Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2505560 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #18750 on: 11 July, 2016, 09:20:40 am »
First morning back on the bike after a weeks illness and a weeks recuperation by bus.

A bit slow in places showing up two weeks off the bike, but a glorious ride in with the traffic all behaving.

« Reply #18751 on: 11 July, 2016, 12:36:39 pm »
After Thursdays disaster (see motorised moron thread) I decided I needed a change of scenery.

I got up early and left ten minutes earlier than usual intending to go as traffic free as possible. Mrs Trekker rode with me part way until she had to turn off to her work and I then used the shared cycle path along which I saw hardly anyone and none of that awful stopping in traffic at lights and junctions etc.

After that I whizzed through the next town and out into the country along the back lanes which run parallel to the A12.

Birds singing, sun shining and hardly a car to be seen. After 19.5 miles (the direct traffic filled route is 14.5) I arrived at work refreshed and feeling like I'd completed a bike ride and not a commute.

Considering the use of the cycle path my average speed was only 0.5mph lower than usual

I'm doing that more often!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #18752 on: 12 July, 2016, 08:00:47 am »
The scab on my knee is not cracking with every stroke now so a bit quicker, quite a few others about too.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #18753 on: 12 July, 2016, 09:46:46 am »
Last night's commute home was in about the heaviest rain I've ever cycled in  :hand:

« Reply #18754 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:24:34 am »
Lazy, very lazy today and I intend to be that way for the rest of the week

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #18755 on: 13 July, 2016, 03:05:27 pm »
Visitation >:( On the canal towpath again.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #18756 on: 13 July, 2016, 08:13:53 pm »
7.5 miles home from work - phone keeps dropping the gps signal probably will go back to old fashioned computer, 1 or 2 lying around.

« Reply #18757 on: 14 July, 2016, 08:09:14 am »
A very enjoyable sunny cruise this morning slightly marred by my mudguard bracket breaking 1 mile from work, bodged with zip ties for the time being.

« Reply #18758 on: 14 July, 2016, 04:02:11 pm »
Surprised at how much some cycle commuters wear...  Today ~18C & sunny, I was in shorts & sh-s jersey, and overtook a chap doing the same journey (~9mls), in a suit, full winter gloves, and a yellow gilet. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #18759 on: 14 July, 2016, 04:26:18 pm »
After having three days off work sweating, shivering, coughing and aching in bed it was time to go back to work....

Was expecting to hate every second, but was actually an enjoyable run, even seemed to help with the achies

« Reply #18760 on: 14 July, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »
Surprised at how much some cycle commuters wear...  Today ~18C & sunny, I was in shorts & sh-s jersey, and overtook a chap doing the same journey (~9mls), in a suit, full winter gloves, and a yellow gilet.

I see that a lot, including one with a scarf around their mouth, I was pondering unzipping my SS top a bit more as I was boiling. I put it down to having a broken internal thermostat from cycling through the winter.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #18761 on: 14 July, 2016, 06:35:12 pm »
That nothing I see the same cyclist going past me with 4 lights on front and back, camera on bmx helmet and back of bike plus he is covered head to toe in clothes so you can not see a single bit of exposed skin!! Could be 40 degrees or -10

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #18762 on: 14 July, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »
... including one with a scarf around their mouth....
Hay fever sufferer perhaps?

_Lots_ of traffic eastbound on the Saltway this morning proper queues of it.  At that time it's normally just me and the odd pheasant, partridge or rabbit.  Very odd.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18763 on: 14 July, 2016, 09:02:18 pm »

I'm surprised at how much some cyclists wear full stop.  Unless it's actually cold enough to snow or you're borderline hypothermic from a stop, a waterproof jacket is almost always too warm, for example.

But I'll make allowances for casual (which paradoxically includes suits in this context) clothes - they're not generally chosen for the cycling bit.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18764 on: 14 July, 2016, 09:02:48 pm »
... including one with a scarf around their mouth....
Hay fever sufferer perhaps?

Or trying to keep those little black flies out.

