Author Topic: Beardys running log - Ct5k  (Read 145803 times)

Re: Beardys running log - Ct5k
« Reply #1700 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:24:33 am »
Good news Sir.

After Auntie Helen's posts about the Austrian Hills I got to wondering if there are some hills within the town here that I could perhaps incorporate into a route.  Yesterday we went for an amble and I suddenly realised that I was walking down one of the longest gentle inclines in Rugby.  It is well over half a km long and varies between gentle and moderate but is uphill for the entirety.  I'm now trying to figure out if I can jibble one of my routes to throw this in as part of a 10k run on Sunday. 

« Reply #1701 on: 21 June, 2021, 08:31:40 am »
Just checked on the map:  the full length of the road is 2.25km  with over 1.75km being uphill.  That will do nicely!  👍

« Reply #1702 on: 21 June, 2021, 01:40:41 pm »
Got out again for 8km!  Ankle a bit sore but not an increasing damage pain but rather a you hurt me so I am aching pain. Doing all my running at the moment on fields to minimise impact.  Also the paths I am on have a little undulation to stress the evertors and investors but not enough to worry about a further sprain.

« Reply #1703 on: 21 June, 2021, 02:45:22 pm »
Took advantage of the cool rain to run 6km this morning. My running is very sporadic in the summer - it's just too warm: But I try and complete one 5km a month to keep my hand (legs) in.

The one thing I love about running is it doesn't need the same attention as cycling and rock climbing - so the mind can wander. And I've been surprised how often this allows the mind to solve problems, or come up with nifty ideas. Today's idea was extremely IT geeky, but it might solve a recent problem at work in a particularly nifty way that can be automated.

« Reply #1704 on: 21 June, 2021, 05:41:48 pm »
Not worth starting a 'running good news bad news thread'. Here seem appropriate.

Good news: I did my not as usual as I'd like Sunday 10k yesterday.
Bad news: My time was over an hour
GN: but only by 30 seconds
Even better news: my heart rate was under 140 for the whole run

GN: parkrun is coming back next month
BN: but not ours  :'(

Anyone who has read my posts in this thread will have seen references to the Park (with the capital). It's the parkland surrounding our local NT property, open to the public for free pretty well all the time. Our parkrun has been here for the past seven years. However, it is a grade I listed landscape which is not being improved by having 400 pairs of feet trampling it every Saturday and the logistics of getting said 400 people into and out of a village with a population of about 800, and finding them places to park their cars, was getting too much. I completely understand the NT's reasons for not wanting to restart...

...but the announcement left me feeling really down on Friday. As noted above, I run in the Park two or three times a week and one of the things which has been motivating me has been that's it's a practice for when parkrun returns. How much of a difference will starting the 5k in a different place make? How much of a boost will running with other people give me? That sort of thing. And now it's not going to happen.

OK it's not really that serious. It's only a (mostly) fun run. But Friday was hard. And I need to find some motivation for tomorrow morning.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1705 on: 21 June, 2021, 06:37:57 pm »
Never done a park run but our work running club seem quite keen on them so I thought I would join.  We have several near us and one which will be within running distance. so I can do a steady 7k there, do the run and 7k back which will make a nice Saturday morning long run once my ankle fully recovers.

« Reply #1706 on: 21 June, 2021, 07:11:51 pm »
Never done a park run but our work running club seem quite keen on them so I thought I would join.  We have several near us and one which will be within running distance. so I can do a steady 7k there, do the run and 7k back which will make a nice Saturday morning long run once my ankle fully recovers.
Our closest one will now be 12 miles away.  :(
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1707 on: 22 June, 2021, 06:39:43 am »
Another perfect morning for a run.  Feeling good now.

Rugby has a Parkrun but there is an off road section which is quite technical and I have very little confidence there.  It has to be navigated twice.

I think that I'd rather catch the train and visit Northampton as I am familiar with the course there and comfortable with it.

« Reply #1708 on: 22 June, 2021, 09:36:40 am »
I've restarted running. Legs feel like they have little strength, get tired running uphill rapidly.
I'm not using strava - figured the slow recorded speeds would be too dispiriting. Just getting around a loop is enough.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #1709 on: 22 June, 2021, 11:46:47 am »
Another lovely morning for a run - before warmer weather returns.

In terms of Strava, it offers history, social kudos, and segments.

I love the first two - and they regularly motivate me to get out the door when the body is willing, but the mind is 'meh'.

But I hate the segments and the focus on performance. As an older git, I WLL get slower and slower - and that doesn't matter because I am going further, and exercising longer - which DOES matter.

I much prefer Komoot - as it has a strong emphasis on joy, not performance. But I would miss the kudos of my friends, and the multi-year history of all my prior exercise and geeky bicycle/gear history.

« Reply #1710 on: 22 June, 2021, 01:23:24 pm »
I use Strava and have a number of friends but worry about clogging up their feeds with commutes and boring 5-10km runs.  I therefore make all my activities private apart from the big ones which is of course boasting so I am conflicted!

Segments are a real nuisance when active on my watch as I am then triggered into going for them which ruins the run or ride.  I do like looking at them afterwards and seeing improvement or at least maintenance.

« Reply #1711 on: 22 June, 2021, 02:00:26 pm »
At the moment I record on Garmin and copy to Strava as a backup but I keep both private save for a few select individuals.  The information is more for nostalgia if I am honest and it is very useful to see if I have a little dip in commitment. 

My times are only relevant insofar as they are purely an indicator of decrepitude for this still overweight 58 year old bear.  Distances are more important to me really.  Having cracked C25K after a number of failures I do enjoy running non-stop to 5k and beyond.  😊

« Reply #1712 on: 23 June, 2021, 07:55:15 am »
A slight chill for my early low hr session this morning.  Clear skies and a rising sun made for some really beautiful scenes as the orange fingers of the rising sun pushed between buildings and almost twisted through the branches and leaves of hedges and trees.  As the long fingers of the sun stretched out across the landscape and the birds serenaded the dawn I found myself full of positive energy and good cheer.  A fabulous morning indeed.

Having had coffee and breakfast now I cannot help but delight in a splendid day.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #1713 on: 23 June, 2021, 09:17:15 am »
It’s good to see you peeps are keeping the candle burning during my partially enforced hiatus. I’ve still not managed to get out for a run, but the first phase of the project looks like it’s coming to an end so I’ll hopefully be back on the trails very soon. Lots of work to do to get back, but I’ve a much greater understanding of the processes these days.
Se you all on the trails real soon!  :thumbsup:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #1714 on: 25 June, 2021, 01:36:35 pm »
Another lovely cool, wet morning - so went for a 6.5km run.

« Reply #1715 on: 25 June, 2021, 01:48:49 pm »
Good stuff. 

We went to watch a Mikron Theatre production yesterday evening and a small amount of alcohol was consumed.  As a result I slept like a log and awoke at 7:30a.m. feeling all refreshed and in good cheer.  Tomorrow I will rise early for 10k before breakfast.

« Reply #1716 on: 25 June, 2021, 04:28:46 pm »
Day before yesterday it was but I got out for 5k, first run since the first of the month.

It went fine apart from a stitch for the middle kilometre.

My legs were letting me know about it the next day though.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #1717 on: 26 June, 2021, 04:03:52 pm »
First run since early March. Why oh why did I stop?

It's not easy juggling with full time (quite demanding) work, family, and 1.5 hours bike commuting a day, but I'm going to get 4-5 runs a week in.

« Reply #1718 on: 26 June, 2021, 04:14:35 pm »
Good stuff. 

We went to watch a Mikron Theatre production yesterday evening and a small amount of alcohol was consumed.  As a result I slept like a log and awoke at 7:30a.m. feeling all refreshed and in good cheer.  Tomorrow I will rise early for 10k before breakfast.

I had forgotten that we'd other plans this morning so it'll be a run tomorrow morning instead.

« Reply #1719 on: 26 June, 2021, 08:16:22 pm »
I got a good 5k in but ankle still hurts. Trying to avoid the heel strike habit I have got in to.

« Reply #1720 on: 28 June, 2021, 05:05:15 am »
Grumble, grumble, moan, moan ...

Self motivation seems to have deserted me this past few days and all intentions to get out have failed. 

Real life matters got in the way once or twice but also so has my lazy body falling back to sleep.

I have risen this morning to discover rain and thus, being a fair weather shuffler, I have relocated to the comfy part of the sofa and am wallowing in self-pity.

I need to break this rut.  Try again tomorrow?

« Reply #1721 on: 29 June, 2021, 07:45:25 am »
Nope.  Running mojo has clearly taken a holiday and got stuck in a grubby hotel near an airport somewhere.   😞

« Reply #1722 on: 02 July, 2021, 06:36:19 am »
Ten days off and feeling refreshed, I rose at 4:00a.m. and set to my normal stretches.  Faffing as I do it took me the best part of 45 minutes to be ready to leave.  Although the Met Office told me that it is 14 degrees the cloud cover and easterly breeze certainly made it feel much cooler.

A steady 8k at my regular pace and my hr was only slightly higher than usual.  I'm feeling pretty good now with a hot mug of coffee and my feet up.

« Reply #1723 on: 02 July, 2021, 10:36:05 am »
 :thumbsup:

I did a couple of warm ups last weekend, a 3 and a 5k. Then yesterday did my standard 10k trail run through woods up to a gothic mansion. 8.45 m/min, so quite pleased. Legs felt empty on ride in today

« Reply #1724 on: 05 July, 2021, 12:30:43 pm »
Got out again for 8k this morning.  The weather was a bit miserable but it didn't deter me too much.  Been busy making sourdough this morning.