautifully shot in Venice with a stellar cast, the impossibly gorgeous Rupert Everett, Natasha Richardson, Helen Mirren & Christopher Walken. 

It's a visual feast, but as with the source material  a tad improbable.  Not to go home with tall, elegant weirdos is standard advice for travelers, returning for dinner with them after he's punched you in the guts is unlikely.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #4043 on: 23 March, 2014, 06:35:46 pm »
I watched "Searching for Sugarman" last night.

Last week, I finished reading "19 With a Bullet" by a bloke called Granger Korff, who was a Paratrooper (A "Bat") in the Angolan/Namibian war/counterinsurgency/oppressioneffort of the 80's, about five years before my experience of the SADF*.

I met Craig Strydom (Craig Bartholomew, as he called himself then), one of the main protagonists in SFSM, on a plane when I went back to South Africa around three weeks ago. For the first time after my mother's death, nearly six years ago. He was also a Bat, pretty much half way between me and this Korff oke.

It's been a deeply, deeply strange few weeks.

*'90 and '91 for me, (thankfully?) after things had settled down a bit and before they got het up again.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #4044 on: 23 March, 2014, 08:11:52 pm »
Flight.

I wish I hadn't, but I do like Denzel.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #4045 on: 24 March, 2014, 01:10:30 am »
London River.

The plot was a bit obvious but it was no less affecting because of that.  Two disparate (seemingly) people seek their children in the wake of the London bombings.  Terrific acting from Brenda Blethyn and Sotigui Kouyate, who was probably dying at the time.  Very well shot and the sort of film that couldn't be made in America because the cast all look like real people - except for Kouyate, who looks like a god (but a real one).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4046 on: 24 March, 2014, 08:16:39 pm »
Gravity.

What it lacked in realism, it made up for in pace.   :thumbsup:

Needed more Sigourney Weaver.  And Tom Hanks.

spindrift

« Reply #4047 on: 24 March, 2014, 08:49:59 pm »
Jennifer Aniston has done romcoms with pretty much every single leading man in Hollywood and they've all been total rubbish. We're The Millers made me roar with laughter (it's pretty broad humour, anal sex, drugs, sexual favours to cops etc). Will Poulton is great in it.

Jakob

« Reply #4048 on: 27 March, 2014, 06:01:28 pm »
"Into the Mind" a free-skiing movie, seen through the eyes/mind of a fictional skier.
Quality of the footage is stunning.
<a href="http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=54348266&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA" target="_blank">http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=54348266&amp;server=vimeo.com&amp;fullscreen=1&amp;show_title=1&amp;show_byline=1&amp;show_portrait=0&amp;color=01AAEA</a>

Chris S

« Reply #4049 on: 27 March, 2014, 10:56:29 pm »
Jennifer Aniston has done romcoms with pretty much every single leading man in Hollywood and they've all been total rubbish. We're The Millers made me roar with laughter (it's pretty broad humour, anal sex, drugs, sexual favours to cops etc). Will Poulton is great in it.

In fairness. this film contains a Fairly Hot strip scene from Ms Aniston which all hetero (and - frankly, some less hetero) men would find Pretty Riveting. Erm - I did.  :)