Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 956449 times)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #5150 on: 19 May, 2015, 09:43:39 am »
And finally.... Revenge of the Sith

Not as annoying as Phantom Menace and at least an order of magnitude less dull than Attack of the Clones.  Some gratuitous shoehorning of the plot and style in the final act to try to make it fit with A New Hope.  The greatly improved CGI Yoda crawled through a duct in the style of Bruce Willis at one point:  "Fucking believe this I cannot.  How happen to the same guy twice the same shit can?"  Also, there was a Wookiee fight.

I conclude that either this was merely a mediocre film, or my expectations had been lowered by the previous two to about the right level.

The lengthy fight scene at the end of Sith is dull, dull, dull.

It’s really quite annoying that arguably the best lightsaber fight in the entirety of Star Wars is the one at the end of Phantom Menace – really great swordfighting action and the best bit of music in the prequels too.

ian

« Reply #5151 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:06:15 am »
Extended sword-fighting scenes are always dull. Zorro could get them over with in about thirty seconds, in the process jumping over two balustrades, incapacitating four henchmen and saving the lady. The way to properly handle sword-fighting scenes was demonstrated in Indiana Jones when Indy faced with sword-swing henchman merely pulls out a revolver and shoots him. He doesn't go to the souq, buy a sword, and come back and spend 25 minutes fighting him.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5152 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:09:21 am »
The exception which proves the rule being Inigo Montoya versus The Dread Pirate Roberts.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5153 on: 19 May, 2015, 10:51:46 am »
The exception which proves the rule being Inigo Montoya versus The Dread Pirate Roberts.
And Inigo Montoya vs count Rugen.

Oh, wait, that's the same fillum.

Hmm - probably any film since then has not managed an interesting extended sword fighting scene.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5154 on: 19 May, 2015, 11:08:09 am »
OK, first things first, I'm not a fan of Star Wars.  It was pretty exciting stuff in 1977 but I was a teenager. It's not a film I re-watch.

Why do people get so excited by the prospect of new films in the series? Haven't they learned by now that George Lucas won't deliver what they want?

George Lucas ha a mostly poor track-record of making Star Wars sequels and prequels.

What does Lucas do in his spare time?  He generally has about 10 years to come up with a perfect film idea and then fills it with Teddy Bears and Hippy Space Rabbits.

Since about 1980 I've yet to meet a happy Star Wars fan.

Why do you torture yourselves so?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5155 on: 19 May, 2015, 11:12:50 am »
There is only one Star Wars film.  It is called Star Wars.  And I do not regard the epilogue medal ceremony as part of the canon.
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5156 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »
Why do people get so excited by the prospect of new films in the series? Haven't they learned by now that George Lucas won't deliver what they want?

There's a reason it's taken me 15 years to get round to watching them...

(Also not a fan, though I reckon the original is eminently watchable.  It's just that the original 3 films were a major part of my childhood, like Timmy Mallett, or Margaret Thatcher, or oxygen.)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5157 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:29:03 pm »

Hmm - probably any film since then has not managed an interesting extended sword fighting scene.

Bob Anderson was the Sword Master for that film.  Also for Fellowship of the Ring, the fight between Aragorn and the Uruk Hai is one of the best swordfighting scenes I've seen on film.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5158 on: 19 May, 2015, 12:40:56 pm »
I'm a div2 fan - I'd love to get more of the good stuff, but I don't expect it. I have to agree with Lee - why do people expect so much?

It's not just Star Wars though - flick back through this thread for anything similar. Prometheus springs to mind.
Same with movie adaptations of much-loved comics - they will be shit. You know it. Stop filling my intertubes with fan dribble.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5159 on: 19 May, 2015, 04:43:31 pm »
I'm a div2 fan - I'd love to get more of the good stuff, but I don't expect it. I have to agree with Lee - why do people expect so much?

It's not just Star Wars though - flick back through this thread for anything similar. Prometheus springs to mind.
Same with movie adaptations of much-loved comics - they will be shit. You know it. Stop filling my intertubes with fan dribble.