« Reply #18765 on: 14 July, 2016, 11:54:21 pm »
I appear to be one of those commuters who wears a lot of clothes  ;).
First commute in a while this morning. Wet roads but blue skies and it was cold enough to make me wish I'd worn gloves to compliment the windproof jacket, long sleeve jersey and mesh base-layer. Plus the usual lycra shorts with un-padded MTB shorts over the top.
Coming home it was much warmer and I wished I had a short sleeve jersey. The windproof was in the bag  :thumbsup: and I rolled the sleeves of the jersey up.

Despite the break, I seemed to go quite well.
Day off tomorrow but I'm working Saturday and Sunday and I'm expecting to ride in.

« Reply #18766 on: 15 July, 2016, 08:10:35 am »
from cycling through the winter.

I do think this makes a difference, I was surprised leaving last night at how most cyclists wandering round the MRI were in longs, jackets etc, I nearly dug the windproof out the bag but shorts and s/s were fine, that said though I do seem to be faster when 'running hot'.

Forgot my cap this morning since it's still on the line, very steady pootle in.

« Reply #18767 on: 17 July, 2016, 09:06:44 pm »
Only me again today ? Oh the joys of Sunday shifts...................
It was very, very gloomy this morning and I began to think I'd get soaked. Thankfully that didn't happen but I was glad of the windproof layer and the leg-warmers. Back to the clothing issue again.
Due to too much faffing, I set off rather later than was ideal so I had to get a bit of a move on. I don't feel great when I have to do this, I seem to be more of an afternoon cyclist.
Still, I got there in plenty of time and I allowed myself an easy cruise home in the sun. SS top and shorts in case you were wondering.
I had considered taking a long way home but decided against it. In the end it was a good decision since I'm knackered now and I'm about to go to bed.
An 05.00 departure awaits tomorrow ...............

« Reply #18768 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:12:20 am »
Empty legs necessitating a very steady plod, wet mitts due to forgetting to extract them from the washing machine yesterday and couldn't find the spares :facepalm: then ran through a big patch of glass right outside the office so will have to check for holes at lunchtime.

I love Mondays  ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #18769 on: 18 July, 2016, 02:04:28 pm »
Back on the Stache this morning. Quite uneventful with the exception of an incident when negotiating a gap in a raised bank. [pedaling through and the right pedal, at the bottom of its travel, struck something which caused enough of a deceleration that my left knee impacted the shifters on the bars.

'Kinell but that smarts :o

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18770 on: 18 July, 2016, 02:19:34 pm »
Kinda on the commute Friday and today.  Dahon Speed 7 folder this time.  After work Friday, I got a train to Pevensey and rode the lovely lanes to Normans Bay to meet the beautiful Butterfly for a weekend of camping and sunburn :/

Today, I'm just using it for the short stretches between stations.
Getting there...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18771 on: 18 July, 2016, 02:43:48 pm »
A slow trundle in this morning, after a tougher ride on Sunday than was strictly necessary.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #18772 on: 18 July, 2016, 08:32:16 pm »
Still cold enough for legwarmers and LS top over the SS top for me this am.
Less faffage meant that I could cruise in and still arrive in plenty of time.
Coming home was much warmer and the humidity made it fairly uncomfortable. Heaven knows what it'll be like tomorrow and yes, I'm determined to ride in despite starting 30 minutes earlier. Up at 04.00, what could possibly go wrong ?
Two less than ideal traffic incidents today: a close pass on the way in and some aggressive tail-gating as I was going over the A34 roundabout.
Both cars had bike carriers on their roofs  :facepalm:.

« Reply #18773 on: 18 July, 2016, 09:28:41 pm »
Kinda on the commute Friday and today.  Dahon Speed 7 folder this time.  After work Friday, I got a train to Pevensey and rode the lovely lanes to Normans Bay to meet the beautiful Butterfly for a weekend of camping and sunburn :/

Today, I'm just using it for the short stretches between stations.
Aww I'd have come said hi had I known you were about.

A few weeks ago I finally used the downmat I bought off you two last year and had a cracking sleep

As for me I cycled both ways today so I'm a bit weary of leg but had a fantastic brace of rides in the sunshine.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #18774 on: 19 July, 2016, 04:37:34 am »
Last night's commute home was in about the heaviest rain I've ever cycled in  :hand:

This is similar for me. Summer commutes through the heaviest rains. For some reason I thought the weather would be more "normal"  up your neck of the woods.