Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 3044915 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
The pelican runs on sugar!
Miguel is one of the fastest cutters in his team - or pelotón - recognised by his bosses as among the most efficient in the country.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The pelican runs on sugar!
Miguel is one of the fastest cutters in his team - or pelotón - recognised by his bosses as among the most efficient in the country.

The sugar fields were where Fidel's bunch practised re-education.  Trabajo hace libertad or some such.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
We went past three signs for Uckinghall today and NONE of them had been vandalised.  I despair of today's youth.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

The departure boards at Peterborough Station have been enhanced with a little video in the corner. It is a person signing the destination and platform number for each train. There is no sound.

Is this the daftest idea ever or am I missing something?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Beardy

• Shedist
The departure boards at Peterborough Station have been enhanced with a little video in the corner. It is a person signing the destination and platform number for each train. There is no sound.

I noticed this when on Wakefield Westgate station a few weeks ago, so it sounds like the are doing the stations along the East Coast mainline. When I was watching the signer was doing so in sync with the tannoy announcements.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

I noticed this when on Wakefield Westgate station a few weeks ago, so it sounds like the are doing the stations along the East Coast mainline. When I was watching the signer was doing so in sync with the tannoy announcements.

That would make more sense*.

The one I saw was a board with a list of departures, a white highlight around each one in turn with the signer signing the highlighted one.

*Though even if in time with the tannoy announcement, what is the benefit of a signer over just putting the words and numbers up?
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
For some people, following English is much harder to parse and BSL is easier.

I personally am less convinced about basic platforms/times, but BSL for announcements (as long as there is text too) is good cos sometimes the English word used is weird and doesn't always translate clearly to BSL "Deaf Way" communication style.

barakta

Clearing out my recently deceased stepdad's office today. He was an Aviation Medical Examiner and a sole practitioner GP before that - both previously at a different building. He appears to have moved items from his 1980s medical practice when he moved to this house in 2001!

The oldest expired item was 1983 and lots from 1989 and even 2001 and pre 2020. Lots of 1980s suture material, expired needles and endless expired dressings. Fortunately he still has a sharps box.

We also found a yellowed airway, 2 catheter bags, a suprapubic catheter hole making metal stabby thing, 4 stethoscope heads, 5 blood pressure cuffs, endless packets of effervescent cocodamol and strepsils including some which had oozed sticky thick yellow stuff over half the contents. Various ancient ECG machine parts and 1980s and 1990s era medical machines.

Mum tried to get him to clear this stuff during Covid while he couldn't work but he wouldn't have it and said she could do it when he was dead. So he is now dead and I am mocking him soundly!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
That sounds like a treasure trove of medical whatnots!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

We went past three signs for Uckinghall today and NONE of them had been vandalised.  I despair of today's youth.
Sad, innit? The yoof locally are no more enterprising.
The signs for the hamlet of Kinnell near here have not been improved either.

Cudzoziemiec

Clearing out my recently deceased stepdad's office today. He was an Aviation Medical Examiner and a sole practitioner GP before that - both previously at a different building. He appears to have moved items from his 1980s medical practice when he moved to this house in 2001!

The oldest expired item was 1983 and lots from 1989 and even 2001 and pre 2020. Lots of 1980s suture material, expired needles and endless expired dressings. Fortunately he still has a sharps box.

We also found a yellowed airway, 2 catheter bags, a suprapubic catheter hole making metal stabby thing, 4 stethoscope heads, 5 blood pressure cuffs, endless packets of effervescent cocodamol and strepsils including some which had oozed sticky thick yellow stuff over half the contents. Various ancient ECG machine parts and 1980s and 1990s era medical machines.

Mum tried to get him to clear this stuff during Covid while he couldn't work but he wouldn't have it and said she could do it when he was dead. So he is now dead and I am mocking him soundly!
The medical stuff my retired surgeon grandfather kept in his attic several decades after he ceased surgeoning included (a medical form of) morphine. Which almost got him into trouble when the police came round after a burglary.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The medical stuff my retired surgeon grandfather kept in his attic several decades after he ceased surgeoning included (a medical form of) morphine. Which almost got him into trouble when the police came round after a burglary.

Shades of my Lincolnshire correspondent trying to distract the ossifers from what his dad was obliviously growing in the greenhouse...

barakta

Yeah, there were definitely dubiously legal items here too...

Not so much a treasure trove so much as yellowed browning eww. Mum had to kick him not to use out of date stuff in practice even recently like syringes etc which probably doesn't matter but isn't lawful and would have got him black marks at audit. He really didn't like throwing things away, but equally would over order things too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
(I have of course snaffled a handful of out-of-date syringes for the measured application of catalyst/adhesive/flux etc.)

barakta

(I have of course snaffled a handful of out-of-date syringes for the measured application of catalyst/adhesive/flux etc.)

TBH we'd been nicking the out of date syringes at previous visits too.

Today's find was £200 in cash in an envelope, in his top desk drawer, he had £0 in his wallet which Mum had been surprised by cos he historically pre-Covid had 'emergency cash'.

There's also some Covid PPE which I'll pinch a bit of but most aren't as good as the masks we have already.

Cudzoziemiec

But if you tell people you're using a syringe, they will assume you mean a hypodermic...