Agreed.

It's actually quite noticeable, and tragic,, the surprise in critics' voices, when a sequel isn't a disappointment.

The ones I can remember:

Terminator 2 (although it has a few cringy moments for the kids).
Aliens
Godfather Part 2
Toy Story sequels
The Bourne Identity follow ups with Matt Damon.
Clint Eastwood's Spag Westerns

Plenty of other movies had sequels as good or better than the original but the criteria is having a great original.

ian

« Reply #5160 on: 19 May, 2015, 05:20:18 pm »
Star Wars was a formative piece of my childhood. I carry a heavy disappointment to this day that my parents never bought me a Millennium Falcon. Instead I had to go around to my friend Neil's who not only had the MF, but an entire array of Star Wars merchandise. This meant that I always had to play the Empire and not even a cool part of the Empire, like Darth Vader. I had to be the stupid TIE Fighter pilot who crashed into a rock. Argh. Asteroid. Boom. While Han Solo and Chewie would pilot the MF around the room laughing heartily at my demise and yet another victory for the plucky Rebels (nowadays, of course, they're be a proscribed terror organisation). And like many a young boy in late 1970s, my first inkling that females could be anything but an annoyance was though the divine vessel of Princess Leia. I had no idea what I'd need a Princess Leia for, but I figured it wouldn't be so bad if she came around to hang out. Even if I still had to fly the damn TIE fighter. And who didn't want to be plucked from humdrum obscurity in their dull home towns and pitched onto the grand stage to battle an evil Empire. Han Solo was so cool I wanted to be him too. There was a brief spell in my junior school when all you could hear were assorted bad Wookie impressions. I had to sit in the corridor for a week for making such a noise while hitting Darren 'coconut head' Flint in the head with my mighty Wookie paw. Darth Vader, of course, was the villain to end all villains and a inspiration to every creepy heavy breathing phone caller thereafter.

The Empire Strikes Back was no let down. Then came Return of the Jedi, the main consolation of which was some of the stupid teddy bears got blown up and I was probably old enough to know why I'd like Princess Leia to come around and hang out.

I think the fact that I can't even remember the names of the newer films says as much about them as needs to be said. The first one was execrable, the second and third merely plumbing in the sub-levels of dull.

Andrew

« Reply #5161 on: 19 May, 2015, 05:52:07 pm »
I remember going to see the first Star Wars. There was a group of us, including Peter Jackson (yes, he of LOTR etc). We took the train into Wellington, a journey time of around 90 minutes, including connecting bus, for me. I remember us having to run to catch the train home.

The film was like no other I'd seen before. A real game changer special effects wise. To this day, I remember the opening shot of a star ship as it passes over you. It seemed miles long. As much as I enjoyed it, I've seemingly not been sufficiently moved to bother with the others. I have seen one or two but remember sod all about them!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5162 on: 19 May, 2015, 05:56:03 pm »
I didn't get to see the original until 1983 :o but when I did it was on a GBFO screen at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road after five pints of Theakstons Old Peculier...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Andrew

« Reply #5163 on: 19 May, 2015, 06:23:59 pm »
Sounds like an ideal viewing experience!

I didn't know the Dominion was once a cinema. I saw Alexei Sayle there once (he was on stage BTW, not in the audience!) and that was in the 80s sometime. It would have been a  humungous cinema. Like back in the old-un days.

I went to what was the old Renoir (now the Curzon Bloomsbury) recently. I missed the old big cinema but have to admit the smaller salon was an improvement; the sound was brilliant.

Chris S

« Reply #5164 on: 19 May, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
The Matrix.

This will probably always be in the Top 5 of my All Time Top 10 films. It has links with real word stuff.

For example - Agent Smith's big soliloquy (the First part): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb6yOklzHMI

Where he says "You know, the first matrix was designed....." - The building on the right through the window is  Chifley Tower: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chifley_Tower#/media/File:Chifley_Tower_western_side.jpg

I worked there for a month, the year after The Matrix was made. I may have done a mini-tour of Sydney, based on The Matrix.
Trivia: Chifley Tower has the sexiest lift voices In. The. World. That breathy Marilyn Monroe voice saying  "Thirteenth Flooooorr....." first thing in the morning, really set me up for the day.  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5165 on: 19 May, 2015, 07:16:36 pm »

Agreed.

It's actually quite noticeable, and tragic,, the surprise in critics' voices, when a sequel isn't a disappointment.

The ones I can remember:

Aliens
Godfather Part 2
Toy Story sequels

Plenty of other movies had sequels as good or better than the original but the criteria is having a great original.
ironically I have to disagree about examples 1, 2 and 4 :P
(but I get your drift, I think ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #5166 on: 19 May, 2015, 07:57:15 pm »
The lengthy fight scene at the end of Sith is dull, dull, dull.

It’s really quite annoying that arguably the best lightsaber fight in the entirety of Star Wars is the one at the end of Phantom Menace – really great swordfighting action and the best bit of music in the prequels too.

I used to think that the original Obi Wan vs. Vader was the best.  When I see footage of a pair of 8th Dan kendoka, I understand why it's the best. 

For example:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykvof57xWs&spfreload=10

The trouble is, it's just not that photogenic.  The Ray Parks one is spectacular, but it's definitely Movie-Do.

IIRC, Bob Anderson wasn't just the sword master, he actually did the shots in the Vader kit (at least, he did on Empire) because the visual field was so restricted that nobody else could be trusted not to brain someone with the stick.  Considering how often I've managed hit myself in the back of the head, this was probably a good thing.

Bob Anderson was the Sword Master for that film.  Also for Fellowship of the Ring, the fight between Aragorn and the Uruk Hai is one of the best swordfighting scenes I've seen on film.

Even with the double cut when he loses the sword while he's pinned to the tree…   ;D
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #5167 on: 20 May, 2015, 02:37:09 pm »

Agreed.

The ones I can remember:

Aliens
Godfather Part 2
Toy Story sequels

Naahh, Godfather 2 was at least as good as 1.  It must be 3 you have in mind, Shirley? Much later, repetitive stuff (horses heads in beds way above their league) and not based on the book by Puzo. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #5168 on: 20 May, 2015, 02:56:44 pm »
I meant that these sequels WEREN'T a disappointment.

Godfather 2 was pure excellence, especially the Las Vegas, Fredo Corleone/Hyman Roth, episode.

Jakob

« Reply #5169 on: 20 May, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »

Because George Lucas isn't doing it?.
I know that I'm living out a childhood dream working on it :).

« Reply #5170 on: 21 May, 2015, 10:20:39 am »
I meant that these sequels WEREN'T a disappointment.

Godfather 2 was pure excellence, especially the Las Vegas, Fredo Corleone/Hyman Roth, episode.

Oops, I am not normally dyslexcick.  I do agolopise.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Jakob

« Reply #5171 on: 21 May, 2015, 09:25:17 pm »
Mad Max: Fury Road. It's very well made, the designs are awesome, but I found the action sequences a bit meh.
Certainly decent, but not the action-movie miracle that many claim it to be.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5172 on: 24 May, 2015, 10:03:09 pm »
The Imitation Game.  Boring. Cobbled together out of bits of other films, predictable partly because most of the story's been gone over umpteen times in the last 20 years and partly because the bits that haven't were hackneyed rehashes of similar situations elsewhere.  Also sprinkled with Americanisms for the dimwits on the other side because they can't be arsed figuring out UKisms and larded with modern clichés, e.g. "can you give us a moment?"

CRAP.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5173 on: 24 May, 2015, 11:08:27 pm »
To be fair, they tried to make it less predictable by deviating from history by a hefty margin...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5174 on: 25 May, 2015, 08:10:12 am »
Yebbut the content of the deviations was bad soap opera.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight